Lesson Curriculum

Discussion in 'Third Grade' started by corney, Jan 22, 2010.

1. corney

corney Companion

Jan 22, 2010

I have a question about lesson curriculum. Teaching is so different these days I'm finding I need to catch up in order to understand the logics of it.. Language Arts is now broken down in to three groups, Reading, Writing, and then Language Arts. So tell me wouldn't language arts be the most important class to start the day with. Teaching the children how to sound out words, using vowels, consonants, blends etc, at the same time learning verbs and adjectives, punctuation, spelling words and vocabulary words etc. then move in to writing of these words, forming sentences, paragraphs etc. These two classes should be prep for reading. Reading is then comprehension, learning how to apply your language arts skills to answer questions from the passages that have been read either with the whole class or silent reading. To me that would make logical sense. I spent over an hour this morning observing my daughters class. They started the day out with reading.. the class was broken down in to two groups. In both groups what took place was first they reviewed the questions to be answered after the passage was read, second they read with the teacher out loud the passage, 3rd they went back and answered the questions, one group did it all out loud and got rewarded with candy with the correct answer. The other group was left to answer the questions on their own.. Once they finished each group they were then handed a worksheet with a 5 or 6 line reading passage and 5 questions to answer about the passage. Please tell me that is not how reading is taught these days and that my understanding of language arts is still all about reading. Oh and language arts is the last class of the day.. I don't even know when writing is..

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jan 22, 2010

I can only speak to the situation in my school. Our reading schedules are developed by the administration to work around specials and lunches. So some classes will begin reading immediately, some don't begin until about 10:00. We are required to teach certain standards (from the state standards) during the 90 minute reading block and we are not allowed to teach some of the standards (usually related to writing and language arts) during that same reading block. We are required to do a certain amount(we are given the time schedule) of whole group work, small group work, seat work, and center work during that reading block. We can't teach content from science, social studies, language arts, or writing during the reading block. We can use a guided reader from a different subject as long as we are only using approved reading strategies with it (comprehension, context clues, sequencing, etc). We are written up if we teach vocabulary not directly related to the current reading story. There are other rules, but you get my point. These regulations are in place to raise the scores on state standardized tests.

4. corney

corney Companion

Jan 25, 2010

Unbelievable!!!! So it's more important to be sure the state test scores are high vs. the children getting a quality education. I'm not saying teachers aren't doing their best to educate, it seems the administrators are losing site of why children are in school, it's not to make the test scores look good it's to LEARN.. Writing a teacher up for teaching doesn't make a bit if sense to me..