Lesson plan help for next week

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by zoey'smom, Aug 28, 2010.

1. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 28, 2010

I hope everyone had a great start to the year. I have a very nice group so far. This is my first year back in preschool after 9 years. I also teach 20 kindergarten in the morning. The small preschool class in the afternoon is wonderful after having such a large group. I feel this year I am very unorganized and was not ready for school to start. The week before school I had kidney stones, my dad was in the hospital with a blocked bowel, fluid on the lungs and congestive heart failure. Also it was this week five years ago I lost my daughter to SIDS. It wasn't a good week. I just survived. I am going over to school this weekend to plan for this week.

I need help, we use creative curriculum, which is new to me and they just gave me the book two weeks ago and I haven't had the chance to look at them. What kind of things do you have them do at the beginning of the year? What kind of crafts do you do? Yesterday I read Brown Bear Brown Bear. I was thinking to do things with colors. Any suggestions would be great.

I also want to know how long does your circle time last and what kind of things do you do?

Thanks as always foe your help.

3. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

Briefly, CC allows you to use your own ideas and provides the framework. CC also focuses upon Developmentally Appropriate Practices. Depending upon your education and/or background, you should find plugging your own ideas in pretty easy.

Colors is a great beginning. With CC, the theme really doesn't matter as you are teaching to developmental goals. (Literacy, Math, etc.)

4. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 28, 2010

Thanks Blue.

5. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

I often do a colors theme and a shape theme toward the beginning of the year just to set some base info in them. I then move into All About Me! Some things I do during the color theme is having them make a rainbow out of fruit loops. This gets them sorting the colors. We made a book that had one page for each 8 colors. I had pictures they had to cut out and match to the correct page.

I too use CC and it's really flexible on letting you decide the themes, as well as the children picking themes. I would read the book soon though because it's all about observations and I really ran short on those last year because I didn't start a groove soon.

My grouptime is about 15minutes. We begin with a welcoming song that includes every child's name. We then go over who has what jobs for the day. Do attendance, weather, calendar, and sing/dance to a song or two and finish up by discussing our theme that week.

6. zoey'smom

zoey'smom Cohort

Aug 28, 2010

I am using your fruit loops idea. I love it. Do you do different theme each week?

7. geiwee

geiwee Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

I do a different theme every week or 2 weeks, depending on the theme. All About Me is usually 2 weeks because there are so many things to do with it, just like Farm or Animals are usually 2 weeks.

8. brejohnson88

brejohnson88 Comrade

Aug 29, 2010

Hey, I sent you a PM regarding the themes. Also, check out Vanna's website pre-kpages.com she has alot of different themes on the site with tons of activities to go along with them. I am doing the month of september all about me, families, homes, and pets. Pets is a 2 week theme just because I couldnt decide which activities to do and they have shortened weeks.

For circle time, we go over calender, weather, our rules since they are just learning them, and then i read a book or do a short activitiy that has something to do with our theme. When doing calender at first, i eased into it with them instead of just doing it all at once and having it like that for the rest of the year. Many of my students have very very short attention spans so easing into it has been good for them. Let me know if you need any ideas :)