Length of Preparation for English CSET

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by ilikerice, Feb 11, 2005.

1. Jules

Jules Rookie

Jul 3, 2007

Me too!

2. Superwoman12

Superwoman12 New Member

Jul 3, 2007

thank you!

I'm so happy to have found this thread. You have all been incredibly helpful. Just wanted to say thanks!

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 4, 2007

You're welcome.

4. MsF

MsF Rookie

Jul 4, 2007

Buzz words

"THE CSET TEST GUIDES. . NOTICE THE USE OF "BUZZ" WORDS.
    IN SECTION IV."

Please shed some light on "buzz words" Could you give me some examples. this is just not clicking with me:confused:

5. elmer369

elmer369 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

If you get my study guides off of the "Elmer's English resources" thread, I have like 3 different lists of buzz words. There are repeats among the lists, but hey, can't hurt to study over and over! :)

6. MsF

MsF Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Buzz words

Are these the lists? "Glossary of Literary Terms.doc" "Glossary of Drama Terms.doc"

And if so, make sure to pepper an essay with the approriate terms form them??

Sorry to sound like such a "blank page":sorry:

7. elmer369

elmer369 Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

If you look at the description material for subtest IV online, you will see many of the buzz words in parenthesis at each bullet point (like "expository," "listening supportively," "recitation"). My vocab lists address many of these 'buzz words.' Otherwise, I would just make sure you are very familiar with the words mentioned on the description pages online. One example might be "lighting." May seem like a pretty obvious one, but it is important to know and be able to explain how lighting affects theater performance... You may be asked to list and explain, say, the elements of horror genre. Lighting would definitely be in your answer and you will have to succinctly describe the effects that different lighting techniques can attain (underlighting overemphasizes facial features, thereby creating an other-than-human presence in the villain).

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 5, 2007

"Buzz words" are technical terms of the discipline; by using them liberally (and preferably correctly), one gives the impression that one actually knows the field.

9. MsF

MsF Rookie

Jul 5, 2007

Buzz words

Okay I get it. I think I was over thinking and over analyzing the term "buzz word".

Thanks- this helps

10. PhatPatJ

PhatPatJ Rookie

Jul 7, 2007

Hey Elmer 369 if you could PM me the study guides I would really appreciate it. I'm hoping to pass at least one of the tests in September. How many tests should I take during one session?

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 8, 2007

elmer's resources are here, PhatPatJ, on the thread "Elmer's English resources". You'll find it at or near the top of the Single Subject Tests subforum or by scrolling back through this thread till you find the link for them.

12. JEC

JEC New Member

Jul 8, 2007

Hi,
    I would love to see your notes. I have failed English Subtest III, twice now and I must pass it on July 21st! Please help!

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

Um, JEC, please read the post before yours. This thread is full of useful material.

14. JEC

JEC New Member

Jul 9, 2007

Thanks, I have just read through all of the threads and you're right, there is a ton useful material! Thank you. Do you have any concrete advice about Subtest III? My scores were 204 and 206 "K and D" marks.

thanks!!

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 9, 2007

Knowledge and depth... You probably need to use more technical terms, and you may need to analyze the passages a little more deeply.

16. elmer369

elmer369 Rookie

Jul 9, 2007

If I'm not mistaken, my study guides might help with getting the technical jargon embedded into your essay responses, and the following sources helped me prepare for in-depth text analysis in such a short space (well, obviously in addition to going through 4 years of undergrad :) ):
    *** Cliff's Notes for AP English test
    *** CSET practice test online for section III
    *** Cliff's Notes for Multiple Subject CSET

17. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Hello, for some reason I am not able to send you a private message. I know it's been a few years since you wrote this post, but if you should see this, please respond to lisa.card@comcast.net. If your offer of sending the study materials for the CSET English is still good, I would really appreciate it! I'm taking it 7/21/07. Thanks so much. Lisa

18. roberts3206

roberts3206 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Lisa --
    Since the original posting, they've put the links to these resources on a "sticky thread" so everyone can access them.

http://forums.atozteacherstuff.com/showthread.php?t=31052

Elmer's English Resources

Good luck! Where are you taking it? I'm taking Subtest 3 in Sacramento that day.

Diane

19. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Thank you, Diane. I'm taking all four subtests in Sacramento, too. What a small world! It's off of Bradshaw somewhere. Thanks again.

Lisa

20. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 12, 2007

roberts3206, thanks for helping lisacard.

21. roberts3206

roberts3206 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Yeah, it's a sparkling new high school. Be aware ...it's a HUGE campus, and unless you get there really early, you'll probably be parking in the back (east) parking lot by the gym/auditorium. The test is at the other end of campus. I was late, and had worn flip flops for comfort, and had very tired feet from walking all the way across the parking lot and then across campus. So, allow a little extra time.

