Legalizing Marijuana ... ???

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by vja4Him, Oct 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vja4Him

vja4Him New Member

Oct 26, 2009

What are your thoughts regarding legalizing marijuana ... ???

3. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2009

My personal viewpoint is ???, HOWEVER, I don't take the "yes" standpoint with my students. I've found, through their own debates on the issue, that too many approach it with a "Yeah dude!" attitude.

When they do ask me, I take the discussion into a different direction by reminding them that smoking anything damages the respiratory system and could lead to diseases such as lung cancer

4. vja4Him

vja4Him New Member

Oct 26, 2009

Memory Loss ... ???

What about the negative effects, like memory loss ... ???

5. jway

jway Guest

Oct 26, 2009

I have to be pro-legalization but anti-use.

Because the prohibition doesn't stop people from using marijuana it instead diverts $8 - 10 BILLION a year to the Mexican drug cartels. The cartels murdered more than 6,000 people last year in order to protect this cash flow - many of their victims were *children*, police officers, reporters, lawyers and politicians.

Since the cartels make two-thirds of their incomes from selling marijuana in the U.S. the ONLY way to end these horrific murders is by legalizing the commercial production and sale of marijuana to adults and UNDERCUTTING the cartel's prices.

I personally can't pretend that legalizing marijuana is not an important issue when 7 yr-olds are being shot and burnt to death simply because marijuana is illegal in the U.S.

Treating marijuana like alcohol will also not only end the horrific cartel murders but by undercutting the illegal dealers' prices we'll drive drug dealers out of our communities and severely curtail the ability of kids to purchase the stuff.

I therefore HAVE to support the legalization of marijuana and strongly encourage every non-smoker in our country to do the same.

6. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 26, 2009

I think it should be legalized and heavily taxed. People who smoke marijuana are going to smoke it, regardless of whether it's legal or not. If it is legalized, there doesn't need to be a black market for it, and the health costs it poses can be paid through taxes. In other words, I see it as analogous to nicotine cigarettes.

Of course, like Special-t, I keep my opinion to myself at school.

7. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 26, 2009

The only problem with this argument is that once legal, a vacuum will be made to exist where some other drug just as illicit will take the place of marijuana.

8. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 26, 2009

There already are plenty of other drugs that are still illegal.

9. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2009

Waste of money, resources and time with prohibition of this
    weed. Booze is more dangerous and causes more problems. We have, in recent years, taught people about cigarettes. With education, people will make better choices but that is the answer. Let people choose. Instead we let crooks make money off of it and endager society with the crime wrapped around it.

10. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Oct 26, 2009

I don't think there is any evidence that the Dutch use more drugs than Americans or Canadians so I don't think there is a strong argument for the impact that it being illegal is having. That said, it would be impossible to tax because it is so easy to grow in small quantities how would the government control the taxes?

11. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2009

I'm not really sure that taxing it will be a problem due to the ease of home farming. A state could tax personal services such as haircuts, for instance.

Besides, you wouldn't even need to tax it to have it help America's economy. Merely making it a legal crop would help.

12. MissEducation

MissEducation Companion

Oct 26, 2009

Yes. There are other far more harmful drugs that are legal. I don't believe "two wrongs make a right," but if we as a society have deemed certain drugs acceptable, why not certain other drugs that are scientifically proven to be less damaging?

I believe that marijuana could be better controlled and people better educated about its use if it were legal.

As a fiscal conservative I also cringe to see the amount of money wasted on ineffective prevention methods that seem to be more posturing than anything.

The entire thing is a joke. If you study up on the history of marijuana law it becomes pretty obvious that it was never outlawed due to any actual legitimate concerns, but was instead all political and tied up in corporate interests. The more things change the more they stay the same.

I would, however, never share this belief with my (middle school) students because, as others have said, it is not something I believe they should be involved in and I think they would all interpret it as me being supportive of that kind of behavior. Also, I'm pretty sure I could get fired or at least get several angry phone calls :lol:

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2009

Interesting first post, don't you think??

14. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 26, 2009

I think marijuana should be legalized, taxed, controlled, and legislated like tobacco, alcohol, and other substances. There are laws that say where you can use tobacco products and alcohol, and those should apply to marijuana.

15. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Oct 26, 2009

I thought the very same thing.

16. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 26, 2009

I did as well. And I'm too lazy to look back, but I think TWO first-time posters are in our presence for this particular thread. ;)

17. vja4Him

vja4Him New Member

Oct 26, 2009

My youngest son asked all of his teachers what they though about legalizing marijuana. Anyone interested in what the results were?

One of my boy's friends at school said he would not want his parents doing marijuana. He is afraid that his parents would end up missing too much work, and then they would be homeless, just like many other potheads.

Smart kid ... !!! My son too ... !!!

18. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 26, 2009

Oh wow, didn't notice it was the first post. Thanks for pointing that out, Alice.

19. vja4Him

vja4Him New Member

Oct 26, 2009

I would think someone of your caliber would be more careful with your accusations, which are false. I'm finished with school, not working on a research paper for myself or anyone else.

I've read plenty on this topic, and I have lots of personal experience. I've seen what happens to people who use marijuana, and I see the results quite often in those around town.

I've seen students at school who have problems with smoking pot. Both of my boys know plenty of kids at school who use pot, and they are not doing well in school, or life.

We know parents who have the card so they can use marijuana legally, and they are abusing the system, and setting a bad example for their kids and their kid's friends, neighbors ....

20. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 26, 2009

I find it ever SO INTERESTING, vja, that this would be the first topic you EVER posted on these forums....

21. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Oct 26, 2009

:lol: Actually, I'm on the fence. I've seen the damage done (though far less damage than alcohol has caused) , but I also believe in personal choice.

22. vja4Him

vja4Him New Member

Oct 26, 2009

I think we already have anough problems with alcohol, which causes many deaths every year, and many people and families suffering from alcohol abuse.

People are going to do whatever they want, whenever they want, and wherever they want, no matter what the laws are.

But legalizing marijuana could cause even more serious problems .... I've worked in drug and alcohol rehabilitation, and other programs, helping people who have been addicted to alcohol and various drugs.

I've seen the damage, and have great concern about what will happen to our young people, if they are exposed to their parents and others using legal marijuana ...

23. Securis

Securis Cohort

Oct 26, 2009

Actually, I have no feet. I had this marijuana accident, see....:D

This same topic came up last month and the op disappeared after the first couple of posts. The gurus said the exact same things this time they said last time.

So apologies for any offense taken at my falsely identifying you with a smelly beast that likes goat and has a bridge fetish.

P.S. Apologies to any one who actually may not have feet. In reality, I do have feet. Smelly, and not too tasty. Definitely inedible and far from being even remotely appetizing.

The problems I have with the teetotaler ideal is that use of substances is mystified in the realm of taboo which breeds curiosity, especially in young people with a rebellious nature to hopefully live through. If, with alcohol or mj, people would use and teach moderation, then the mystical quality is dispelled and what was once a curiosity is now uninteresting.

My mother smokes cigarettes and has for many years. Currently neither my three siblings nor I smoke cigarettes. I think that trying to stamp a pattern on how children will react to what you have perceived as a matter of course if they witness bad behavior is inaccurate to how life is really lived. The outcomes are as random as the faces we wear. Some similar but not at all the same.

Here are some positives. Tax revenue from an untapped market, jobs created in regulation, production, merchandise, etc.; a whole economic facet waiting to take off. Non-violent mj offenders released from jails, reintroduce into society to pay taxes and make a living, about 6+ million people.

Some negatives, people will be people and abuse whatever system is in place. We have ample evidence that when you add people, things tend to break down.

24. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 26, 2009

I brought this up a couple months ago, and I did not disappear!

My parents are total stoners, and I have tried pot 2 times in my 28 years. Never really interested me.

