Lesson plan help needed

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by heart teacher, Sep 28, 2005.

1. heart teacher

heart teacher Rookie

Sep 28, 2005

I need to plan some lessons around the theme of Nature, any suggestions? Also does anyone know where I could purchase some rocks, fossils, etc. or how to go about teaching rocks/minerals, etc.? ANy help is greatly appreciated!

3. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Sep 29, 2005

In Wal-marts craft section they have an aisle devoted to rocks and such. Don't think I've ever seen fossils though or anything of the like. Have them look at rocks and maybe sea sponge through magnifying glasses. Make earth bracelets by having them press various things from outside (go on a hike first) onto a strip of contact paper (leaves, grass, flowers). Press against another piece to make a bracelet shape and fasten it with velcro. Make a rock fossil (we've done this with small plastic dinosaurs) by using plaster of paris and letting the kids pick a rock and setting it into it. Let it dry and take the rock out to see the imprint. Also go to the library and look up nonfiction books on rocks and minerals. From there you will get more ideas.

4. scarlet_begonia

scarlet_begonia Comrade

Sep 29, 2005

I bought rocks, fossils, and minerals at a science store in my area. Maybe you could try the phone book and see what's in the area. My kids love to examine them with magnifyers--we also draw them. Are you tying dinosaurs in with fossils? Are you also doing trees/leaves for nature? You'd be amazed at how many different trees you can find on a nature walk around the block. My kids and I went on one recently and we found over a dozen different kinds of trees. Then we did all the 'normal' stuff you do with leaves--we classified, magnified, rubbed with crayons, and glued 'em. It took most of the day, they were so into it. I went to the bookstore and got a fandex family field guide for trees. I was able to identify almost all the leaves we got.

5. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Sep 30, 2005

In my science area next week I am putting leaves, acorns, pine cones and such. I will let the kids use magnify glasses and let them do leaf rubbings. In the writing center they will write a sentence about a leaf "My leaf is...."