Legally speaking...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Lovetoteachkids, Jun 11, 2007.

1. Lovetoteachkids

Lovetoteachkids Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

I had an interview on May 30th for a 4th grade position, from which a teacher is retiring. Same district I have previously taught in, same grade level to boot. I was told that they weren't sure when the second interviews would be held, so I wasn't left with a timeframe of when I'd hear from them again. Hubby and I were talking, and he says they can't legally hire anyone until the school year is finished. That makes sense to me. Last day for the year is Wednesday. I just snuck on the district website and read the board meeting agenda for last month (minutes aren't up yet). That 4th grade teacher who is retiring is listed and it says under all retiring employees that it is "effective on the last day of the school year, Wed June 13th". So could this be why I haven't heard about a second interview yet? ::::::::::::crossing fingers::::::::::::: I am familiar with this district, the grade level, many of the people, it's conveniently located, and they just redid the entire school so it's beautiful. This is such a LONG wait though!

3. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Jun 11, 2007

I've never heard of that happening. I always thought that as long as the teacher had turned in his/her resignation or whatever that they could hire after that, but if it's legally not effective until then, then yes I guess that could be why. But it's odd that they already did one set of interviews already.

4. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 12, 2007

I don't think that there is a "law" that forbids a district to hire for a position until the end of the school year. However, it might be part of the protocol that the district goes through based on the school board. We have individuals offered a continuing contract prior to the end of the school year. It would be my belief that if the district knows that you are employable somewhere for them then they can hire you.

Hope you hear something soon... good luck!!!