Less than 1/3 of NY students are proficient on Common Core state exams

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LMichele, Aug 15, 2014.

1. LMichele

LMichele Cohort

Aug 15, 2014

And the state is saying that the (very) minimal growth compared to last year's tests are encouraging.

As a NY teacher, this is so discouraging to me. My students work SO hard all year, and then the state tests come and shoot down all of their confidence. I had students get physically sick as I handed out the test, students who needed to spend the period with the psychologist and social worker, and students who just gave up and cried.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/nyregion/test-scores-in-new-york-state-inch-up-results-show.html?_r=0

3. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 15, 2014

I can't believe that there are people who still think putting this type of pressure on children is a good idea.

4. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 15, 2014

Exactly. Sad some people don't know how to create the right environment.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 15, 2014

:confused:

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 15, 2014

Confused by what? It is sad that adults surrounding these kids do not know how to set a positive environment.

Kids do not get physically sick from tests and need to see social workers unless the adults involved in the process are setting a horrible environment.

7. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 15, 2014

Easier said than done. I worked one on one with a student who failed these tests twice last year in 3rd grade during regular school and summer school. She was held back and this year had such severe test anxiety. She flipped out during test prep several times and the ELA exam she flipped out and had a full on tantrum. She would cry and cry all the time in the weeks leading up to the test worrying that she would be left back again.

I worked with her exclusively in calming her down and supporting her and encouraging her that she can do her best. But some days no matter what I said she wasn't hearing it.

Kids do get sick from these tests. I've seen it. It's horrible to be stressed at such a young age. You also have to understand it might not be pressure from the teachers or school, sometimes the parents are the problem. Yes, I've had students tell me in elementary school they get punished for not getting the highest scores. :2cents:

8. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2014

I also find it odd when I hear teachers say that their kids get sick or need therapists to take a standardized test, especially at the ELEM level. I can understand some nerves or students not wanting to take the test because they don't care. But this is not the SATs, GRE, LSAT, etc. If a child feels this much pressure then it probably comes from the teacher/school, IMO.

9. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Aug 15, 2014

As a teacher I feel I set the climate and environment in my room. I know that overwhelmingly my students are as stress free for the standardized test as for any test. I set the testing expectations and environment in my classroom, same with the non testing climate.

I agree with you go blue.

10. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Aug 15, 2014

Or their parents. I know quite a few students who are under pressure by their parents who think that these tests will impact their ability to get into a good college, whether that's based in reality or not.

11. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 15, 2014

If any teachers put pressure on their students, it's probably the whole being fired/being outed in nationally released newspaper/getting a negative evaluation thing that the "reform" movement thinks is a good idea... but from my experience, most of the stress either comes from home or administration. Unless you're in a state that requires mandated retention or intensive academic remediation, in which case it comes from the state.

12. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 15, 2014

This has been my experience. It doesn't make the stress any less for the child. As much as we can try to create a stress free environment in the classroom, those outside influences have a tremendous impact on young children.

13. Rockguykev

Rockguykev Connoisseur

Aug 15, 2014

I'd be pretty happy with 1/3rd of kids being proficient on lifelong standards they've only been taught for a year.

Going to take some major deprogramming of the bubble syndrome before common core is really measurable. That will take years no matter what type of teaching is happening.

14. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Aug 15, 2014

I don't know how "bubble syndrome" will be solved by using bubble tests...

15. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 18, 2014

Is NY still using the Regents testing too? I went to college in Long Island for education and they DRILLED us pre-service teachers into basing all of our lessons on the Regents- they even recommended that we use questions during our lessons from old tests.

I'm not sure how CC fits with the Regents, but it might explain why students are not doing so well.

Also, my school is planning to give a test to 3rd graders this year since normally we give the test at the beginning of 4th grade and students bomb it (1) it's too early in the year, 2) they've never taken a test like this) so we assume the best thing to do is give the test starting in 3rd grade as "practice". And yeah, I can't even really teach on the days those tests are given because of how tired and stressed out my students are :(