Leaving School for another job 10 weeks in?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SweetMsNC, Oct 18, 2007.

1. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

I teach second grade in a small charter school. Recently, I have purchased a house that is approximately 33 miles from school. Now, I really like my charter school. I have 12 students and have no pressure from adminstration. However, the pay is lower than working for a normal public school. Also, all the teaching resources are old and outdated, and there are no math or science manipulatives. I have spent over $2,000 this year alone in getting my classroom set up.

By coincidence, I was looking through the jobs section of the newspaper and saw an ad seeking teachers at a school right down the road from my new house. I went on the interview and was offered a job. I was so happy because now the commute is shorter AND the pay is more.

Now, the hard part would be to tell my employer that I am leaving. I thought that she would wish me well and send me on my way. But no, that is not what happened. She chewed me out from left to right. She told me that I have no moral or ethical responsibilities towards my students, and that I would scar them forever. I was shocked. Anyone who walks through my classroom can clearly tell that I care about these kids. However, I cannot turn an opportunity down that is closer to my house and more $$.

Needless to say, no one at work is talking to me as I finish my last two weeks. I feel awful, but in the same respect, I feel that I have made the best decision for me and my family. I just moved here and am starting for scratch. I need to make more money.

Has anyone ever been in this situation, or have any opinions? Please keep your comments upbeat.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 18, 2007

Who could fault you for accepting a job that paid more and was closer to your house? I WOULDN'T!! You are not going to scar those kids FOREVER...I think the principal is stressing over trying to find a replacement among other things and took it out on you which is not right. I'm sorry that your coworkers are acting like this towards you. But you only have two weeks (only 10 days) so just start counting down. I'm surprised that you had $2000 to spend w/ low pay and buying a new house. :clap:

4. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Oct 18, 2007

Congrats on finding a job mid-year! I am looking in Ohio right now, so i can move from Texas, but no luck :(

Nobody here faults you for this! Make your move, make your money, make new friends, and don't feel guilty!

5. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2007

I would be quite sad if my son's teacher left mid-year, mainly because I think she's quite good. It would not cross my mind to blame her for "shirking responsibility" though -- if I would be mad at anyone, it would be the school for not trying harder to retain her. The principal's just being histrionic.

You coworkers are probably responding to the tone the principal has set. This is a bit sad, but it happens with anyone who's become persona non grata at an institution.

How it affects the kids will be a result of how well the transition is handled. If the school broadcasts to the kids that it should be upsetting, it will upset them. Otherwise, the kids will largely be fine. Regardless of what the school does (b/c you really can't control that), I'd suggest you try to present it to the kids in a way they'll understand. Not "Yay, I'm leaving!", but not doom-and-gloom either. Maybe stress the move (not the cash) as the reason for leaving.

I don't know if there's anything you can do to help find a replacement or otherwise ease the transition. If you really want to smooth things over you could try, though it sounds like you're really not under any particular obligation to do so.

6. wig

wig Devotee

Oct 18, 2007

You certainly will NOT scar those kids forever. But surely you do see the dellema you left the school in. While she certainly over reacted, I can understand why she would be upset with you and understand why she wasn't congratulating you. If you did not sign a contract, you have the right to leave whenever.

7. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Oct 18, 2007

Our school has lost at least one teacher at semester break each year for the last 5. Two retired, two got married and moved away and one had a baby and decided not to return to work.

It's not ideal, but in all of those cases, the kids survived, thrived and learned. Life isn't always a predictable, straight line, and I think it's good for kids to learn that lesson early. Congrats on the new job!
    Kim

8. SweetMsNC

SweetMsNC Rookie

Oct 18, 2007

I do realize that I put my school in a tough spot, and I feel awful about that. All things considered, this was not something that I could turn down. I am on contract with my school but can resign without cause with a 10 day resignation notice. And of course, I have turned that in and am waiting for the 10 days to expire.

Thank you for all the comments! You all have made me feel better!

9. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Oct 20, 2007

Congrats on the new job! I am in a similar situation. I drive 30 miles from my house to work and make very little. There is a job opening that I am interested in and would pay more money, but I am under a contract so I can't go for it :( Our school's K teacher broke her contract this year (3rd day of school) for a public school job and they didn't seem to mind too much.