Lesson plan

Discussion in 'High School' started by inlovewithwords, Sep 12, 2007.

1. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Sep 12, 2007

Hi! I'm teaching exreme struggling readers and writers. I need to teach them how to properly take notes. I need a lesson that is going to at least try to get them interested. Does anyone have some lessons or activities to show them HOW to take good notes? Any good short articles that you know that the kids could practice taking notes on?

3. wvsasha

wvsasha Companion

Sep 12, 2007

4. mstemple05

mstemple05 Cohort

Sep 12, 2007

My middle school science teacher told us that in college the teacher will only write one word on the board-or maybe nothing at all. He told us that we had to listen very carefully to key words and right down what was very important. After telling us that, he showed us a video (it was slightly dumb, but he had a point) and we had to pretty much outline it and write down what the main and major points of the video were. He collected it and we reviewed it the next day.

So, I think if you want to make it a lesson, you could introduce the concept of note-taking. Make up a somewhat silly topic-rain, dust (we had to write about lint for detentions), tv, carpet-whatever, and then give a 50 min lesson on it. As a trial type deal, you make notes on what it is you want them to grasp and the main points u hit. Collect them all, grade them, pass them back, go over it the next day, and explain what they should be looking for.

Hope this helps..

5. inlovewithwords

inlovewithwords Companion

Sep 13, 2007

yes taht is great! Does anyone have a lecture or something that I could read to the students for them to take notes on? It is hard to find these types of texts.