lesson plan book and grade book

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by crf_tuestacr, Aug 10, 2008.

1. crf_tuestacr

crf_tuestacr Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

what lesson plan book and grade book do you use?
    where did you buy it from? What do you guys recommend for new teachers?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Aug 10, 2008

I use a form they gave us and i can send it if you need me to. I also use the IGPRO for grades to be sent to the county office. Plus we use a grade book for the hard copy. The school gave us our gradebooks and as far as a lesson plan book some schools give them some dont. We save the form make one each week and place them in a resource binder. When they come in the room they write a short note when they check and see if i am on track.

4. Ms.C teaches

Ms.C teaches Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

Hi ~

I'm a new teacher this year and I've looked all over for one that I like. I couldn't find one, so I just made one in excel. I'm just going to start a 3-ring binder of lesson plans. Hopefully this will work for me.

5. ITeach4Him

ITeach4Him Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

My lesson plan book is from Lakeshore Learning. I love it because it has lines to write on, not just a blank space. I has lots of extras in it to such as a calender for the year, student information, etc.

My grade book is just one that the district gives us.

6. Mr D

Mr D Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

Last year, I used the lesson plan book that the school gave me. The school I was at before had us create our own lesson plan forms, so I kept my lesson plans in a binder. I actually like the plan book better and will be using that again this year.

I also plan on keeping a paper grade book for the first time this year. Since we keep our grades online, I have always just recorded grades on class checklists and entered them into the computer from that, but I decided the grade book would help me keep everything together and would be easier in case I need to look back at something.

7. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2008

I agree - a paper grade book is a good thing to have in addition to the computer. It's easier to check a student's grade there rather than having to open up a grading program - we use Zangle and you can't keep it open all the time because it's web-based and it kicks you off after 15 minutes. I just print out student rosters, write the name of the assignment at the top of a column, and enter grades on that.

8. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

My lesson plan book is just a plain book with the days down the sides and I fill in the subjects at the top. I also have a table that I fill in with the lesson plans on the computer. I use the paper book as sort of a planning outline when I plan with my team to jot down the activity and the computer plan is when thins are neater and more refined. I don't keep a grade book for kindergartners, but I totally agree with having a paper copy or at least printing grades from the computer every time you input grades.

9. msmath

msmath Rookie

Aug 10, 2008

For grading I recommend Engrade.com It's free, parents and students can access it, it can weight grades and you make the scale, it's fast, efficient, and great!!! It helped me a lot last year.

My lesson plans I just write or use Word and keep them in a binder.

10. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I also love Engrade. I used it last year and its great to be able to print outan individual student report for a parent meeting or a missing assignment report.

11. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 10, 2008

I am plannng on using Engrade this year too! But I will be using it to keep track of my students' IEP objectives.

12. MissHunny

MissHunny Comrade

Aug 10, 2008

my plan book is by mailbox, light bloue cover, for elementary teachers, i beleive. For a gradebook, I use a small binder with blank grid sheets I made on Excel with the students names. I like to have a sheet for each subject area, and each quarter I print new sheets, and put the old ones inthe back of the binder.

13. beccmo

beccmo Comrade

Aug 11, 2008

My grades are computerized, but I print out blank forms to record grades with. It has plenty of space to record little comments and make corrections without looking sloppy, since I record in pen.
    I tried using the printed out attendance forms for attendance, but didn't like it too much. Maybe because our district will not pay for our printer ink, even if the printer was provided by them and is in our classroom (I took mine out-MORE DESK SPACE). I am going to use a bound grade book for that.
    Lesson plans last year were written and recorded on my flash drive. I am considering using a regular plan book this year. I think it might be quicker to refer too, plus if it's in a book instead of a print-out, I might not lose it in a stack on my desk.

14. Iheartshoes

Iheartshoes New Member

Aug 14, 2008

I used to use a seperate book for my lesson plans, student info, and grade book...took forever to look things up! While I was at Barnes & Noble to look for a new lesson plan book, I stumbled across a lesson plan/grade book in one. It is awesome!! On the outside it looks like the old fashioned composition books but on the inside it contains student info pages, parent contact forms, a grade book, a calendar, and a lesson plan book. It cost around 12 dollars. Now I have everything together and only have to carry one book instead of a bunch of different books. Go get it, its fantastic!!

15. DHE

DHE Connoisseur

Aug 17, 2008

Lesson plans are kept in a LP book given by P. Even though my plans are done in Word, I attach a copy of the printed plans in the book. I leave my LP book on my desk because if any visitors from CO or P come in, they can see it. What I do for myself is print another copy to keep on my podium for me to refer to during the week. I hate going on my desk to look at plans, so I keep them nearby.

16. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 18, 2008

We have to turn in our plans so I type mine - which also has the advantage of making them easily reusable. For grades I use gradekeeper, which you can get for a one-time fee of $20. Then you can use it on as many computers as you want, upgrades are free, etc. You can email progress reports to parents and you can print an individual student's grades for conferences. I love it and I would not go back to paper.

17. LMath85

LMath85 Companion

Aug 18, 2008

For my grade book I use the one the school supplies me with. Its my hard copy. But I like doing my grades in Excel that way they are easier to calculate at the end of each marking period.

For my lesson plans..I use a piece of computer paper! I then put it in a plastic sheet protector and place it in a binder. Some people in my school use notebooks or loose leaf paper.

I saw a really nice all in one grade book + lesson plan at barnes & noble in the teaching section.