Like anything else, moderation is the key. If you eat too much fruit, you can become overweight. Too much pot is going to have its effects.

My uncle is using pot to control his chronic back pain and his bipolar. He had an episode with all his prescribed drugs, resulting in road rage. He stopped taking those pills, got a medical marijuana license and is pain free and more healthy than I have ever seen him. He is also a medical marijuana dispenser. His state is receiving HUGE amounts of money from taxes paid for medical marijuana.

I'm for it, because of my families' experiences as well as the great points made above.

25. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 26, 2009

If people want to kill themselves off quicker...go for it. The literature is out there...people will choose to do whatever they want no matter what....and we should let the govt test on humans...so they can see what really happens. We aren't rats.
    Well..most of us aren't.

26. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 27, 2009

True.

But you had already established yourself here as a teacher-- we knew where you were coming from.

This poster on the other hand..... nope.

27. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 27, 2009

I think this illustrates why you do not deal with a troll by accusing them of trolling. It's unproductive. You report to the moderators.

I don't think vja is a troll, but I'm hardly surprised he/she is being accused of it. It is kind of an odd lead-in to a community.

The topic is an interesting one, anyway, and I don't really think it matters whether vja is a troll or not. While people are often passionate about the issue, there's not so much passion involved any of the regulars here are going to vastly change their opinion of each other.

28. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Oct 27, 2009

I'm all for legalization, not only because it allows the government to tax it and put the money from legalized marijuana towards drug rehab programs, but also because it keeps police forces from having to deal with arresting people who are transporting it and selling it, because hopefully, it will all be done legally. This leaves the police free to actually deal with other crimes.

29. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Oct 27, 2009

Alcohol causes more deaths than marijuana

30. blessedhands

blessedhands Comrade

Oct 27, 2009

Can I say my answer aloud?!! LOL

31. massman

massman Guest

Oct 28, 2009

100 percent for legalization. First off, I would suggest anyone interested in this topic rent the movie, The Union. With that said, a better question, which is never asked, is, why should marijuana be illegal? It has never been directly connected with a single death. You never hear of someone indulging in cannabis, becoming violent. What exactly is the reasoning behind marijuana being illegal. I already know that the real reason is money. You would shut down 90% of the DEA, and empty half the prisons. And there would be a huge dent in pharmaceutical profits. But for people who are just against it, what is the reasoning?

32. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2009

I've had the passing idea of trying medical marijuana for my chronic pain, but to be honest, I have no idea how I would react to it. My body already reacts very unusually to many of the prescription and OTC drugs that are on the market legally. I am afraid to find out how my body would react to marijuana, although if it did offer pain relief, that would be great!

33. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2009

:agreed: Excellent post.

34. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2009

Yes! Let's hear it.

35. massman

massman Guest

Oct 28, 2009

I'm talking about legalization for adults, not children. Talking about kids using marijuana in school as a reason for not legalizing it, is the same as arguing that alcohol should be illegal because kids drink it. Marijuana would still be illegal for people under age 21 if it were legalized. It would be harder for them to get, if it were regulated like alcohol though.

36. massman

massman Guest

Oct 28, 2009

blindteacher - I will tell you from first hand experience, that marijuana will be the most effective pain reliever you'll ever try.

37. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Oct 28, 2009

My husband gets very paranoid on marijuana, but there are methods of removing the parts that make you paranoid...giving you just the cannabis. There are cheesecakes, brownies, and even stir fries that offer you the benefits of marijuana without the side effects people get as they get older! If your state does medical marijuana I suggest you try it!

38. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 28, 2009

It's not legal in my state but I think it may be on its way.

39. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Oct 29, 2009

Why would wanting to legalize marijuana make one a liberal? Isn't small government the hallmark of conservatism?

40. blindteacher

blindteacher Cohort

Oct 29, 2009

Thanks rachaelski. I'll wait till it's legal before I don't anything.

41. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Oct 29, 2009

Actually, legalization is a hallmark of the Libertarian Party.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.