Leaving puppy at home when school starts.

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TXTeacher4, Aug 1, 2007.

1. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I got a new puppy this summer. She is our first dog. We love her to pieces! She hasn't been left alone for more than 4 hours. Do any of you leave dogs at home while you go to work? If so, do you crate them? I am not looking forward to this at all. :(

3. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 1, 2007

I feel you! We got a Pomeranian for Christmas, and we couldn't love her more. It is very hard to leave her! We don't crate, but we do confine her to the kitchen using babygates. We had to start doing this because she chews when she gets nervous!

4. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Aug 1, 2007

Do you have a doggie day care near you? The teachers at my school who use our local one love it.

5. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

We have two Yorkies that keep each other company while we are gone during the day. I have them confined to the kitchen area with gates. Be sure to put Piddle Pads down on the floor somewhere and try to train your dog to use those if it can't make it until you get home. This works pretty well for us. Congratulations on your new puppy! They do have a way of bringing a smile to your face don't they?!

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 1, 2007

We have a 12 year old lab/dalmation mix, and she's old enough to be left roaming the house without damaging things. When she was a puppy, we crated her whenever we left the house. We actually used her crate until she was about 3. I say that you have to confine them for their own safety - aside from the possibilty that she'll pee in your home, some of the things that she can get to and chew are potentially harmful for a dog. Even things that normally won't harm (like a table) can get sharp when chewed, and can cut the dog.

I soooooo want another puppy, but I don't want to have to go through this whole thing again (the leaving her when we go to work for hours and hours). I always felt so guilty! It's worse than a child in some ways - at least with a child, you leave them in a daycare setting with people that you (hopefully) know and like. With a dog, you're usually leaving them all alone, and that just makes me feel so sad.
    Kim

7. shortee

shortee Companion

Aug 1, 2007

When I first went back to work I crated my puppy. I felt so bad leaving him like this but he actually seemed to like it. I lured him in with a rawhide or something and left him with his blanket, some water and one of his stuffed animal toys and he was very happy. I even left the TV on for some noise for him. (cartoons, of course) He's 5 now so he just has the run of the house while I'm gone. I do recommend crating. I never did it with my other two dogs and they NEVER were able to be trusted with the run of the house. Always got into something!!!

8. DaveF

DaveF Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Put the crate in the bathroom. Use baby gates to keep her somewhat confined. Turn on a radio. She will be fine.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 1, 2007

We have two dogs so that each one always has a buddy. :)

Ours are confined to the kitchen area with a baby gate. This works well for them since they have some space to run around in, access to food and water (we don't do timed feedings--they eat when they like), and a couple of beds to curl up on.

One of our dogs would do just fine with free access to the whole house, but the other wouldn't. They don't like to be separated, so we keep them both in the kitchen.

Like another poster, we leave on the TV or a radio for some ambient noise. And we always leave on the light over the stove just in case we get held up and aren't home as early as we'd like to be.

If we had to do it over again, we'd probably at least try crating. I've heard wonderful things about it. We'll try it with our next dogs in however many years.

10. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 1, 2007

I have been obsessing about this all summer. We got our pomeranian about 6 months ago and we love her incredibly. She is soooo sweet - but destructive. We crate her when we're out because she chews electrical cords. We've never crated her for more than 5 hours, though, so I'm worried. My daughter will be home one day a week, so that will help.

If you give them water in the crate, it will just make them want to pee more. I've heard not to give water.

11. divey

divey Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I hated the thought of crating our weimaraner when we first got her, but after coming home to her having wrecked havoc in our sunroom during the day, we were forced to do it. She, like another poster suggested, really seemed to enjoy being crated. After she had her puppies, we got out of the habit of crating her (simply so she'd have access to nurse her babies). With the exception of losing a few things left carelessly on the counter (for some reason, she went through eating a butter phase. At least it was Smart Balance, so a little better for her....) she does pretty well. One thing I found (and this may be purely coincidental), but there was more orneriness when I left "Animal Planet" on for her to watch. Now she just gets local channels (although she does seem a wee bit depressed after watching "Montel" :rolleyes: )

12. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Aug 1, 2007

I got my yorkie-poo puppy last September and crating worked very well for her last school year. She learned to potty train really well in it, and could go all day without making a mess. I read on numerous sites that you should always leave water in their crates...little dogs can dehydrate so fast. Since mine is potty trained and doesn't tear anything up in the house, I don't plan on crating her this year. If we're gone now, we just let her have free run of the house or keep her confined in the familiy room.

