Lesson on "community"

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by looking in ct, Sep 18, 2007.

1. looking in ct

looking in ct Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Any lesson ideas related to communities?

Communities in our town, school, etc...

I thought about brainstorming a definition etc...

But I need something more fun.

:(

3. StickyNotes

StickyNotes Companion

Sep 18, 2007

How about talking about what a community is (a place where people live, work, and play). You might give examples of this in your own community or as a school community. Then give student groups a piece of big white paper and tell them they need to create their own community. Assign one student to be in charge of making places to live, a student for places to work, and a student for places to play. Have the groups name their communities and present them to the class.

4. TMH2004

TMH2004 Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

I just did a lesson on communities. We talked about the different kinds of communities and good citizens in the communities. Then we made 3 flap books, one for each type of community. They wrote the definition under the flap and drew a picture of the community on top of the flap.

5. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Sep 18, 2007

First of all, we discuss our classroom community! I think the kids can relate to this the most & it helps with building relationships early in the year, getting along, working together etc. Then I plan to discuss our neighborhoods, people in our community, types of communities(rural, suburban, urban). But the best fun we had last year that I plan to do this year is do a "community quilt". Discuss important places in our community (doctor's office, barber shop, grocery store, restaurant, police station etc.) Then give each child a square shaped piece of poster board, construction paper or fabric and have them decorate it. Then they are to write on paper an important place in their community & why it is important. Then they put their writing on their quilt piece and we all sew or yarn the pieces together to make a quilt. Then we talk about how all these people/places help make our communities safe, fun etc. We hung the quilt outside our classroom. My kids had alot of fun doing them.:)

6. 2ndgradebluejay

2ndgradebluejay Rookie

Sep 18, 2007

Ugg.. I just tested on communities and holy cow. I teach in a VERY rural area so they have no clue what a suburb is. There isn't even a gas station in the town. We are 25 minutes away from the town and over an hour to a city. It was very hard for them to relate to those.
    I love the flap book idea! I will have to store it away for next year. :)

7. Youngteacher226

Sep 18, 2007

My kids live in a very urban area and have never seen a rural community in their lives!!! (trust me). But they understood why that type of community is much different than ours. I showed them pictures in books, textbooks etc. until they got a mental picture of what they would see in a rural or suburban area. And I think it is so important that kids learn about other communities besides the ones they live in. Even if it seems like my kids are not making that connection, I'll keep reteaching it, doing some fun activities or whatever I need to do to get something clicking. Once I mentioned that Wilbur and the little girl(I can't think of her name right now) from Charlotte's Web lived in a rural area, they got it! Just show them the movie & there you go. Also, if your kids are not understanding what a suburb or an urban area is like, read them some picture books by Ezra Jack Keats. He writes lots of books about inner city kids and their neighborhoods.

8. mom&teacher

mom&teacher Companion

Sep 20, 2007

Last year I wrote a 12 week unit on communities (in our district communities is the 2nd grade focus). I'm at home, but I'll check when I get to school to see if I still have the week outlines on the computer.

9. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2007

We built a community out of boxes then taped roads.
    The rural part was far away.
    The subarb close. Etc.

10. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Sep 28, 2007

I would love that unit, mom&teacher! Our curriculum is on Communities, too, and it's a bit dry. I feel I am doing well so far, but I want lots of hands-on lessons. :)

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

I love the quilt idea. Think I'll steal it!

The little girl was named Fern. We just finished reading Charlotte's Web.

12. Youngteacher226

Sep 28, 2007

Lol!!:lol:Thanks Upsadaisy. Charlotte's Web is one of my all time favorite stories and I couldn't believe that I drew a blank!

13. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 28, 2007

I love it, too. I haven't seen the movie, though. Don't really want to ruin the images from the book.