Lesson Plan help =)

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by jennstarr12, Oct 16, 2008.

1. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Oct 16, 2008

I am looking for some ideas on a phonics lesson plan. It is going to be on the letter "p" and will not be on the first day I introduce the letter, it will be the third (we work on one letter a week). Anyone have some really great, fun lesson ideas? I'm getting my first observation done with this lesson so I want it to be great!

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2008

How about reading an excerpt from 'If you give a Pig a Pancake'...Call attention to the 'p' words in the title and ask kids to give you a 'thumbs up' everytime they hear you read a 'p' word...Send the kids off to 'read the room' for 'p' words- they can write the word on a post it or draw a picture of the item that starts with the /p/ sound. Gather to share their findings. They could go complete a p coloring picture or phonics page when you are done sharing.

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 16, 2008

My kids absolutely LOVE letter hunts! I do one for each letter we learn. I give them a piece of paper that says "Pp Hunt" on the top with 10 lines underneath. We first talk about the letter Pp and what sound it makes, how to write it, and what it means when a word STARTS with the letter p. I then ask them where they can look around the room to find words that start with P. I call them detectives and give them clip boards to put their papers on. They get SO excited. I usually have about 30 minutes planned for the activity, and they don't want to stop when the time is up. And you wouldn't believe how many words they can find. I thought Nn would be impossible, but many of them filled their sheets up. I'm actually doing my Pp Hunt tomorrow afternoon. :)

5. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Oct 16, 2008

i dont know if i could trust all 18 of them to wander around the room at the same time lol I wish i could cuz that sounds great!

6. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 16, 2008

Oh, if you do the Pp Hunt and need more time, I sometimes have them sit in a circle and they take turns reading a word from their list.

7. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 16, 2008

Believe me, they can probably do it. I have an incredibly rowdy crowd of 21. I use a quiet voice and tell them that "Detectives are very serious about their jobs. They are very very quiet while they are hunting for something."

8. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Oct 16, 2008

maybe i will give it a test run tomorrow with our letter this week to see how they do.

9. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 16, 2008

I'd highly suggest it! My class is very restless and incredibly loud during play time, but they do the letter hunts with such enthusiasm and they always stay on-task. It's one of the few activities I can always count on to go well.

10. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2008

So what do they do all day? Sit?

11. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Oct 16, 2008

um sometimes yes lol if you'd like me to I explain everyhting I do in a day that requires movement I can but there are never times when all of my studrnts are just walking around the room to do an assignment. im not really sure why your response presumes that because they dont ALL wander around the room at the same time means all they do is sit all day. thats a little silly.

12. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Oct 16, 2008

i have a very..interesting class to say the least and quite a few very special cases. ive done "write the room" activities for centers but thats always been just one group (3-4 students) andI have a lot that really require my full attention just to sit properly in a chair or walk to to the carpet.

anyway i think it is something i'll at least try. maybe not for my lesson! because I'm not sure I trust that for an observation!

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 16, 2008

I just ask because a class of 18 sounds like heaven....you seemed overwhelmed with the idea of sending them off with work to do on their feet...Can't imagine why mid-way through October you haven't had them all up and moving through the room with purposeful work to do- I wasn't suggesting 'wandering'...

14. jennstarr12

jennstarr12 Companion

Oct 16, 2008

it would be heaven with a group of children who behaved =) honestly im not going to get into it but I have some very difficult and unique issues of students in my class that make even a simple lesson plan hard. some days i can not even get through lessons. as it is the beginning of the school year and these are new students to the district things such as evaluations, child study team, etc are only just starting to happen. so as i said no, they do not just "sit" but I see no reason why they all need to be up and about in the room for successful learning to be taken place either. to be honest it is a little insulting to assume that I am overwhelmed because I can make the honest statement that my students are not at a point where that is an appropriate activity for them. with other classes sure. with the class I had last year-absolutely. with this one-not so much.

15. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 17, 2008

I hope your observation goes well. Behavior management is the most difficult thing for new teachers especially. I hope your administrator understands the 'make-up' of your class and is able to see that you are doing what you can given the group you have.

Did you try the hunt today to see how it goes?

16. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 17, 2008

I hope you tried it today! When I told my class we were doing a word hunt they started cheering. Seriously, if my crazy class can do any class can. ;)

17. kinderokSA

kinderokSA Rookie

Oct 17, 2008

Im doing the letter P next week and i read diff P books
    Lilly's Plastic Purse
    Pocket for Corduroy
    We talk about Pooh and Paddington.
    For movement activities - we play past the pumpkin/potatoe
    I also have a Pajama day - we eat popcorn/punch
    You can make pizza (hard)
    I have the Alphabet Frog Street series - so we sing Penelope Pig and also review letter cards and things that are pink.
    So much too do....

HOpe this helps

18. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Oct 17, 2008

We just did P and I had them make Pink and Purple Polka Dotted Pigs. They were cute. I just copied a pig clip art and had them color it and roll tissue paper to it to make it polka dotted.

I also was observed this week. We just got that Phonics book from Fontaus and Pinnella. I did the lesson on sorting letters on a sorting mat. It was good. But, I haven't gotten feed back on it yet.

Finally, I am starting a Letter book in the writing center. So I get 9 pictures for the letter. For P I had pig, piano, pizza, pie, puppet, pumpkin, pan, penny, and something else. They kids had to cut the pictures out and put them into a predesigned book. After gluing in the picture they write an upper and lower case P at the top of each page. Then if that is done they pull the name cards off the pocket chart and write the word that goes with the picture. It was cute. This was the first week but I think as we keep going, it will get better.

I hope that helps. If you need anything let me know!