13. Lilu0819

Lilu0819 Companion

Aug 1, 2007

We've crated our lab since we got him as a puppy. He seems to know when we are leaving because he goes right into his crate without us having to say anything. :) Now that he's a little over 2...he could probably stay out for short amounts of time while we are gone. The biggest thing I'm worried about is that he sometimes eats our kitty's poop out of his litter box. Gross.:down:

14. carlea

carlea Comrade

Aug 1, 2007

We have 2 dogs (1 yr & 8 mos.) - they were potty trained by 3 mos & we put in a doggy door, so we don't worry about accidents. Our 1 yr. old gets into everything, so for a while we kept them outside while we were gone. Since his surgery (and it's my summer break), he's in the crate part of the day & all night. When I go back to work, he'll be in the crate all day & the little one will get to be inside & use the doggy door to go out. We also have a gate so they're confined to the kitchen/family room.

My school breaks used to be 3-4 weeks for winter & spring & 6 weeks in the summer. It's hard for them (& me) to leave them all day again after the breaks, so I usually start leaving them alone for longer periods of time 1-2 weeks before I go back so they get used to it again.

15. La Profesora

La Profesora Cohort

Aug 1, 2007

We had a sheltie that we crated for 14 years, from birth to... you know. She loved her crate and would be there sometimes when she didn't need to be. Always left food and water. Left the house at 7, home at 5, she was fine. Find a nice neighbor or friend who will let her out if you are gone longer.

16. curlyone

curlyone Rookie

Aug 1, 2007

Congrats on your puppy! She will bring many laughs to your life! (Sometimes we all laugh when we REALLY want to cry!!:eek: )

We have a 4.5 yo chocolate lab and I can not imagine life with out our brown butthead!

Some feel crating is cruel, but by nature they want someplace safe and den-like. She will do fine in a crate while you are gone. I would be careful about leaving things in her crate that could become a choking hazard or obstructions(rawhides). I highly recommend KONGS. They are made of very durable rubber and can be stuffed with treats (we use peanut butter). If frozen, they can provide at least an hour of distraction.

Once your baby ages, you may be able to allow free roam and not have to worry about her safety, but each dog is different as to when (if ever). Ours has free roam, but she is "calm" now :)

No matter what you decide, PLEASE go to obedience school! Training makes ALL the difference in the world! Like our students, she needs to know your expectaions and be able to follow commands, which can become a life-saver.

Sorry so long! I am really passionate about being RESPONSIBLE with pet ownership. Remember, they give us their all, and all they ask in return is for our love and protection.

Best of luck!

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

We have a Rat Terrier. We also live on an acre so he just roams the backyard.

18. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Aug 1, 2007

Dogs will adjust to your routine if you insist on it. Crating is the way to go at least for the beginning. Dogs actually love the security of being in a crate and you will love the security of knowing nothing is being damaged or peed on. Crating helps with house training too as they will not 'go' where they sleep. My golden retriever was crated as a puppy and is now 9. We no longer have to crate him, but it's interesting that he still always looks for confined spaces to lay (under the computer desk, in a remote corner, etc...) They are really fine left alone, it's usually the people who have the big problem with it.

