Lesson Plan Book

Discussion in 'General Education' started by EiffelTower, Jun 27, 2013.

1. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

I found this website through Pinterest and thought the lesson plan books were super cute and practical (although a bit pricey, but still super cute!). Now, I've always typed up my lesson plans, but I'm finding that after 12 years of teaching, I don't really need to be as detailed as I used to be and could probably get by with an actual lesson plan book this upcoming year. Now I just need to decide what cover I want to buy!

3. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

Those are way too expensive considering you can find a decent planbook for less than $10.00. Or you can make copies of blank planning pages and put them in a binder. That's what many of my fellow teachers do at my school.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Jun 27, 2013

Those are cute planners, but not worth $60!! Put that money towards buy a nice looking binder for a couple of bucks and just print out your lesson plans.

This site has a lot of great lesson plan templates to use: http://www.lessonplans4teachers.com/templates.php

5. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

If you search Erin Condren here on the forums, there are several other threads discussing the various planners. I have her life planner and I LOVE it and use it every day, but I can't speak for the convenience of the lesson planner. I don't think I would buy it.

6. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 27, 2013

I ordered a life planner after reading the discussions about the Erin Condren planners. It should be here any day now!

7. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Jun 27, 2013

I guess I am just cheap! It never occurred to me to use anything besides the ones the school provides.

8. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 27, 2013

I bought one of those last year as a gift to myself for landing a job in my dream district. It turned out to be a huge waste of money for me. I found the squares to be so small and I abandoned it by October in favor of a plain, newsprint, district-issue instead :rolleyes:

9. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 27, 2013

I ordered my second one for this upcoming year! It makes me smile :)
    I also have her Life Planner. I just got that as a trial. Last year, I typed detailed plans and wrote the basics in the planner. I'm going to see if a Life Planner would work for me instead of a lesson planner since I don't put detailed plans in it.

10. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jun 27, 2013

Our district doesn't provide them anymore. We are on our own as to the type of planner we use...digital or paper. I have tried both and really like an actual planbook. Having physical paper is a comfort to me. I know I could print out any digital plans but we have a copy count.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  11. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 8, 2013

My lesson plan book shipped today so I should have it sometime this week! I'm so excited!

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2013

I love mine--it is a perfect size for high school. I teach 3 subjects so I am able to use 2 boxes per subject.

13. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

I use Evernote for my plans. This way I have access from anywhere there is Internet access.

Also, I just get the link to my plans and place them on my school website, so the families know what's going on. Also is nice when I have student absences... as they know what they've missed.

I include scans of any handouts, etc...so the kids can print them out from home. When they return from being absent, they also turn in any missed work. Pretty cool! :)

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

Mine shipped a month ago and I still don't have it :tired:
    It took forever and didn't get to my house before I had the mail forwarded to my parents' house. So it was undeliverable and is on its way (slowly) back to California. I guess I will have to call them. :(

15. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

Is that free?

16. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

Evernote is free. See evernote.com :)

17. TamiJ

TamiJ Virtuoso

Jul 9, 2013

Checking it out now! Thanks. :)

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2013

I need to check out Evernote. One of my goals is to become far more paperless than I am right now.

19. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 9, 2013

Yes, as Bison pointed out - Evernote is, indeed, free. :)

One can pay for Premium which allows one to share notebooks (that can be edited, etc.), but it's not necessary.

MrsC, I've made it my new year's resolution to go paperless this year. With a handy scanner, it's been easy so far. :) I figure in seven years, I'll be entirely paperless (I keep the last seven years' worth of documents, etc.)

Back to Evernote - I even teach my students how to use it for note-taking, etc. It's really pretty useful.

20. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

I have tried planbook.edu but did not like so much. It was easy to use but if I wanted to print my plans I needed to pay for an upgraded version. I love my paper plan book. I just ordered 2 from elan publishing. Total cost including shipping was under $20. I am set for a couple years now.

21. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2013

Mine took a long time to get here and when I emailed to ask about it, they said they would reprint and ship expedited. Then I got my order the next day! I ordered several things-a life planner, notebook, and deskpad. Unfortunately it had several problems-the planner was the wrong color cover and the notebook I ordered had too many blank pages. I asked for store credit because I already started using the planner. They're giving me a small store credit and still reprinting the order. I would rather have a larger store credit. I don't really want another order sent again because it's going to get wasted! I can't use it next year since it's dated and I can't give it to anyone else since it's personalized.

22. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 9, 2013

giraffe: Oh no! I'm sorry to hear you've had this problem. I hope it gets fixed quickly!

FarFromHome: For the price of their items, I would think they would be a lot more careful with what they mail out to customers, especially when the website has so many steps that the product goes through once you place your order to when it finally gets shipped. So frustrating!

23. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 9, 2013

Yes, I've been reading about several problems online and on their Facebook page. The good thing is that they're very willing to correct the problems and send you new items. But it just feels like such a waste to me to have extras that can't be used!

24. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

Now I'm getting nervous about my lesson plan book. I hope it arrives the way I ordered it.

25. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jul 10, 2013

I can understanding paying a good bit for a functional and cute planner...but the SIXTY DOLLAR clipboards just annoy me!

26. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 10, 2013

Oh no, I'm sorry to hear about all the issues! I ordered last year and everything went smoothly. I haven't yet for next year, still going to look around at more affordable options before I take the plunge. I haven't found anything I like as much.

JustMe, I agree. I LOVE my planner, but I can't see myself ordering most of the other stuff on their website. Some is just over the top. I use my planner every single day, so I was willing to splurge on that. I may be crazy but I think some of the prices may have gone up too. I could have sworn the gift labels were more affordable. I may be imagining though. Maybe if I strike gold, I'll buy some more stuff. :)

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 10, 2013

I ordered my lesson planner several weeks ago, got it in about ten days and everything was just as ordered. There was even a $10. coupon to use on another product! I know it's a bit pricey, but for something I will use every single day, it was like a present to myself.

28. nyteacher29

nyteacher29 Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

I have become an Erin Condren addict and have gotten several teachers hooked too. Yes it is pricey but soooo worth it. It's beautiful and actually makes me happy to open it up and start planning!

It took about a month and everything was correct along with a bunch of coupons! I hope you enjoy yours as much as I enjoy mine!

29. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Jul 10, 2013

I briefly coveted the Erin Condren planners, but had to accept that they wouldn't meet all of my needs. Many of the pages would never be used, and I'd still need a teacher binder anyway (for schedules, standards, etc).

So... I searched online and found this: http://www.thelearningeffect.com/2013/05/my-2013-2014-chevron-teacher-planner.html

I purchased the same Discbound Notebook that the teacher used, and I purchased her TPT teacher planner. I love love love that it has the portability of a spiral notebook, but the flexibility of a binder (you can add, remove, and move pages).

Now... it's also not cheap. And the biggest expense is the special hole puncher that you need for the system ($40). However, since everything can be reused year after year, it was worth it for me.

So excited to try it out this school year!

Here's how a blogger used the notebook as a life planner: http://iheartorganizing.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-2013-daily-planner.html

30. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2013

Well, I received my reprinted order today. It has even bigger problems than the first one! They still sent me the wrong life planner again, and the notebook is completely missing from the order. I've been communicating through email, but I think I'll call them tomorrow about all of these problems.

I do really like the planner, but I'm not sure that I would want to order again after all of these problems.

31. Ted

Ted Habitué

Jul 10, 2013

I have to say for $60, I would expect better customer service.

32. bison

bison Habitué

Jul 10, 2013

I'm really surprised to hear about all the issues! Wonder what changed this year, because I've only had good experiences with them. :(

33. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 10, 2013

34. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 10, 2013

I'm thinking they might have become a lot more popular lately and not really have enough staff to deal with a higher volume of orders.

35. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2013

I called today and they offered me $50 store credit because of the problems with my order. So I will probably save that for if I want another planner next year. I really do like the planner, but wish there hadn't been so many mistakes.

36. OhThePlaces

OhThePlaces Cohort

Jul 11, 2013

Thanks for posting this! I just added it to my wish list. I wonder if I could get away with using a 3 ring binder? I really don't want to spend $40 onth special hole punch. :rolleyes:

37. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jul 11, 2013

Mine finally came today! It took over a month to get to me! I'm happy!

38. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 11, 2013

So, my lesson plan book was shipped on Monday (yay!), but every time I try to track the shipment, I get a message that says there is no information on this number. Did the rest of you have that problem once your order shipped? With some of the problems others have had, now I'm worried that my lesson plan book could end up who knows where.

39. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2013

That happened with my reprinted order. They shipped it expedited air and I never was able to see the tracking. It only took 2 days to get to me though. My first order was regular shipping and it took 9 business days. But I live in Hawaii, so yours should be faster. Hopefully it's still on the way.

If there is a problem, it only took me a week (and this was including a holiday off for 4th of July) to get a reprinted order. So if it doesn't show up by 8 business days after shipping, then contact them.

40. quixotic

quixotic Rookie

Jul 11, 2013

It would definitely work with a 3-ring binder. :) I've used a binder for my planner the past few years, and it worked out great.

41. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Jul 11, 2013

Since it ships from California, I figured it wouldn't take too long to receive it since I'm in Arizona. I guess I'll just have to be a bit more patient.