Legal question

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by sunbeachgirl, Oct 31, 2012.

1. sunbeachgirl

sunbeachgirl Rookie

Oct 31, 2012

I have a challenging parent who insists that I require her daughter to attend extra tutoring before and after school for English. The student has a B in an AP English class and is in sped for executive functioning issues such as organization.
    The IEP says nothing about going to teachers for extra help. I am not legally required to make her go to tutoring, correct? She is 16 and totally resistant to going.

3. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Nov 1, 2012

Not unless the IEP says so. It could also be, though, that some IEP service needs to be provided during those tutoring times, so the IEP might not say "tutoring" but "Intervention X," which is only available during before/after-school tutoring, but it's very unlikely. To be safe, if you have a parent insisting that a particular service be provided per the IEP, I would get in touch with the SPED teacher (or, if you are the SPED teacher, your coordinator/supervisor) just to be sure. Last thing you need is a lawsuit or complaint to your supervisor without your district having heard it from you first.

4. ecteach

ecteach Groupie

Nov 2, 2012

How can you make her if the parents can't make her? Is tutoring held after school?

5. bros

bros Phenom

Nov 3, 2012

I'd suggest reading over the IEP to see if there is anything that could be construed as such and if not, tell the parent that the child is resistant to staying afterwards for tutoring, but you can provide study materials for them