Length of time giving a lesson

Discussion in 'Montessori Archives' started by MDMontessori, Sep 25, 2003.

1. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 25, 2003

How long do you spend giving a child a new lesson? Do you just start them out and them leave them to do something else? They love me to stay while they do the whole lesson but it takes so much time.
    My room is going along very well and I am so pleased. With it my first official year teaching I am amazed at myself...lol.

Eileen

3. AJK

AJK Pre-k Montessori Teacher

Sep 25, 2003

in an ideal world...

I present the whole lesson. Allow the child to try the whole lesson (like working together), which I stay for. Then I have the child try the lesson alone, and instruct him/her to tell me or one of the paras when he/she is finished so we can check it. Now there are notable excepetions, for example once a child has mastered the concept of 3 part cards, I only review the vocabulary of each new set, the child can set up the lesson on his/her own and of course I don't stay for the entire 100 board either ;)

4. MDMontessori

MDMontessori Companion

Sep 26, 2003

Thanks. That makes alot of sense. Our office manager quit after 3 days of working here. Too much work, too little training and too little pay. Another one bites the dust. I thought this lady would be terrific as she had a great attitude. Our director is very hard to work with. We have lost 8 staff since the beginning of the year. We had some really rough times last year but she is leaving me alone as my class is doing so well. The other primary needs attention so the spotlight is on her...poor girl.
    Eileen