LEFTIES

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Ms.T, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Dec 31, 2006

I have a lefty in my 2nd grade class who writes with the hook-style. His writing is awful, even when he tries to be neat.
    Is it too late to change this bad habit? How can I help him?

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 31, 2006

I would guess that it is indeed too late, though I don't know the real theory behind it. My father wrote like that his whole life - and had beautiful handwriting. He was very artistic, though. I think it is more a reflection of those other kinds of factors than the 'hook' style.

4. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Dec 31, 2006

I'm a lefty. My handwriting was HORRID in Elementary school. If I slowed down to make it neat, then I got behind on my work. I think I got an A in handwriting ONE TIME and that was later on in grades... 5th grade maybe... I can't remember. It was a struggle to get a B. It didn't improve until I got a job working with 1st and 2nd graders. I had to teach myself how to write neater if I was going to do the same with them.

Maybe consult with an occupational therapist on what might could be done to improve his handwriting.

5. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

6. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jan 1, 2007

That's a great resource, Research Parent, thanks! Half of the boys in my Student Support Centre are lefties with often illegible writing(interesting, eh?) and while by this time (grade 7 and 8) it's too late to change their handwriting, it will be great to pass on to our kindergarten and primary teachers.

7. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 1, 2007

My sister is left handed and she writes with a hook. Her handwriting is very neat. I am right handed and my writing is horrible!

8. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jan 1, 2007

Research Parent,

I am a leftie and the advice I read was right on. Luckily, when I was in second grade I learned to write correctly. The two things that really helped me was tilting my paper and not sitting with a rightie on my left.

9. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Jan 2, 2007

Thank you all for your responses! I am going to really enforce the rotating of his paper. I try to make sure everyone tilts theirs appropriately, but now I really see that this will be beneficial to the lefties. I'm also going to give him a pencil grip.

10. AbbyR

AbbyR Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

My daughter is left handed, and since I knew she would have trouble in school, I taught her to write myself. Every time she started with the hook, I gently held her wrist and showed her how to do it. My explanation for doing it my way, rather than hers, was that when she started to write faster, she would really get tired holding her hand that way. She's 24 today and has beautiful handwriting.

11. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

Jan 2, 2007

Glad I could be of assistance...

Advice I give ALL students in order to improve handwriting is to use a PENCIL GRIP and tilt their papers.

12. Crystal73

Crystal73 Rookie

Jan 2, 2007

I am a lefty, and when I was in elementary school i was constantly being corrected by teachers as to the "correct" way to write and place my paper. I am not a hook writer, but to this day, i turn my paper to the extreme right (top of paper faces my right arm) I get a lot of stares of amazement, however the reticule has stayed with me for over 20 years. Im sure his writing will improve, but just be gentle. Its hard enough being a "lefty" in a righty world!

Good Luck

13. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Jan 3, 2007

Both my kids are lefties. As my mom and one of my sisters are also lefties, I was able to anticipate some of the problems with being a lefty. My daughter is more ambidextrous and was able to assimilate herself better to the a right handed world...she cuts with her right hand and does a few other things right handed, but she writes with her left. My son is a strong lefty and always had trouble cutting with scisors. My son's handwriting is a little messy, but still not bad, my daughter's is very neat. Neither writes with a hook, but the way I see it, they will do what's comfortable for them anyway and the hook for a lefty has a few advantages....seeing what you are doing and not getting ink all over your hand. About turning the page, I do that as a righty...the top of my page faces to my left.

14. sccrplayer

sccrplayer Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

Well, I'd say no, it's not too late. I am a lefty, as well, and I now have very neat handwriting. All it takes is about 6 weeks of practice, making sure he holds his pencil between his thumb, forefinger, and middle finger. Gently encourage him to keep writing like this, and it should help. Take a look at anythingleft-handed.co.uk for some more information.

15. MarshNConsMom

MarshNConsMom Rookie

Sep 4, 2007

Although this thread is old, I'd like to thank you for this information. Both of my sons are lefties. One just entered 1st grade and the other is in preschool. My husband and I don't have any experience being a lefty. Neither one of us have family who are lefties (that we know of)