Length of nap

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Taliesin, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

For those in an all day program- How long is your nap time? What ages do you have? Do you ever have parents complain that it is too short or too long?

3. Taliesin

Taliesin Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I have 4's for the summer and our nap time is slightly shorter than in the school year. We lay down at 1:15, listen to a story with the lights out for half an hour, and sleeping time is 1:45-2:45. I've had several parents tell me that their children are having a hard time sleeping at night. I don't understand since nap time is now about 45 minutes shorter than it was 2 weeks ago during the school year. Not sure what to do.

4. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Jul 5, 2008

We are mandated to allow "children who appear to need rest" to rest for at least 30 min.* Since someone in your class will be needing it, we can claim it is for that child.* Then the 30 will need to have tranisition time on either end and volia-a nap period.* Not everyone buys it, but it often works.As for the non nappers we have them lay quietly first, then after the magic time for the code is over then they can have books and what not.* Other providers do it in reverse, but I think that only encourges other to stay awake.* Mostly we all sleep.

5. Edu Katy

Edu Katy Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

We have one hour for nap time. We use cots with a towel for a pillow and a towel to cover up. We play soothing music during this time. Rarely do I have any stay awake. Everyone sleeps. I have some parents that complain that one hour is too long. It is very difficult to wake some of them up for snack time even after one hour.

6. Prekfreak

Prekfreak Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

We have an hour "scheduled" but it is more like an hour and a half when you include story/cover up/last minute things. Out of 20 kids I normally have about 1 that rarely never sleeps. I play a rainstorm cd and they crash!

7. Minnie Mouse

Minnie Mouse Rookie

Jul 5, 2008

I teach 4 year olds in a public school pre-k. Our guidelines mandate that naptime be 20% of our total minutes. So for an average school day of 390 minutes, naptime would be about 78 minutes long. Occasionally we have a parent say their child doesn't need a nap. We assure them that napping is optional but resting quietly on the cot is required. Most kids nap but some really don't need the nap. After about 20 minutes (long enough for the nappers to get to sleep) I'll allow a non-napping child to have a book or other quiet activity on his/her cot.

8. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 6, 2008

We lay down after lunch, which is served at noon, and usually finished by 12:30. In the younger groups, they're ususally asleep from 12:35 (pretty much as soon as they hit their cots) until about 2:30. We give them quiet choices after they wake up until lights on at 3:00.

The older group finishes lunch a little later, and goes potty, reads books, hears a story on tape. The first one usually falls asleep around 1, and a couple don't nap at all. After the ones who do sleep fall asleep, then we let the non-nappers do quiet choices. We are mandated to have 45 minutes of "rest" time. By the time the last sleeper falls asleep, it's usually 1:45, and we've covered that, and the non-nappers can get up (much to our dismay ;) ).

P.S. At this point in the year, my youngest are 11 months; my oldest are 3 years 4 months.

9. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 6, 2008

Usually 1 hr and 15 minutes, but... if Texas law if they lay down for an hour without falling asleep, they must be allowed to get up.

10. vannapk

vannapk Groupie

Jul 6, 2008

I teach full-day public pre-k in TX and we don't have naps, public pre-k doesn't fall under daycare laws in tx. We just went full-day 2 years ago. The first year we had 45 minutes for nap, but this past year naps were outlawed. When we had naps almost all kids slept. We were shocked this year when we didn't have naps and the kids did just fine, nobody seemed to suffer at all, it went well.

11. Edu Katy

Edu Katy Rookie

Jul 7, 2008

Texas Law??

[QUOTE: if Texas law if they lay down for an hour without falling asleep, they must be allowed to get up.[/QUOTE]

I'm in Txas and I haven't heard this?

12. MsWK

MsWK Habitué

Jul 7, 2008

I'm in Txas and I haven't heard this?[/QUOTE]

Check out your licensing regs. There's probably lots of stuff in there that nobody talks about.

I think when I worked in Virginia, it was 1/2 an hour before we had to let them get up to play.

13. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 7, 2008

I teach 3's and 4's... all but 1 are already 4; they were all 3 at the beginning of the school year.

We eat lunch at noon, and kids lay down sometime around 12:30, depending how quickly they eat and potty. Lights go out as soon as most of the kids are down... and they don't come back on until 3. Most of my kids will sleep, although not necessarily for the whole time, and not necessarily right away. I have a couple of kids who bring "nap bags," (that they can only get after they've laid quietly for 15-20 minutes) but the vast majority lay quietly and fall asleep.

I had one parent ask if we HAD to let them take a nap "because she doesn't nap when she's not at school." I told her that we're required by the state to provide a rest period, but we don't require any of the kids to sleep, only to lay quietly.

Unless all the kids are laying on their cots, we can't be over ratio to allow breaks... so they have to be on their cots and quiet the whole time!

14. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 8, 2008

I'm in Txas and I haven't heard this?[/QUOTE]

I am about to be in my 5th year teaching as well as our 5th year being licensed, and this has been a requirement from the start of at least those 5 years.

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 10, 2008

Our nap time is from 1 - 3. This is center wide except for the infants and kindergarten. Infants of course run their own naps and the Kindergarten program is all day so they don't have nap time. Our policy is that everychild needs to lay down for the first 30 minutes (state mandate is 30 minute rest period--so the kindergarteners do quiet table choices for 30 minutes or have a 30 minute quiet time). Generally all the kids fall asleep. We use nap mats and the children bring their own sleeping bags/blankets that go home every Friday to be washed. I have been fortunate this year int hat all my kids usually fall asleep right away and are often asleep before 1 ! I get the mats out while they are finsihing up lunch and when theyar e done eating they go potty and wash up, get their blankets and look at books on their mats. If time allows I read a story and then tuck them in and most of them are alseep before I get the lights of fand the shades pulled. Our center policy is that anyone who is still up after 30 minutes can lay quietly on their mat, or play quitety on their mat. If we are working on our hallway bulletin board, they can come out int he hallway with us and play quietly or look at books, color etc. I usually open my shades at 2:45 and then turn the lights on at 2:50. I tuen the music off at 2:55 and by 3 most of them are up. any that are still sleeping I wake up and as they put their blankets away I wipe down their mats with bleach and water and put them away.