Left and Right

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by Deeena, Sep 5, 2006.

1. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Sep 5, 2006

I will be teaching Left and Right in math soon and was wondering if anyone has any creative ideas. Thanks!

3. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 5, 2006

I'm sure you know the "left makes an L" trick when you hold your hands out in front of you, thumbs touching. of course, this only works when you know which way is an L. I'm a lefty, so I wear my watch on my right wrist, and always have. So for me, "right" was my "watch hand."

4. Xtine

Xtine Companion

Sep 6, 2006

How about a game of Twister? Start with labelling Left and Right hands and feet (marker, tape, could make Left/Right socks...) Once they can play with labels remove either the Left or Right labels, and eventually remove them all.

5. emartin05

emartin05 Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

I use the Cha-Cha Slide and the Boogie Walk (Greg and Steve) to practice left and right.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 6, 2006

do the hokey pokey!

7. Ms.MB

Ms.MB Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

What about Simon Says! My daughter's kindergarten class loves it.

8. Lnmjesse

Lnmjesse Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

I went to a Handwriting Without Tears Workshop that had a few ideas for that.
    1. Give them a tiny squirt of scented lotion in their right/left hand. Stress that it is going in their right hand.
    2. Raise right hand and Have repeat after you.
    -"This is my right hand!"
    -"I say the Pledge of Allegiance with my right Hand!"
    -"I shake hands with my right hand"
    -"I can wave with my right hand" (etc.)

9. Noel

Noel Companion

Sep 6, 2006

We use this...

Our math book uses this little poem that has seemed to work very well in the past....

This is my right hand I raise it up high.
    This is my left hand I'll touch the sky.
    Right hand, left hand roll them around.
    Left hand, right hand, pound, pound, pound.

10. arm605

arm605 Rookie

Sep 6, 2006

I am 22 and I still have a hard time with my left and right....the L trick with your hand definitely works for me!!!! (I was told this was a minor learning disability, but it is still super embarrassing!!)

11. LakeSophie

LakeSophie Comrade

Sep 6, 2006

Saxon math has us make red & green hands, write Left and Right on them and post them up on every wall where kids will seem them easily. My 1st graders are constantly refering to them to help.

We also play "Miss H says" (because, as I told the kids, my name isn't Simon) to practice right and left.

12. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Sep 6, 2006

Right Hand Wristbands

We started learning left and right today. I made wristbands that the students wear on their right wrists. I used yarn and did Packer colored wristbands for the boys (I'm from WI and everyone *mostly* loves the Packers) and princess wristbands (pink and purple) for the girls. The kids love them, and it really helps to distinguish between left and right.

13. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Oct 3, 2006

You have probably already covered this in your class by now, but I thought someone might find it useful....

A college professor of mine taught us this poem to teach children the difference between left and right. You start by taking a red marker and making a tiny dot on the pinky of every child's right hand (on the palm-side). The children have no idea what you're doing to them and they are so anxious to find out what the dot is for! Then you recite the poem.

1, 2, 3, 4, 5
    Once I caught a fish alive
    6, 7, 8, 9, 10
    Then I threw it back again
    Why did you let it go?
    Because it bit my finger so!
    Which finger did it bite?
    The little pinky on the right.

As they say the little pinky on the right, they hold up their little pinkines with their red "bites" on them. They love this part, where they finally see what the dot was for!

After doing the poem I trace my right hand onto red construction paper (like their red dots) and write "right" on it and tape it to the board so that they can use it for a reference. It worked well with my kiddies.....:love:

14. bethany1120

bethany1120 Companion

Oct 4, 2006

What a great idea! I'm going to try that in my room today!

15. Deeena

Deeena Cohort

Oct 4, 2006

I love that idea! Thanks for sharing. I can't wait to try it with my kids-- I think they'll love it!

16. MsMelissa06

MsMelissa06 New Member

Oct 4, 2006

A trick I used was placing a yellow sticker on everyones right hand, then a green on their left. This way when we did the hookey pooky or other left and right lessons they would remember which color is for which hand. I also had the same stickers on my hands so they could see that.