Leaving Sub Plans

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ms.irene, Oct 1, 2013.

1. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2013

I am taking a personal day and need to leave sub plans. (I know, I know, I should have my emergency plans ready to go at any moment already, but it just hasn't happened yet!). Aside from the detailed plans for the day and seating chart, what else should I be sure to leave? This seems like an obvious one but I am trying to write them out and am drawing a blank.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

Schedule, list of any students who get pulled out with times, list of students for each period who can be trusted to help with any questions.

I remember when I subbed, I had one teacher who always left money for a soda at lunch. I thought that was a nice touch and loved subbing for her.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

Names of other adults in the building they can go to for assistance or clarification, location of the staff lounge, washrooms, etc., list of procedures for student use of the washroom, etc.

5. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 1, 2013

Names of students in each period who can (truthfully) answer questions the sub might have about class procedures.

We have to leave our emergency code procedures in the sub book, too... I leave the names and periods of any children who have life-threatening allergies and details on how to call a code.

I also leave directions to find my hidden candy stash. They need chocolate after a certain period!

6. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Oct 1, 2013

I leave my phone number in case they need to get in touch with me for whatever reason. I've only ever had one sub actually use it, but it makes me feel better.

7. mazzystar

mazzystar Rookie

Oct 1, 2013

work for kids who get done early.

8. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 1, 2013

I don't use my emergency plans for personal days. I save the emergency plans for when I have to call in sick or I leave them out the night before if I feel really horrible when it's time to leave. Just my :2cents:

I leave very detailed sub plans. Bathroom procedures, tardy/attendance policies. Approximate times of daily routines. Sometimes I'll leave my ipod & tell the sub how to find the songs that they need, or I'll leave the cd & say what track they will need.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 1, 2013

Same here! I hate to "waste" my emergency plans for planned absences.

10. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 1, 2013

This is what I would (I do) include. Half of this can be typed up ahead of time and kept for emergency or planned absences.

Typed up ahead of time:
    school wide procedures (if your school doesn't provide them)
    - bell schedule
    - locations of essential places like office, bathroom, etc.
    -Policies such as phone, gum, etc and their consequence
    - are there morning announcements?
    -Things that are not specific to your classroom, but are important to know.
    - phone numbers to office

classroom procedures and routines:
    - seating chart
    - places students are not allowed
    - how they enter, how they leave
    - bathroom policy
    - rules and expectations
    - consequences and rewards
    - transitions, quiet signal etc.
    - students' names who can help you out, take attendance to office, etc.
    - how to work computer, docucam, projector, etc
    - can they send a student to a neighbor teacher? Which one? for how long?

These can be typed up ahead of time, and shouldn't take more than a page and a half.

In addition to this:
    - extra work just in case they get done fast
    - extra work for specific students
    - answer keys if they're supposed to go over things in class or grade papers. Very important and most teachers forget this. Subs don't have the time to figure out the answer when they have to manage a classroom they've never seen before.
    - back up plan if the lesson is technology based and technology fails
    - the actual lesson plan. And it's helpful to tell them how much you absolutely expect, how much would be great if they get done and what is just the extra work for just in case.
    I felt pretty annoyed quite a few times when I found work t be done in a 51 minute class that would have taken 2 hours to do, but the teacher didn't tell me if she wanted us to do everything, or part of it was a 'just in case they get done early' work. It stressed me out.

11. ms.irene

ms.irene Connoisseur

Oct 1, 2013

Thanks for all the great ideas! Although I didn't mean I would leave the emergency plans for the personal day, just that I should have had all this organized earlier :blush:

12. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 1, 2013

Make sure you leave enough work to keep the students busy for the entire class period. I was a sub for 2.5 years and my worst nightmare was when the students finished their work in the first 20 minutes of class! It is especially tough when you're subbing for a subject that you're not familiar with.

13. Anonymousteach

Anonymousteach Companion

Oct 1, 2013

Oh, one more thought...

There was one teacher who I subbed for on a regular basis who always warned her classes that if she received a bad report, she would have the entire class write a 2 page, 100 point essay about why they should treat substitutes with respect. If they failed to turn it in, she would make a phone call home and give them a zero.

I don't know if she actually followed through with that, but all I had to do was remind them about the 100 point essay and that would keep them quiet for the remainder of the period. :)

You obviously don't have to do that, but I thought I would share it.

14. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 1, 2013

Thanks for reminding me! I'm away 3 days next week and haven't started the sub plans yet! I have invited the sub to come in on Friday and spend some time with me and my class to get a feel for the routines.

15. microbe

microbe Comrade

Oct 1, 2013

I love it when teachers do that!

The teachers that had a consequence for bad behavior (that the sub could remind them of) typically had the most well-behaved classes. I've actually had kids tell me that they're allowed to treat me badly because I'm a sub. :dizzy:

Everyone left great advice for what to include. The top things I always needed when I was subbing that were absolutely necessary...

1. lesson plan
    2. seating chart
    3. fire drill instructions
    4. for elementary classes, daily routines

There's nothing worse than being a sub on the day of a fire drill with no roster and no clue what you need to do/where you need to go. Kids will wander and it becomes quite the catastrophe quickly! :eek:

As for things such as routines and policies, make sure to keep it short and to the point. I've had teachers that leave behind entire binders full of information and it's simply too much. Conversely, don't leave important things out. I had one teacher that didn't leave me any of her routines, so I wasn't aware that I had to walk the class to lunch (it varies school to school, and the kids told me that their teacher didn't walk them).

Bad decision on my part, because it turns out the teacher is supposed to walk them to lunch, and one student put his foot through a glass door on his way to the lunchroom. My fault? Definitely, but a little note from the teacher would have been helpful. :)

I don't mean to offend, but is the sub getting paid to come learn your routines with you on Friday?

16. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 2, 2013

No, I simply asked her if she wanted to. She definitely does not have to come.