lesson plan help

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by shortee, Oct 20, 2007.

1. shortee

shortee Companion

Oct 20, 2007

I'm looking for any great ideas for teaching details and main idea in my 5th grade reading class. Any ideas would be appreciated. I'm looking for an idea for a literacy launch, a read aloud, a modeled lesson, a shared reading, etc. I'm being observed for this and I'm really nervous. :help:

3. Researcher

Researcher Rookie

Oct 21, 2007

Some things you can do (works really well when studying nonfiction):

1) Have the standard visual/picture of a hand or sandwich/burger. The palm/meat is the main idea, and the details are the fingers/toppings. Buns are intro/opening and closing.

2) Start with a fairly standard paragraph (could be content related, from the book you're reading, etc). Don't show the kids until you've cut it up into strips of sentences and shuffled (large strips of paper that slip into wall hangings are great for this). Then have groups of students/individuals put them together in the correct order. Works well with sequencing, but can be done with most other types of paragraphs.

3) Always model model model. Sometimes, putting up on a projector or easel is the best way to get a student's attention and remember it.

4) After you model model model, grab a student to help you with another model.

5) Have students edit paragraphs for content and grammar errors. This could be a morning activity on worksheet or board. Our class has regular writing workshops where students edit each other's writing.

6) If students can't highlight into their texts, make copies once in a while so they can. Have them underlight or highlight main idea sentences. Sometimes, we actually take those main idea sentences and use them to write a summary about what we just read.

7) For student led writing, have them write about what they know about. Once a topic is established (ex/ Friday is my favorite day of the week), they can Think-Talk-Write with a partner on details and then share with the class.

8) For more visuals, have them make a mobile of the main idea sentence (Ex/ Friday is my favorite day of the week), with details sticking off of it.

Good luck!

4. shortee

shortee Companion

Oct 23, 2007

Great ideas...thank you. I'll let you know how it goes.