Lesson Idea

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissH225, Jun 3, 2009.

1. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

I got a 2nd interview after my phone interview wahoo.....

So I'm sure this has been posted a million times before but here I go anyway, I appreciate any help

I have to teach a lesson to 3 of the top ppl at the school and I will present it as I would if I was teaching it to students. I can choose what grade level and topic.It also says it can't be more then 30 minutes but should be a complete lesson.

I have so many ideas for topics but I don't know. Any suggestions for topics and/or a lesson? I was thinking on doing 2nd grade level but I'd be up to do really any grade K-4.

3. Alisha

Alisha Cohort

Jun 3, 2009

Are you interviewing for a second grade job, because then definitely pick 2nd grade. I think it'd be best to go with any lesson that focuses on literacy in that grade level.

Good luck I hope all goes well!

4. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Jun 3, 2009

I would pick something literacy related, too. Look at the standards for whatever grade you're picking, choose one that looks like you can do a great lesson with and construct a complete lesson around that standard. Good luck!

5. roseteacher12

roseteacher12 Habitué

Jun 3, 2009

i think this is such a stupid idea. i understand the idea od demo lessons with actual kids but im sorry i just wouldnt be giving the same lesson to 3 adults the way i would if there were actual students in the room! I hope i never have to do this...:(

please le us know how it goes!

6. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

Exactly...I'm very nervous about giving a lesson to three adults. I mean obviously with a group of kids would be fine and would take 30 minutes b/c there would be like 20 kids to respond/misbehave/whatever. They have 6 openings(its a new charter school opening this fall) and they asked me what grade I was interested in and I said 2nd (they didn't say if they had an opening there tho). I student taught in 2nd so that's why I thought of it.

So you guys think it should be literacy based? Like maybe some reading and writing or language concept? I was thinking Math b/c I really love math but if literacy would be good I will do that.

7. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

Definitely literacy - they need to see your ability to teach a literacy lesson well.

When is your demo lesson?

8. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

It's Friday at 6pm. Since I have time I wanted to make it a good one. Here's another question they use the whole CORE KNOWLEDGE program (which I'm studying now for Friday). Should I use one of these lessons? Or just create me own?

9. MissH225

MissH225 Comrade

Jun 3, 2009

Also has anyone taught a lesson to a group of an adults rather then kiddos for a demo lesson?

10. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jun 3, 2009

I've taught several demo lessons. During one, the administrators pretended to be students who misbehaved and were off task. I am not an actress and did not impress with my abilities. For the interview where I was successful, they were very laid back and they tried to answer questions and participate. They didn't leave me hanging out there looking dumb. Just be prepared for anything and good luck!