Lesson Plan Wish List?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by gutterballjen, Mar 8, 2010.

1. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 8, 2010

I was subbing for the first time on Friday in a kindergarten classroom. Needless to say, it was a very exciting but nerve wracking time. The teacher left me a great lesson plan, which included a breakdown of the day with times of restroom breaks and things like that.

So the day started, and everything was going pretty well until it was time to talk about The Grouchy Lady Bug. Everyone had something to say, and it got quite crazy.

It was then that I realized that I wished the teacher told me her way of getting her class' attention when she needs to get them all focused. This class was very structured. I know that if I did something different, it would have been awful. Fortunately, the aide finally said the magic phrase, "1 2 3 Eyes on me", and the class said, "1 2 Eyes on you". Everyone got quiet and looked at her.

It got me thinking. What do you wish teachers would include in their lesson plan to make your day go easier?

3. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 10, 2010

ya teachers if you have a special phrase such as this that works everytime please tell us.

4. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

Sounds to me like the teacher left a great lesson plan.

It's kind of a damned-if-you-do or damned-if-you-don't if you micromanage too much.

If she left instructions on how to conduct the class, some subs would feel offended because they have their "own" way.

I think I would want exactly what your teacher left you, nothing more, nothing less.

5. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 10, 2010

I was thrilled with the lesson plan she left me. I couldn't have asked for anything more. When working with kids that small in a classroom that is so structured, changing their attention grabber can lead to chaos. I can completely understand how people could feel micro managed...i mean I found my own way to remind them how to act in the hall and to get them back on task. However, that one phrase is kind of like an easy button for quieting everyone down at once.

6. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

I wish kindergarten and first grade teachers would stop leaving instructions of morning meeting as "The kids know what to do."

It never fails that the kid whose job it is to lead can't remember the activities, half the class says it one thing, and the other half says "no we haven't done that for a long time" And then when you take over and tell what activities to do, two or three kids will interrupt repeatedly "but that's not what we do."

The only teacher that really bugged me was one who was a bit anal about everything. I realized this before meeting her because she had 200 markers aligned perfectly in a basket next to the markboard. I was teaching her class on a day I was having almost nonstop seizures so I was out of it to begin with and not as able to move around as normal. And she kept running in every 40 minutes or so to do things like put the markers back perfectly, or shuffle the collected papers into an absolute perfect pile. I was like, "sheesh, at least give me a chance to put things away."

7. Unbeknownst

Unbeknownst Cohort

Mar 10, 2010

lol, sounds like a helicopter mom got past security and actually made it as a teacher.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2010

I usually include notes about which children can be depended upon to run errands, etc. I also leave necessary medical notes (Some of my children have seizures and I want the sub to know how to recognize symptoms and how to deal with it.) Luckily, we have one sub who I use almost exclusively and my assistant is almost never out the same day I am.

9. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Mar 10, 2010

Agreed...and not only Kinder teachers, but many elementary teachers say this, but somehow the kids get Sub Day Amnesia.

To the OP, it sounds like a great lesson plan!

My wish list?

I love the minute by minute instructions, but sometimes the teachers don't always lay them out well and I miss things.

I wish they would put instructions for bathroom breaks, drinks of water, and pencil sharpening. Many times a kid brings up a pencil and hands it to me to sharpen. Having had way too many colds lately, I'm not inclined to touch kid stuff any more than necessary, but in many classrooms the kids aren't allowed to use the sharpener.

Also, what supplies are they allowed to use? Does the teacher hand out replacement pencils? Let them use her markers?

ANd do I have to walk them to the playground or let them go from the door? Same with picking them up.

And if the kids have to put their chairs up at the end of the day, please let me know.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2010

Could it be that, knowing she had an aide who knew the routine, she didn't feel it was necessary?

11. gutterballjen

gutterballjen Comrade

Mar 10, 2010

It very well could be the case, but I still would have liked a heads up. Not knowing little things like that made things more difficult.

12. sjcgirl07

sjcgirl07 Companion

Mar 11, 2010

I understand where you are coming from though. I get frustrated when the teacher doesn't leave a detailed plan or enough of plan to go through the whole day. I subbed in music for the first time over my christmas break from school and it was horrible. It was a school that I sub at alot and love but the teacher left plans with another teacher and when she brought them down the plans said things like Kindergarten class- Play this "game"(don't remember what it was) They know what to do. 3rd grade recorders-Hot cross buns band- they know what to do. 4th grade recorders- Scales-they know what to do. Adaptive music(5th-8th)-Play driedel-They know what to do. 5th and 6th grade chorus-Study hall. 2nd grade-Bingo-They know what to do.(but then didn't leave out the required materials). It's hard when teachers just expect you to know what to do and you don't. Thank god, for the few classes that I really had absolutly no idea there was an ed. tech in the room for all those and they knew what to do or in one case asked the most well behaved student there what to do because the ed. tech didn't normally come to music with them.

13. Toak

Toak Cohort

Mar 11, 2010

Wow, music teachers always leave me their lessons but they also have movies for band in case I'm not a music teacher (which is great because even though I was in band for 7 years i'm completely tone deaf. Don't think I ever played a right note once outside of private lessons) and they have a tape for the kids to sing along to in music

*I did have the kids play something on their recorders once when their were no lesson plans and all the kids brought on. I worked around my total lack of knowledge by asking the class after each child played if that was correct or not (they didn't realize I had no clue and was going by majority rules)

14. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Mar 11, 2010

I just had a sub assigment for a K class yesterday too. Yeah, it would have been great to know the signal phrase to get the children's attention - I only found out about it when the aide used, "Stop Look and Listen" and the kids would answer back. I then modeled it and it worked for the kids.

But I used my own catch phrase - "123 Eyes on Me" and it also was effective.

15. teacherincanada

teacherincanada Rookie

Mar 11, 2010

I like it when teachers have a separate "sub binder" with a whole bunch of information... specific classroom routines, which students are helpful/challenging, medical problems, what to do in emergencies.
    One time a teacher even had a class list and a short blurb about each student (if they were helpful, if they were a strong student, etc)
    Also - if there is a student with a special need it's important to include that too!
    Yesterday I had a kid with Aspergers who had a lot of trouble getting along with the other kids. I couldn't figure out how much of it was him being annoying, or them picking on him (what comes first? the chicken or the egg...).
    I only found out at the END of the day from another teacher that student had Aspergers. It's helpful if the teacher just leaves a brief note about a student like this and what strategies one could use if they encounter problems.

It was my understanding that all teachers are required to have this "sub binder", but I rarely see it.

I know some subs get annoyed, overwhelmed or offended when teachers leave too much information. But if it's part of a separate binder then it's just like an "optional" thing for subs to refer to that can be really helpful!

When I am a permanent teacher I am going to be so considerate of the subs and leave helpful information!

16. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Mar 11, 2010

AMEN!! That happens a lot when I sub kinder. or 1st. They think they know their kids can do, but maybe they can't or maybe they do only cuz' she/he is around making them do.