Lesson Plan Question

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by A_Pre-K_Teacher, Sep 6, 2008.

1. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

One of the lessons I'm doing this week is Rainbow Fish (talk about sharing, then students will use water color to paint a fish, then I will share "scales", we will display these afterwards.

The day I'm doing it my professor of one of my masters courses will be in to observe/interact, so of course I will be nervous, and want to make sure that I'm doing things that are acceptable in her eyes!

These fish will be cut out. So my question is, Is it okay to have them previously cut out, or should I have the students cut them out? Do I base it on the purpose of my lesson, which for that one is first, talking about sharing, but then also, intro to water colors and how we use them. It will only be the 4th day of school, so I know that the cutting will end up taking an extensive amount of time.

Thoughts?

3. Maxadoodle

Maxadoodle Comrade

Sep 6, 2008

You could have a simple fish shape drawn in black sharpie on paper. The children could watercolor the entire paper; when dry (the next day) they could cut out the fish themselves and then glue on the scale.

4. vbubbles1874

vbubbles1874 Companion

Sep 6, 2008

It depends on how well your kids can cut. I would say that you have them pre-cut. I have used tissue paper ovals in the past and then also cut out an oval from aluminum foil to represent the shiny scale.

On the other hand, having the kids cut out their own fish could make your lesson take up all the allotted time and demonstrate your ability to teach! :)

5. hdb2008

hdb2008 Rookie

Sep 6, 2008

With a professor coming in to observe you--I would have the children cut out their own fish.

6. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Sep 6, 2008

For me, it is very early in the year (we've been at it one week). I tried to let my class cut out a circle the other day, and ended up with half my class crying because they couldn't do it, and the other half having fun cutting the paper up.
    I think, at least for my class, :eek: I would cut the fish out myself. just my :2cents: They will enjoy the painting a lot more if they aren't stressed out by the cutting aspect, but like I said, I am speaking as if we are talking about my class. :dunno:

7. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 6, 2008

If it was me with my class i would have the fish cut out as my early 3s have not yet developed their cutting skills. Water color painting can be tricky enough for them to get the hang of but I use a verbal cue "water paint water'" "water paint water"-- I would defintly read the story and then talk about sharing---after all that is the whole concept behind the project correct?

8. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 6, 2008

Wow!
    How about if you have cardboard cut outs of the fish and let them trace them AND then cut them out? I did this with my Pre-K's in CA and it helps them sharpen those skills that your Professor will be thrilled to observe.(JUST A little SUGGESTION), THEN use the rest of Maxadoodle's idea. You will be off the hook with the cutting while the professor's there BUT at least he'll/she'll observe another skill that Pre-K students should be working or have already mastered. ( Since you are introducing Water colors, this next part can be for other artwork besides the fish.) You can offer them choices of how to decorate their cut outs. Some may want to collage them, or color them with markers or crayons, etc. You are allowing them to be individuals instead of all doing the same cookie cutter thingy. You'll end up with so many varieties of your cut out AND it's INDIVIDUALITY that has been put to the test!
    Children are miracles that can take our breath away.
    Rebel1

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Sep 7, 2008

What about having cutout fish and letting children choose from two different colors, sizes, etc.? Have the focus be comparing things instead of cutting things out.

"Billy Bob, would you like the small blue fish or the big blue fish?"

10. SusieP.

SusieP. New Member

Sep 7, 2008

I'd pre-cut my fish, but the thing to remember is that your observer is coming to watch YOU, not judge the kids on their skills. So as long as you are organized and demonstrate that you can manage your class, and you can thoughtfully break the task into appropriate-sized pieces for your students, you'll be golden. :)

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Sep 7, 2008

That's GREAT!
    The cut outs can be a BIG, medium & small ones for tracing!
    I forgot all about the sizes. How can I forget?
    That's how all my cardboard pieces were; BIG, medium & small.
    It's bedtime :yawn:
    Good night y'all,
    Rebel1

12. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Sep 7, 2008

Thanks everybody! I've decided to have a variety of size fish for them to choose from to paint, I will do the cutting. My students are coming in very low and not exposed to much, so I am worried I will have the same situation as teacherSMK.

13. young_ones

young_ones Rookie

Sep 8, 2008

Anything pre-made in my mind is a big no no. I am all for individuality and self-help. Who cares if your fish looks like a giant blod of watercolors and scales...you know what it is and more importantly you did it yourself! If your being obseverved do not pre-cut them. It will go against you. JMO :)

14. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 9, 2008

I am also a big believer in DAP, but the purpose of this activity is not cutting. It is sharing, etc. Cut out fish seem appropriate. Let us know what your professor says.

15. teresaro

teresaro Rookie

Sep 9, 2008

Rainbow Fish lesson

I feel the same way that Blue does.- 'd make sure that your superior knows that cutting isn't what you're focusing on and cut out the basic shapes before hand. I plan to do an activity where the kids paint a fish-shape with bubble-wrap (gives the illusion of scales) or let them use oil crayons and paint over it with watercolors- supposed to give the effect of fish swimming in water.
    Either way, I'll do pre-cut shapes, because that isn't going to be the focus of the results I want. JMHO:love:

16. amethysst

amethysst Rookie

Sep 10, 2008

I know this is late in coming .....but I would have had them cut them the day before and then remind them today we will complete your Rainbow Fish project and talk about sharing.....I know in my state we are also required to have projects that are ongoing and not all steps done in one shot....

Now that being said . . . how did the observation go?

17. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Sep 11, 2008

i plan to do a similar activity with cut outs and bingo daubers to emphasize sharing and working together---each child will start out with a cut out and one dauber. They will get to daub with it for a couple of minutes and then I will say pass. they will pass it to the person on their left. Then they will all daub for a couple of minutes and then pass again. the emphasis is on sharing and working together--a skill as important as an y other.

18. A_Pre-K_Teacher

A_Pre-K_Teacher Rookie

Sep 18, 2008

Thanks for all of the advise! At the last minute my professor was not able to make it! As for the lesson, they painted the fish and the next day I let students cut them out during center time. I actually have many fairly good cutters!

19. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 18, 2008

I am so glad it went well, and I am even more glad that you found that you had cutters. Today I found that 2 of my children could read color words w/o colored ink clues. I was so surprised. I love this age.

20. Lead Teacher

Lead Teacher Rookie

Oct 4, 2008

Remember, it's the process not the end product that matters most for children!

21. jmbabb

jmbabb New Member

Oct 6, 2008

Help with the Rainbow Fish activity

May I first say that Rainbow Fish is a great example of a sharing experience for the preschool classroom. In response to your question I would say that cutting the fish out of construction paper could be almost impossible for a three year old and still difficult for many four year olds. May I suggest an idea that I use in my classroom with this activity. Instead of creating the fish out of construction paper I use paper plates. By cutting a triangle shape out of one side of the plate you can create a mouth and then use that cut out piece to staple on the other side for a tail. I think that this would be considered a craft and not original art work, so in my opinion you could easily have this first step already done. Another fun idea is to paint a mixture of tempera paint and glue on aluminum foil. When this dries you can cut it into small squares that make beautiful scales. Good Luck!