Have you read all of the hints? Be really aware of time management, and note Teachergroupie's reminders about short answer questions in Test 4 ... don't write essays. I did. And I got an awesome score on Test 4 -- but only had time to do one of the two essays in Test 3 due to running out of time. Needless to say, I couldn't pass that test. In hindsight, I'd rather have gotten a lower passing score, but passed them all.

Good luck!

And Teachergroupie ... my pleasure!

22. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Thank you so much for the advice. I would've written to you privately, but I feel it's important to post here, as this site has been so helpful and meaningful. I only wish I would have found it earlier. I probably won't be ready, but I am preparing and reading as much as possible. I cannot thank everyone enough for the tips. What kind people you all are for taking your time to help. Good luck to everyone!
    Lisa

23. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

Would you mind sending me the Canon notes, too? My email address is lisa.card at comcast dot net

Thanks so much!!

24. roberts3206

roberts3206 Rookie

Jul 12, 2007

You're quite welcome!

25. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Wait: roberts, you've got canon notes?

26. lisacard

lisacard Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

Okay. If anyone out there has Canon notes, please let me know. I'm DESPERATE!!! My test is 7/21/07. Also, the contact info. for the telephone tutor would be great, too. I've heard good things, but I failed to write down the number, and now I can't fnd the thread. Thank you so much!!!

27. roberts3206

roberts3206 Rookie

Jul 13, 2007

I don't even know what canon notes are! I was saying "you're welcome" to her prior post.

So, what are canon notes?

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 13, 2007

Oh, okay.

"Canon notes" would be - well, notes on The Canon, as in The Literature Everyone Ought To Know That's Going To Be Asked About On The Test.

If anyone has something like that and it's legal to share here, please let me know.

29. ohiostatealum

ohiostatealum New Member

Oct 30, 2007

I'm taking the test this Saturday 11/3/07. Those crib notes would be handy, if you can send them my way! Thanks a lot! PS. I'm nervous too. It's been awhile since I've taken my English classes.
    ohiostatealum@hotmail.com

30. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Oct 30, 2007

Welcome to A to Z, ohiostatealum.

Haven't seen the crib notes, but try this: http://www.answers.com/topic/western-canon?cat=technology.

If you took English classes, you're probably in better shape canon-wise than you think. Did you take any survey courses? Have you still got your Norton Anthologies?

You'll find more resources on the "sticky thread" called "Elmer's English Resources", at the top of the Single Subject Tests subforum. To get there, click on the blue Single Subject Tests link at the top of this page, or use the Forum Jump tool at the bottom of this page.

31. PhatPatJ

PhatPatJ Rookie

Oct 30, 2007

It might have just been septembers test, but I didn't feel like a huge history of reading the classics was completely necessary to pass the text. Usually they asked about the characteristics of genres, schools of thought and time periods.

32. FanteFan

FanteFan New Member

Jan 27, 2008

CSET review

Looks like your Canon "cliff notes" have been a big hit. If you're still feeling like sharing, could you include me, too? Many thanks!

33. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 30, 2008

We've not seen MsMCLee for a while that I know of, FanteFan, but you might find some help in the Answers.com link that I posted above in October.

34. rtms08

rtms08 New Member

Mar 17, 2008

I hold a Bachelor of Arts degree in English and am taking the CSET this summer. I graduated six years ago, and am nervous about the test. I did very well on the GREs, but, again, that was six years ago. I would greatly appreciate your forwarding notes for me to study from.

Thanks a lot!

35. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 17, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, rtms08. You'll find some notes posted in the thread "Elmer's English resources".

36. teachin'soon

teachin'soon Rookie

May 6, 2008

Rtms08, I was in the same boat as you are and took all four subtests in March. I passed all of the sections except for section IV, the section I just sort of blew off. How'd you do?

Everyone else, how do you enable sending PM's? I can't figure it out.

Thank you ALL for the resources on here...they're a Godsend. :)

37. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 6, 2008

Welcome to A to Z, teachin'soon. If you make enough posts advance from newcomer status to rookie, you should be able to send private messages here.

38. teachin'soon

teachin'soon Rookie

May 7, 2008

Woo! I'll be sure to flood the system, then!

39. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 7, 2008

In the process, you might just get hooked... but there are plenty of worse addictions.

40. Sirpi5678

Sirpi5678 Rookie

May 13, 2008

Can someone break down the CSET for me? I understand that you should spend about 45 minutes on each essay in Subtest III and that each question in Subtest IV should take about 10-15 each. How long for the multiple choice?

If they just give you all the subtests at once is there a time limit or do you need to finish before then end of the test period for the day? I haven't taken a standardized test since my ACTs 7 years ago so I just wanted to make sure I was understanding everything. I appreciate the help!!