Legal Question...

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherApr, Sep 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Sep 18, 2010

Your state isn't alone. Last I saw Parkland Hospital in Dallas TX led the nation in births from illegal moms. It's nothing new and until the US Constitution is amended, it will continue to happen. In fact if the Dream Act becomes law it will most likely get worse because it involves children not being born but just coming over with an parent/adult guardian when under the age of 16. Once citizens they can sponsor their "illegal" parent/guardian.

2. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Sep 18, 2010

:yeahthat:

I lived in San Diego for many yrs and we saw this happen all the time

3. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Sep 18, 2010

I may come off as a naive Minnesotan, but there is something I have to know.

I live in a border town with Canada. I don't understand how all these issues come into play with Mexico.

Here, Canada and the US are the same pretty much. We belong to the same organizations, advertise with each other on the radio, etc. People live in the US and work in Canada/vice versa and there is no issue.

What is it with Mexico and abusing the US system? My Canadian friends would never do that. They are happy being Canadian, educated in Canada, etc.

I just can't comprehend a Canadian or me doing this...Why is Mexico different?

I know how Mexico is with its southern border, so that perplexes me even more...

4. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

eek..maybe I should have posted this in the debate section....sorry heh didn't mean for it to turn into a debate

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I think the US and Canada are about equal in terms of economic prosperity. If I had to guess, I would bet the per capita incomes would be pretty close. There's no reason to sneak across the border when the opportunities are pretty much the same as at home.

But I think a lot of Mexicans see things in the US as being far superior to what's available at home. There's simply a lot more money to be made, a greater education to be had, and more opportunities. They're willing to risk being caught in order to take advantage of the greater opportunities here.

Not justifying it, folks. Just offering an explanation.

6. DallasTeacher

DallasTeacher Companion

Sep 19, 2010

There aren't free schools in many parts of Mexico, small villages, nor indoor plumbing. Wages are along the lines of 1 dollar a day. I would estimate that about 35% of my students are iounce country illegally, another 35% have one or both parents in the country illegally but they were born here. I haven't taken the time to actually tally as it doesn't matter my personal feelings -- ALL are entitled to a free US education.

7. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

Sorry, can't keep my mouth shut heh

Except for illegals.....

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I've always felt that if we were facing an influx of illegal immigrants from Canada, we wouldn't get so upset.

All this anger and hostility about illegal immigrants from Mexico really feels to me like it it is rooted in some serious racism.

9. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Sep 19, 2010

While I can't speak for anybody but myself, I absolutely would be just as upset if the influx of illegal immigrants were from Canada, or France, or England, or anywhere else. I am offended by any person or group of people who think it's okay to flaunt the laws of my country.

10. shouldbeasleep

shouldbeasleep Enthusiast

Sep 19, 2010

I agree with Caesar. Flame away.

11. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Sep 19, 2010

There is no such thing as "free" education. Schools are funded by taxpayers, which means the American public must foot the bill for all students in public schools.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

...And did you know that most (2/3) illegal immigrants pay taxes in the US? They do so because they want to adhere to the laws. It costs a lot of money and takes a lot of knowledge of "the system" to get papers in the US. Many people who come here don't have much of either, but they aren't bad people who are just here to break the laws. They're here because it's a better place.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/illegal-immigrants-paying-taxes-621300.html
    http://www.usatoday.com/money/perfi/taxes/2008-04-10-immigrantstaxes_N.htm
    http://www.taxfoundation.org/blog/show/1424.html
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/06/04/AR2006060400965.html
    http://reason.org/news/show/122411.html

13. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

:thumb:

14. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Sep 19, 2010

I would be just as angry for any group to think they could come over and live w/o going through proper channels; however (and I don't agree, just a thought!) that maybe people are more upset w/ Mexico b/c the Mexicans that are coming over do not speak English and we have to cater to them while if it happened with Canada, they speak English so it wouldn't be such a big deal. Just a thought!

15. TeacherApr

TeacherApr Groupie

Sep 19, 2010

Sorry but, with my experience, Canadians are nicer and more gracious. I have seen way too many Hispanics expect things to be handed to them and it goes with their children too in school!

Just talked to a Border Patrol. It is illegal if she doesn't have the proper documentation and...I'll leave it at that. ; )

16. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Sep 19, 2010

Please don't tell me that I am the only one who thinks this has officially crossed the lines to offensive. Moderators????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.