Length of your interview?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by CDOR79, Aug 30, 2014.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Aug 30, 2014

I was just wondering how long your interviews have taken. I went yesterday and it took 20 minutes (which I thought was so quick!) and it was very basic. They asked me about 10 questions that they ask all applicants. It was very cut and dry and to be honest, I feel like I didn't say everything I should or wanted to say!

The questions were very generic which didn't give me the chance to tell them about a great lesson plan or even why I'd want to work for the district, etc.

I dunno...I just felt like it was kind of rushed an "impersonal" if that makes sense.

Is this usually how the first ones are??

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 30, 2014

It really varies. I've done one and done interviews ranging from 30-60 minutes. With multiple rounds, I have had them range from 10 minutes to 60 depending on the district and which round I was in.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Aug 30, 2014

When I went for the interview for my current job, it was about 20 minutes. I don't remember how many questions they asked, probably around 10, but they were good questions. I though it was quick, I didn't think I did well, but I got the job.

Before then I was on an interview that took 2 hours, felt more like a friendly chat, the P took me around the entire school and introduced me to every teacher, staff member, showed me every classroom... and then had the nerve to never even call me (I drove 9 hours for that interview and had to stay overnight).

You just never know :)

5. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 30, 2014

My range has been 15 minutes to three hours+. Lots of variation!

6. msmac21

msmac21 Companion

Aug 30, 2014

I have had interviews as short as 10 minutes. I get your frustration with that OP because they seem like they just rush through people and don't really listen to what you have to say.

I've tried to combat that by asking personalized questions that gets them to talk a little, and using my portfolio as I'm answering questions so that I can show them a little more about me outside of the basic questioning.

7. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 30, 2014

I've been offered jobs after a 20 min interview and not offered jobs after hours of being taken around the school to meet absolutely everyone in the building. It is almost random.

8. chitown

chitown Companion

Aug 30, 2014

Did they mention if it was a screening interview? I know several schools I interviewed with had screening interviews like that--short, basic questions, pretty impersonal. Sometimes you just can't tell what is going to happen from the interview though (as many have said).

9. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

Aug 30, 2014

This summer I've interviewed in the same district twice. Each time I was told I had 20 minutes. The second time the next candidate was scheduled 30 minutes after me. One of the panel members was obviously the "time keeper" and kept trying to rush it along!

10. Teacher Gii

Teacher Gii Companion

Aug 31, 2014

I think it depends..I've been on shorter ones like 20 minutes..and as long as an hour..The one that was really long (I actually got the job for this one), it was just over an hour, but it was super casual and it was more like a conversation among a couple of friends than an actual interview.

11. MissPapa

MissPapa Comrade

Sep 1, 2014

My interviews lasted from 10-30 minutes. One for my current job was about 30 minutes. Every school has its reasons; either they need to rush or they want to keep asking you questions or take the time to look at your portfolio.

12. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2014

Our interviews are only 10 questions, which are scripted and must be asked the same way to every candidate. We aren't allowed to comment on things, ask for clarification, or ask any additional questions. Apparently it's some HR rule that everyone gets the same interview experience so that no one can claim discrimination. I was on the interview committee this past year and we even only scheduled each interview in 30 minute blocks. I think it seems nuts, but all of the people we hired have been great so far, and my school has an almost non-existent turnover in the first place (the openings we hired for were newly added position or from retirements), so it must work!

13. ready2learn

ready2learn Comrade

Sep 2, 2014

When I was last interviewing for jobs the average interview I had I would guess was about a half hour. For my current job I was in the interview about an hour and 20 minutes.

14. tigger88

tigger88 Rookie

Sep 2, 2014

I only had a 20 minute interview and got the job!! So it can happen. I really hope that it is the case for you, too :)