Left handed teacher

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Pencil Monkey, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Pencil Monkey

Pencil Monkey Devotee

Sep 29, 2013

I am so tired of my kids complaining because I am a lefty. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard when a child asks me to just write the right way so she can see.

Boo! I'm sorry kids. Not going to happen.

Anyway on to my real question...how do my fellow left handed teachers manage to write on the overhead? This seems so basic. But I still don't have the hang of it and resort to printing things out onto transparency to get around it.

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 29, 2013

Overheads? We got rid of those years ago.

I do hate the ink smudge I sometimes get on my hand from the whiteboard markers though.

4. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 29, 2013

I'm a lefty and back when we had overheads I tried to alter my grip so I didn't drag my hand. I also stood on the right of the machine.
    Now with my doc cam I have to change the configuration of the camera placement. It does mean that my camera isn't as far to the right of my room like the other teachers( it's closer to the center of the front) and it makes it so I have to get up and move a lot so I'm not blocking the screen. It's a bummer when I see other teachers have lots more space for kids to sit on the floor in the front of the room, but oh we'll.

5. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Sep 29, 2013

I haven't used the overhead in a while, but I used to stand to the right of it when I was writing. That usually did the trick.

6. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 29, 2013

My body gets in the way of my writing than me using my left hand. I have a smartboard. They can just get over it and wait for you to get done writng.

7. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Sep 29, 2013

When we had overheads I used to hold my hand over the transparency so it wouldn't drag across. I always had tons of marker on my hand at the end of the day either way.
    Now with the document camera it works better. Both the camera and the projector are on the same cart, ao I just sit to the far left of the cart and have the projector to the far right so I am never blocking the projector with my body. The students still have to wait until I'm done writing to read anything, but there's no getting around that.

8. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Sep 29, 2013

Overhead? I just had a flashback to the good old days of school. :)
    Sometimes I get smudges on my hand after using the whiteboard, but I just re position the doc camera when I'm using that. I always remind my class I will move to the side shortly so they can see anything I may be blocking. No comments yet from students on me being left handed.