Lemonade detox diet

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by TeachOnTheBeach, Jul 19, 2009.

1. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

I start school mid August, way too early!

I would love to go back and be a little healthier and skinnier.

So I started the Lemonade detox diet.
    It's called the master cleanse.

Involves Lemons (organic, freshly squeezed)
    organic maple syrup
    cayenne peppers

Drink 6-8 servings a day.

Drink water all day.

Tea at night, laxitive
    Salt water in the morning (this is gross)

Some people between 7-40 days. I am going for 10 days.
    I haven't read negative comments about it.

So I thought I would share with everyone my experience...
    I hope that's ok

My starting weight is 139
    My goal weight is 127
    I am 5'0, short
    I am drinking about 90 oz of water

No food at all...yikes

[​IMG]

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

Please don't do this. This is so unbelievably unhealthy, and even dangerous for some people. All you will lose is water weight. You will very quickly gain that back, plus you will have sent your body into starvation mode, thus screwing around with your metabolism, making it even harder to properly lose weight later. You deprive your body of essential nutrients and nutrition. There was another thread about this not too long ago.

If you want to do a detox/cleanse diet and lose weight, look into something based on a whole foods approach like Eat to Live. Cut out sodas and processed food. Go easy on meat and dairy products for a while.

If you do a google search you will find thousands of negative comments, including medical warnings against following this diet.

Here is one recent article I saw a while ago. It has links to medical sources: http://hungryvegan.blogspot.com/2009/05/debunking-master-cleanse-myth.html

I myself lost over 150 lbs. I understand weight loss, and I understand how hard it is and how frustrating and I understand that maintenance can be challenging also. But there is no quick fix. Anything that sounds too good to be true probably is. Also, you don't need to drink massive amounts of water in a day. If you are eating a lot of whole fruits and veggies, the water you get from those sources also counts towards the water your body needs for hydration.

I don't mean to sound preachy. Things like this just scare me silly. Please take care of yourself and BE HEALTHY.

4. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

For weight loss, I really love Weight Watchers. They have an online program that is $40/month and it includes going to a weekly meeting if you want to. The program fits any way that you want to eat, you just make it work for you. I am vegan, and I find it very easy to work with the program--that is how flexible it is. I was on a lot of medications in the fall and winter before and after a surgery and I gained some weight back, so I have been using this off and on to get back to where I want to be.

It keeps track of what you are eating and makes sure you are getting a balance. There are loads of recipes available and a little applet so you can add in your own for nutritional breakdown.

I really like that there is absolutely nothing gimmicky about WW.

5. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

6. emmakate218

emmakate218 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

I completely agree with molly. You will just lose water weight (not true fat) and you will gain the "weight" back once you start eating again. It puts stress on your organs and your metabolism will suffer, which will not make it easy for you to really lose weight. Please, please rethink this.

7. teach2read10

teach2read10 Companion

Jul 19, 2009

My doctor has told me numerous times that he doesn't want any patient of his losing more than 1 or 2 lbs a week. Small lifestyle changes are way better than a yo-yo dieting approach to weight management.

8. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

I understand what you are saying. I think this detox is actually used to clean eveything not really to lose weight, that's just an advantage.
    I am not ungrateful of your opions, truly I am not, I just want to do this just because I need to.
    I just need a kick start to my healthy lifestyle change. I am not doing this for 40 days, I will be done next monday.
    I plan to eat vegan afterwards.
    I just need a little kick start.
    I'm sorry if I sound ungrateful...please don't think I am and I am really reading into it all..really!

9. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

Please do read. The problem is this doesn't clean anything. A proper detox diet is going to have lots of fiber, for one thing. The only thing you will lose or cleanse out on a liquid fast like this is WATER. Your organs are what detoxes your body, and they all but go into hibernation on this sort of fast. Eat to Live is a great vegan detox diet (although the author tells people how to add in meat I think) and it is medically supported. There are different phases to this plan depending on your goals. It also helps teach you a new way to eat.

I know people who have done this lemonade diet. The results are not good and they have had health problems, during the fast and for a while after. It has been widely discussed on a vegan forum I am on. It can be very scary stuff. You can do damage to your body in only a week or 10 days.

Eating vegan is no guarantee of health either. I know a lot of junk food vegetarians and vegans (I have been vegetarian for 20 yrs, so I have had these periods myself). They mostly give up after a few weeks and then spend the next few years loudly proclaiming how unhealthy it is to be veg (my former roommate was one of these). If you are serious, I suggest the books China Study and Becoming Vegan. I recommend the cookbooks Veganomican, Vegan Lunchbox and Yellow Rose Recipes. Vegetarian Times and VegNews are good resources also.

Ok. Off my soapbox. Sorry, I just worry about things like this.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 19, 2009

Counting points with Weight Watchers can be very effective. When I did it two years ago, I lost nearly 4 pounds the first week and about a pound a week after that. It's a very healthy way to eat.

Of course, I backslid when I got lazy...but I'm starting again this week!

11. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

I've done Weight Watchers a lot. One time when I started, I lost 8 pounds the first week! Most other times I've started it's been around 5-6. I've had a lot of success with WW, I just need to keep myself doing it, even when I'm really busy.

12. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jul 19, 2009

I love WW and you can do it as a vegetarian. We do not eat too much meat because it is so expensive and as my kids say--I am cheap. We eat mostly vegetables and very little meat and I lost 75 lbs on WW.

Back to the original post--please talk to your doctor before trying this detox. My cousin landed herself in the hospital after 5 days on the lemonade detox diet. The doctor told her that this is the worst thing that you can do to detox or lose weight. He also said the chance of keeping the weight off after a detox diet is very slim because you put your body in a starvation mode and then your body begins to store everything as fat. If you really want to detox your body, then do it under strict doctor's supervision. Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

13. TeachOnTheBeach

TeachOnTheBeach Rookie

Jul 19, 2009

Good to know. I am thinking about this seriously and thinking that maybe I will rethink this.
    Thanks a lot!