Legos!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by dunwool, Mar 28, 2011.

1. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Mar 28, 2011

I just had a TON of legos donated to my classroom but have no idea what to educationally do with them. Of course they are great for rainy day recess but what else? I want to do something multi-cultural if possible and would love to incorporate math or literacy. Any ideas? I would love to hear for a range of age groups!

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

You could always use them for math manipulatives! Great for counting, adding, subtracting, maybe even multiplying and division at early stages.

You could use them to make shapes for geometry.

4. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2011

Great if you do any sort of force/motion or simple machine activities in science--students can build the bases for different ramps, etc. and test them...

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2011

Literacy, the students use legos to spell out their spelling words, making letters, designing sculptures that start with a certain letter...

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 28, 2011

Patterns of some sort...creating shapes & multiplying like mopar said... What about finding area of buildings they build.

7. Pacificpastime

Pacificpastime Companion

Mar 28, 2011

You could use them to illustrate support and structure. I like all the math ideas. Pattern building would be excellent with legos. In general, legos help students with hand-eye coordination and mechanics.

8. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

Mar 28, 2011

Ooooo lucky you! I want legos for my room. I saw an idea somewhere for Lego poetry... Where you put words on legos and then build poems. I will try to find the link.

9. MrsLilHen

MrsLilHen Comrade

10. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 28, 2011

Legos! They are sooooo educational in ways we don't even imagine. They help kids be creative, problem solve, work as a team to build, strengthen small muscles! The list goes on!

I would like to use them this year to make a 3-D "map" of our community. I will designate a large table, and we will put some of our landmarks on first. Then place each student's house in the approximate place it would go. Also their church, where they like to shop, the movie theater, park, etc. I usually do this with milk cartons, but I think the lego idea would be really fun.

You can also use them as a reward - if everyone gets their work done, or everyone brings their homework back, etc., they can be rewarded with 30 minutes of Lego time. Or you could use it as a center - it would be great added to a group of centers such as spelling, math, writing, reading, small groups, etc. Imagine, working your way to the Lego center!

I lovelovelove Legos. I think kids need and deserve time to be creative and de-stress. Have a blast! You will be the most favored teacher in all the school. I've been adding to my collection a little each year. The kids love Lego days.

11. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Mar 28, 2011

I was donated Legos...a lot of space ones from a friend, over $500 worth. My kids love them. I was also donated several of the mega block sets from freecycle. I think Legos are the best free choice center in my room. All the kids love them!

12. MathEqualsLove

MathEqualsLove Companion

Mar 28, 2011

I participated in a team-building activity once that used Legos. Each group was given a pile of Legos and an assignment to build something related to the topic of study. However, each person was only allowed to use one of their hands. It sounds easy until you try to take two legos apart by yourself using only one hand. Let's just say it's impossible without the help of your teammates.

The activity really promoted teamwork and communication.

13. dunwool

dunwool Rookie

Mar 29, 2011

WOW! What AMAZING ideas you all had! I knew I could turn to your expert advice! I can't wait to try them out and can't wait to hear more ideas! The list just keeps on coming!

14. bonneb

bonneb Fanatic

Mar 30, 2011

One piece of advice I learned the hard way - be sure to let them have pure play time the first few times you get out the Legos. Then have them start using them for projects. They just HAVE to get the play bugs out before they can focus on a directed activity.

15. kab164

kab164 Companion

Mar 30, 2011

I'm taking a reading class right now. One of the students in the class uses this idea. Have a set of reading phrases on index cards (fry phrases is an example). Or you could use your sight words too. Anyway, the students choose a card and if they can read it, they get one lego. Each time they earn another lego, they can start building a structure. Also include some cards that say things like "bonus-choose two legos" or "take a lego from the person to your left," etc. I think kids would love this!

16. teacherCA

teacherCA Rookie

Apr 1, 2011

Legos are great for geometry concepts. I used them this week while teaching top, side, bottom views for 3-d shapes. It really helped the kids grasp the concept. Some who had a hard time imagining the shape visually used the legos for help.

17. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Apr 1, 2011

You are so lucky! Legos are mucho bucks!

A parent donated a large wooden ramp and a box of Lego wheels to my class. We are studying balance and motion. The ramp is like an S, so the cars the kids built had to roll forward on a slight slope, then down a steep slope, and race across the finish line. They had to build cars that would go furthest across the finish line, then make (and document!) changes and then mark if the change improved or decreased the car's performance. It was 100% engaging for an entire hour. Boys and girls. Fortunately, the boys who are sometimes not the fastest or best at math or science were hands down the experts at Lego cars.

"I'm going to try a propeller!" "Hey, two wheels and an axle is FAST!!"