Lent

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by dogs&teaching, Mar 9, 2011.

1. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

So today is the beginning of Lent. I have decided I am giving up eating out for Lent. Lately, I have been eating out a lot since I moved into the country. I also have made a Lent jar. Every day I am going to put a dollar into it. Also, put money into whenever I consider eating out or wishing/wanting to eat out. When Easter comes, I plan to use the money to make food baskets for a couple families that I know could use it. And one last thing, I'm going to pray the rosary every day of Lent.

How about you other Catholics? What are you giving up for Lent?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

I'm giving up unhealthy fast food for Lent. I'm allowing myself stuff like Subway and Jersey Mike's, but nothing like McDonald's or Wendy's or anything like that.

I like your idea of a Lent jar. I think I will do that as well.

4. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2011

Driving in good weather.

5. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Mar 9, 2011

I have a few relationships that have become strained during the last couple of years. Rather than give something up, it would be more effective (and harder) for me to work on cobbling some civility out of one of these relationships during Lent. This person is not someone in my life everyday, so I will need to take a moment, initiate contact and then say/email this person each day during Lent. Perhaps when the season is over, I will be celebrating a healed relationship as well as Easter!

In addition as the cook of the family remembering to leave all the meat out of the meals (ie, no chicken broth, or bacon, or other little things) is hard.

6. MissKatie

MissKatie Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

I'm a Protestant, but I figured who says we can't join in?:) Lent it a great idea and I respect Catholics for this tradition.

I'm (attempting) to give up desserts. So far, I've forgone a slice of decadent triple chocolate cake and carrot cake (the second being not nearly as difficult).

Hot-cross buns are still okay, right? As an avid baker, I plan to master them over the next forty days!

I like your idea of a Lent jar. Unfortunately, if I kept one I'd soon be penniless!:p

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 9, 2011

While I realize the tradition of giving up something for lent is a form of self-sacrifice that's supposed to help us reflect on our relationship with Jesus, I feel that simply giving something up isn't enough. For me, it seems shallow, though I can see that for others it might not be so.

Anyway, I prefer, like another poster said, to use the season of lent to become introspective about my faults, and to do something about them. My goal is to celebrate Easter as a better person than I was on Fat Tuesday.

8. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

Haha, I'm worried about being broke over it too. I figured that I have a very large jar of change/$1 bills, so whenever need to put money it for my wishing/wanting, I would take something out of there. Probably the change before more bills. :lol:

9. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 9, 2011

I'm also Protestant, but have been rolling ideas around in my head for what I want to do for Lent. I'm not sure if I want to give something up or focus on doing something better. I guess I should decide pretty soon, though, huh?

10. MissKatie

MissKatie Rookie

Mar 9, 2011

This is my first year giving anything up for Lent. Before that, I've always tried "starting something new," like being kinder, praying more, giving more of my time to God, etc. However, I usually forget about these promises and the meaning of Lent is soon forgotten.

I'm hoping that by giving up a specific thing (desserts) I will be continually reminded of Jesus' sacrifice for me. Sugar is seriously a huge part of my life and I think about it ALL the time. For the next forty days, whenever I ponder desserts, my thoughts will be redirected towards my Savior. Good trade, eh?:)

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

Sometimes giving up something causes us to do something good, either for ourselves or for others. I know that by giving up junk food and encouraging my hoosband to do the same, we're making ourselves healthier. For us, it's not really about Jesus so much as it is about an opportunity and motivation to make some good changes in our lives. That might be shallow, but that's okay with me. :)

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 9, 2011

This is exactly why I said that I could see how it wouldn't be shallow for some people. It just doesn't work that way for me :).

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 9, 2011

I'm trading in a little of my free time each evening to read more with Kira.

14. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 9, 2011

While I'm not Catholic I still plan to give up honey-dos, chick flicks, asparagus, and Cabelas. My wife is Catholic. I'm not sure about her list ... but hopefully I'm not on it...:p

(Just kidding about Cabelas..)

15. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 9, 2011

I am not Catholic, but I have decided to read a Psalm every day, morning and evening, during the preparation for Easter. I think Lent is a good idea if it comes from the heart (as opposed to being imposed on you by someone).

16. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Mar 9, 2011

I'm Anglican (Episcopalian to all y'all Americans) and we celebrate Lent as well.

I've decided to give up writing home reports for Lent.

17. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Mar 9, 2011

One of my cousins, a university professor, declared on Facebook yesterday that she's giving up grading...

18. monsieurteacher

Mar 9, 2011

Oooooh!!! That one's more daring!

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Mar 9, 2011

Methodists celebrate Lent as well. I am going to work on adding something and spend more time in meditation each day.

20. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2011

Although I don't any longer, as a Methodist (slash Southern Baptist) I observed Lent and always enjoyed the experience. I remember in sixth grade I gave up "coke day" at school (each Friday students could buy a coke in the afternoon...yes, terribly exciting) and gave the money to the church. I felt as though I was making such the sacrifice. :)

Best wishes everyone!

21. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

Whoops, I didn't mean just Catholics.
    :eek:

22. jteachette

jteachette Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

I gave up facebook..except for Sundays...which don't count as Lent.

I did this last year, and boy is it a toughie! However, I spend way too much time on the computer, and need to actually reach out to the people in my life.

23. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 9, 2011

I am giving up fast food. I am not sure how this will work, but I decided that my 8 year old is eating too much junk. So I am doing it for her. (I am Southern Baptist, so this is more of a personal decision for me than a religious one.)

24. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

I gave up fast food last year (except I didn't count actual restaurants, this year I am) because I gained 10lbs, and I thought at the time I would be a happier person to be around if I lost a bit of it. This year, I realized how much money I'm actually spending on all of the eating out. It's about more than my car payment and that's just me. That is why I'm also adding my Lent jar to put money in for food baskets. At Christmas, I received several large monetary gifts from our school, parents, and parish. (I teach at a Catholic school.) I used most of it to make food baskets for some families and delivered them. I didn't say they were from me though since I was a little shy about it, but I felt so amazing afterwards. So, for Lent I'm going to use all the money that I would normally waste on myself to make food baskets for those who could really use the food. Plus, I get to feel great after. :thumb:

25. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 9, 2011

Lil ones asked if they could give up school work... LOL!!!!
    They are giving up speaking unkind to one another... You know how siblings can get....

26. teach'ntx

teach'ntx Comrade

Mar 9, 2011

I use to do the Lent Jar and cussing. I normally do not cuss. However, when I play sports there is a different side of me that comes out. So during lent, each word had a certain value to it. My tally each week was then added to my Sunday donation. One year I was on a company soccer team, basketball team, and a volleyball team. Church did very well for a few weeks until I got myself under control :) It was always a win/win!

27. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 9, 2011

I'm going to give up frivolous and impulse luxury spending. Things like car washes, having my nails done and dry cleaning can usually be done at home if I just stop being so lazy. Even shopping at the expensive grocery store across the street is due to not planning ahead and going to the farmer's market or the cheaper store. Right now I like to just pay someone else to 'fix it'. That is not good stewardship of my talents or money.

28. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Mar 10, 2011

Hey Major...we were at Cabelas this weekend. It was the 50th anniversary of the store, so they had a bunch of store specials and demos. They had a kids' casting contest on the front lawn, so my girls entered...and both won brand new Zebco rods and reels! Two very excited little girls.

I also saw my new grill...a charcoal grill with an electric start...so nice! They were grilling steaks and giving samples...yummmmmm!

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2011

Actually, God prefers you take your car to the car wash because it's better for the environment since they recycle the water. Best if you just drove around in a dirty car.

30. Major

Major Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2011

kcjo, just going to Cabelas makes me a very happy man........

Now if I had two little girls to go with me.... well I'd be in heaven. (Keep them close to you....)..:hugs:

31. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Mar 10, 2011

Or drive a brown car! Then no one knows!

(I swear... my truck is brown... and I absolutely never ever ever wash it. I'm terrible :lol:

32. GoehringTeaches

GoehringTeaches Comrade

Mar 10, 2011

I announced yesterday that I was giving up cleaning the house, so my husband better hire a maid! I asked my husband if he was giving up anything and he didn't know. I told him that since he sacrificed a whole year last year being in Iraq that I don't see he should give something up this year too.

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2011

'Salright, dogs&teaching. You could, um, give up being ashamed of an honest mistake for Lent?

(No? Neither can I. Sigh.)

34. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2011

Ok, some people say that Lent is the 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Easter, minus Sundays, and some people say it is the 40 days from Ash Wednesday to Palm Sunday and the beginning of Holy Week. Which is it? Or does it vary by denomination? It doesn't seem very hard to me to give up something during the week and then have it on Sunday. You are really just giving it up for a week 6 times in a row.

Just wondering. When I was a kid and we did lent, we just did straight to Easter, even though it was more than 40 days.

35. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Mar 10, 2011

Mine is green and I really can't tell you the last time it was washed. It has to have been 5-6 years.

36. monsieurteacher

Mar 10, 2011

Lent does not include Sundays... Sundays are considered to be a day of celebration, and are therefore not included in Lent... however most people do not observe this, and do as you did, following Lent straight to Easter.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  37. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Mar 10, 2011

My daughter and I give up chocolate. It is for us learning a little about making a sacrafice, and she really has learned from it.

My mom always tries to do something nice each day of lent.
    My MIL gives up Wine. we all celebrate with her on Easter :)

38. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Mar 10, 2011

Silver, the first I heard of Sundays not requiring the sacrifice was last year when a Catholic colleague was discussing how exited she was for Sunday to come so she could drink. Growing up, Sundays were absolutely included...no breaks.

39. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2011

In my home, there are no "Breaks."

40. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 10, 2011

My understanding is that the theological basis for Sundays not being part of Lent per se is that each Sunday is a little Easter. Whether that means that self-denial should stop on Sunday is, of course, quite another question.

41. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Mar 10, 2011

Same here.