less money for education and teaching abstinence-only for health

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Tyler B., Aug 29, 2012.

1. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2012

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

That plan sucks. I don't think I've ever seen an education plan I was excited about, but that one is awful

4. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

Unreal. Ignorance is such a blissful experience until the baby is crying for something.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

I think that there is a lot of badly and wastefully used money in many school systems.

Examples:

12 year old science books, yet new math books every 2-4 years.

Struggling middle class district with tons of budget cuts and pay freezes has a copy room at the school board office with 5 new full featured color copiers. These were NOT the result of some weird grant and are NOT for instructional use. Those cost a fortune to operate. Also, this is probably some absurd ratio like one copier per 10 employees. And teachers must ration b&w copies like miserly hoarders.

Doesn't everybody have these examples? We probably wouldn't need more money with intelligent, streamlined use of resources. Do school buildings need a/c on full blast to get inefficient buildings to a frigid 72 in July?

6. Tyler B.

Tyler B. Groupie

Aug 29, 2012

Those are good examples of waste in the system. You are completely correct in calling it out.

However in the Clinton years we had a poverty rate of 12.6%. During the Bush years it peaked at 21% and has shown gradual improvement over the last 2 years. Our poor kids have special needs. We are trying to educate a much poorer population than we had 10 years ago. Poor kids cost more money to educate.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

Sure. And maybe that's a better use of money than color copiers that cost a fortune to run. I bet that cost would pay for a full time aid for a teacher.

The insane markup we pay on office supplies in my district multiplied across dozens of schools would pay for many extra resource and intervention teachers.

It's just gets me that nobody ever seems to look at this stuff before laying off the parttime art teacher.

8. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 29, 2012

At my school, we have free breakfast in the classroom every morning. Fine- the problem is, they will NOT let us return unused food, milk, juice, or napkins/silverware to the cafeteria. Many of my kids eat at home anyway and don't want anything. Sometimes they give us both apple juice and milk and kids only want one. Sometimes I have to throw away 15+ unopened cartons of milk daily- and that's just for my one classroom. We were sending it right back down there at the beginning of the year, of course assuming they'd hand it out again, until we got a nasty e-mail about how long it was taking them to empty the coolers and how we need to throw unopened food/drinks away. It completely irks me to think about how much money they're just throwing away in an era of nothing but budget cuts!:dizzy:

9. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2012

This is just too crazy.
    What a waste of food!
    They say that those who waste shall want.
    Rebel1

10. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Aug 30, 2012

UG. I hate food waste. I could totally see myself sneaking 15 little milks home in a cooler every day. lol.

11. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Aug 30, 2012

I could see having a cooler to have the stuff later for a snack. Bet they would like it when they get hungry or thirsty later on.

12. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2012

Yes, silver, that would be me too!

13. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Aug 30, 2012

I was saving them and passing them out later, but then I feel guilty because I don't have near enough for everyone who wants one. I also tried the "looking for people who were being good" thing where only they got extra things, but in all honesty the majority of my class is fairly well behaved and it still doesn't end up being fair. I always HATED when teachers did that as a student because they never get to everyone who is "being good."

14. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 30, 2012

If these are cartons, how about picking up a package of 3oz Dixie cups and doling the contents out into those?