Lesson idea for interview?

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by disneyjen0504, Jul 23, 2007.

1. disneyjen0504

disneyjen0504 Rookie

Jul 23, 2007

I have a demo lesson to teach kindergarteners (they are in a summer enrichment program right now)The only guidelines I was given were that it should be about 30 minutes. The subject matter is up to me.
    I know I would like to begin by reading to them on the carpet, maybe do some group work. But I am so nervous that I don't even know where to begin in planning this!
    Any suggestions?
    Thank you in advance!

3. mrs.teacher5

mrs.teacher5 Companion

Jul 23, 2007

I think that you are on the right track. Read a story to them. Eric Carle books are always big hits. You might consider reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar. Do an interactive writing activity where as a group you put in order some of the things that the caterpillar ate. The students can then go back and write a sentence about something that the caterpillar ate and depict it. This could be made into a book. If they are in an enrichment program they should have no trouble doing this. Writing is very big in K. It would be a good idea to include it in your lesson.

4. Miss_J

Miss_J Habitué

Jul 23, 2007

Reading is always a hit.
    For one of my formal observations this year I read a short book about the life cycle of a butterfly and gave each child a premade book (white construction paper cut into fourths stapled 5 sheets together) and with the students we reviewed the stages of the life cycle (supporting details and sequencing). The students drew and labeled each stage. We then went back to the cover and thought of a title for the book (main idea.)
    My observation came back flawless!
    I made sure that I had serval other bug books (our reading theme was bugs) for the fast finishers to "read."
    My principal liked the fact that I had an activity that matched the theme ready to go.
    The lesson did run a bit longer than 30 mins (about 40 minutes), but you could shorten it by having the stages pre-drawn and then copying them and having the kiddos cut and paste them onto the pages in order.
    Just an idea.

5. TeacherC

TeacherC Connoisseur

Jul 24, 2007

Reading is a good idea...and one things that is good for predicting is to have a "story bag"...a bag that has props from the story and you take out of the bag one at a time, and have the kids guess what the story is going to be about- they love that!
    Good luck!