Lesson on money...HELP!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by 2ndGTeach, Jan 19, 2006.

1. 2ndGTeach

2ndGTeach Rookie

Jan 19, 2006

:eek: Hi! I am getting evaluated in a couple of weeks and I am so worried that my lesson won't be perfect!! I have been searching and searching for a well-rounded lesson plan involving money. I teach
    2nd grade and I was seeing if anyone had a good lesson on teaching money....any imput will help me so much! Thank you so much!

3. kburen

kburen Cohort

Jan 19, 2006

Not sure about 2nd grade.....I know when I tought money with 1st grade the touch points on nickles, dimes, and quaters was a BIG help. Each point was worth 5 cents so that they only had to count by 5's. Dimes of course had 2 and quarters 5. All they have to remember is how many points each one has.

4. Miss Starr

Miss Starr Companion

Jan 19, 2006

There is a great book by Ray Cruz- Alexander, who used to be rich last sunday. Same author of Alexander and the terrible, horrible, no good, very bad, day. I use this book over the course of a week or so to do a variety of money activities. First I read book and model the different amounts of money that alexander loses. We do this a couple times again with the kids playing with all the different coins. It concludes with the kids making their own book modeled after Alexander. They pick how they would spend/lose their money over the course of a week. They alway turn out very cute.

5. DaisyGirl

DaisyGirl Rookie

Jan 21, 2006

I play money bingo with my 2nd grade. I bought this game at a teacher store where I live. This could be something you do at the end of class if you have extra time.

6. 2ndGTeach

2ndGTeach Rookie

Jan 23, 2006

Thanks for the ideas!

7. pamms

pamms Comrade

Jan 23, 2006

Another thing I like to do with money for 2nd grade is to have them do coin rubbings. One skill that is important in 2nd is to be able to recognize the different coins. I get a jar of coins and have tables share and do coin rubbings that they label. Then sometimes I have them do rubbings of a group of coins (limit the number that they can do) and then have them see if a buddy can count how much money it is.

Pam