Leaving the teaching profession?

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by Iris1001, Nov 24, 2021 at 8:52 AM.

1. Iris1001

Iris1001 Rookie

Nov 24, 2021 at 8:52 AM

Hello, everyone.

I miss you all and hope you are having a wonderful Wednesday. I'm gearing up for Thanksgiving and break, but I've been struggling a bit. Long story short, my new district is not the right fit for me. I should have never signed the contract, but I needed the job to pay my bills and support myself.

As I'm trudging through this school year, my sixth year in education, I'm wondering if I should leave the teaching profession. I still have no idea what I'm doing. I got my license through Alternate Route, so I had no formal training. I had to learn everything by myself. I have thought about going back to school for a master's in English education, just to learn more content and possibly get some classroom ideas, but I don't know if it would be superfluous at this time. At the time, I thought it would be silly to go into student teaching if I've already managed my own classroom for six years.

I just feel like I'm a bad teacher. I'm an overly nice person, so maybe this isn't the career for me. I just don't know what else I would do.

Do you think I should go back to school before giving up on this career entirely? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much. :heart: Happy Thanksgiving to all.

3. Guitart

Guitart Companion

Nov 24, 2021 at 1:43 PM

Maybe secondary is not your thing. If you have a good heart and kindness to offer, perhaps Pre-K or elementary is a better fit.

mrsf70 and Iris1001 like this.
  4. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Nov 24, 2021 at 4:35 PM

I'm wondering what makes you feel like you are a "terrible teacher"? And why you are interested in going back to school. What are the specifics about what is making you unhappy in the job? Sorry - you might have told us and I haven't looked at previous posts.
    And just fyi - I went the traditional route of student teaching, credential program etc...NONE of it really prepped me for being in my own classroom. You have 6 years (5.5?) under your belt. You are probably a LOT better at it than you are giving yourself credit for.
    If it's stuff outside of your classroom (admin, etc) is it stuff you can ignore and just be in your room?
    My heart goes out to you.

mrsf70 and Iris1001 like this.