Lesson plan format

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Guest, Aug 13, 2002.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 13, 2002

I was just curious what formats other teachers are required to use in their school districts. I have been teaching in my school for 4 years. We are required to write out lengthy lesson plans and are not allowed to use the standard "lesson plan books" that the rest of the teaching world uses. My principal does not feel that the "boxes" are adequate planning and requires us to write out detailed paragraphs for each subject each day. I just find this a little ridiculous, especially since the plans are for the teacher to use. I think a teacher should be able to use whateve format best fits her/him, as long as they are doing their planning and preparation. I was just curious what others thought about this.

3. Amanda

Amanda Administrator Staff Member

Aug 13, 2002

I feel bad for you :(

I had to turn in my lesson plans last year, and we were required to write the Objective, Activity, and Assessment. I thought that was bad. I know this may sound strange, but I spent so much time getting things in writing for the whole week that I wasn't as able to be creative and think about what I was teaching. The principal may have thought it would help to require the extra work, but I feel like it hurt my teaching. I think it may depend on the person. My thoughts are very organized and I am able to teach well without writing everything out in detail. Other people may have to write something down in order to think it through properly. Luckily, I switched schools and don't have to turn my lesson plans in any more. I will be using Scholastic's big lesson plan book.. it has big boxes to fill in activities, but I'll be using it for my benefit this year. The only thing required by the administrator is a year-long plan with objectives we plan to teach each month for each subject. :)

Hang in there. Even if you don't agree with your principal, you can't worry about something that you can't change. To make your life easier, however, can you get together with colleagues and write your lesson plans together? I did that near the end of the year and once a week we would sit down and fill out all of our objectives/activities/assessments. Then we would take turns preparing materials and running off copies. :) After this year, if this requirement really bothers you that much, you could look into switching schools! However, it is becoming more commonplace for aministrators to require all this extra paperwork to make it look like we're being held accountable. :rolleyes:

4. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 13, 2002

I agree with Amanda- this school will eventually have a high staff turnover unless the administration allows more flexibility in lesson planning.

I am required to have lesson plans for one week all the time, and the lessons are randomly checked twice per year. We can use any form we want, but I know this is unusual. I am switching schools and have no idea what to expect- I hope its just as flexible!

I usually write out lessons for myself, anyway, just so the following year I don't have to remember what I did for warm-up, what centers corresponded, etc. Some lessons I even write quotes to make sure I get certain info in; other lessons I only write one or two sentences or even words.

I hope you can find a way to make your required format useful for you. Write your lesson plans on the computer so that you can re-use objectives for multiple lessons, and keep your assessments similar on paper, even if not in practice (teacher observation, graded work). Multi-day lessons will also help in giving you less to type.

5. Seich30

Seich30 Comrade

Aug 13, 2002

We are allowed to use any format--I do them on the computer. I have all my basics filled in and then just add the lessons that change daily. We do have to include certain elements like Sunshine State Standards, Weekly Social Skill lesson, etc. We have to have them ready for weekly checks. This doesn't bother me, because I would go crazy if I didn't have everything ready on Monday for the week.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 13, 2002

We were taught the 4mat lesson planning at the "new teacher workshops" we had to attend the first 3 years we worked in the system. I didn't like it. It was too long, drawn out and time consuming. We aren't required to use it... thank goodness. You could spend the whole weekend planning for the next week using that plan. Luckily, I can choose whatever format I want. I do mine on the computer, too. I made my own form. Most of my day is repetitive each day due to basic skills, circle time, etc. The only thing I changed was the table work time. But this is preschool. If it were a specific higher grade, I know I'd have to do more and go into more detail.

Lori

7. Guest

Guest Guest

Aug 16, 2002

child is the real lesson plan. keep him in mind and make the lesson plan

8. 5leafclover

5leafclover Companion

Aug 16, 2002

We aren't required to do too much as far as lesson planning at my new school. We just have to show how we are using the different amounts of instructional time for each subject. Math is 90 minutes and Reading is 2 and a half hours, science is 30 and social studies is 30. Even though we aren't required to do too much I still like to have very organized lesson plans. Mine are more like a daily agenda though. I have the pages blocked out into time periods and in those times I write the subject and a few lines to remind me which activity we are doing at that time. It helps keep me on track.

We turn in plans every three weeks.

Nick

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 16, 2002

We can do whatever works for us. I use a regular planbook and write down everything: lesson pages, topic, homework, a little c if something needs to be copied, ho for handout, references to alternate sources or advanced work on that subject. I circle the HW for homework. On the Friday before that week, I go through and find all the little c's and make my copies (usually long before that Friday). I keep 4 weekly files for a month and place all my handouts in the appropriate files. I teach 5th grade plus 8th grade math. My school never collects the planbooks. We are free to augment our curriculum in any way we feel is desirable.
    I consider myself very lucky!

10. AngelaS

AngelaS Cohort

Aug 17, 2002

I just found out my new school's system- we have to write objectives for each of the four subjects we teach on the board each day. The same objectives can be used for multiple days. Written plans we have are strictly our own. I'm very relieved!