19. teachder

teachder Companion

Aug 1, 2007

Always give food and water. They will get dehydrated. They will learn that they should eat or drink to much or they'll have to pee, and they won't want to in a crate so they will moderate their intake. My sassie, was 6 weeks old when i got her. She is 5 now. She was at least a few months old when I started working, but she was crate trainned very fast and did it on her own- never had accidents in the crate. I was a substitue, so it helped but i would leave her at times for a whole school day. As soon as i got home, she'd be so happy to see me and forget she had to pee so she'd pee on me while kissing me! Her crate was HUGE for her size. We are going back to living in a condo so she'll need to be crated again for the school day now that i'm a teacher. Hope the crate is still big for her. I might see if i can leave her in the bedroom with a babygate(she might jump it) or the bathroom but thats kind of small. I'm afraid the bedroom is to big to remind her not to pee. We are moving 5 mins from school, so i'll be able to be home fast and not have to leave home till the last min, and we have a few weeks here to practice slowly of getting into the habit which I think is key. I also think that allowing the crate to be opened and used other times when people are home is key, it gives them the sense that it's a good safe place not a bad thing.
    Good luck.

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 1, 2007

We never crated ours. We had a big box with a blanket in it. We had a hard surfaced floor & just put a gate across the door way. I felt bad putting her in a crate. Plus she loved sleeping on the register (we had an old house with huge registers for the ac & heat.) We fed her when we first got up, so we could let her out before leaving for the day. We did get one of those self watering bowls & gave her a small amount of food for the day.

Good Luck!!!

21. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 3, 2007

I have a dalmatian (obviously) who was crated when she was a puppy. I definitely agree that it makes them feel safer to have that den-like place. When she turned about 3 -I started shutting her in the bedroom and I still do that. I leave the radio on for her and now she's 11 and I think she pretty much just sleeps on the bed all day.

At least if you have some time for in-service in the beginning, maybe you can go home at lunch time and check on her, let her out for bit. It might make you feel better to kind of ease her into being alone the whole day.

22. KanikaGirl

KanikaGirl New Member

Aug 4, 2007

Crying Puppy

I have a question. I have a shih Tzu he is 7 months old and I have had him for 4 months. The previous owners did not keep him in a crate, but in their laundy room. I keep him in a crate when I am not home. He's been put in the crate at least for an hour everyday. He is still barking and whinning when I leave him in it. SO i tried to keep him in the kitchen and I bought a baby gate. He climbs it! anyone have any suggestions on how to either keep him from climbing the gate or get him to stop whinning when I put him in his crate? Any suggestions would be great! thank you

23. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 4, 2007

My dog has seperation anxiety. We leave him with a Kong (brand name) stuffed with food, treats, peanut butter. He doesn't cry when he has something to do. I guess the food is more important than us! Go figure!

24. outdoors2

outdoors2 New Member

Aug 4, 2007

New Puppy too

We also got a new puppy, she is 11 weeks old. When school starts full time , she will be 16 weeks. We have an older dog, we do not crate anymore. We will crate the puppy, for her safety. She has a little crate now and loves it! As she gets older, doesn't chew we will slowly let her have access to different parts of the house.
    Is there someone that can come and let her out in the middle of the day. We have lady in our neighborhood that does doggy daycare.
    Good Luck:rolleyes:

25. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Aug 5, 2007

our pom climbed the baby gates too, so we now put a cardboard table against the door and support it with a chair - works great!

26. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 5, 2007

We are so lucky our puppy is great he has excellent blatter control, never chews, and never barks. I am a wuss when it comes to crating we did it for the first night and that was it. Since then he has had free roam of the house and has not chewed anything!

27. Noel

Noel Companion

Aug 5, 2007

We got a Weimaraner puppy last January. We have always crated her when we leave her. (She is the type of dog who really doesn't mind....she lays in there whenever she wants to nap)

Lucky for me I have an Aunt who lives nearby who is a dog LOVER. She comes every day and takes Zoey out and plays with her for anywhere between a 1/2 hour and an hour. They both love it. My aunt recently lost her boxer of 5 years to cancer. So this was kind of like therapy for her.

It has worked out well for both of us and that is the plan that we will stick with when school starts!

28. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Aug 5, 2007

I'm facing the same situation. We have a cubby underneath the stairs that I cleaned out. I put her "cage" in there and I am going to put a baby gate up so she can't get out.

I'll leave the music on.:)

29. kinder4me

kinder4me Comrade

Aug 5, 2007

Summer is definitely the time to get a new puppy. We got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel and he is doing great house training, but I still plan on crating him when school starts back. He seems to love his crate, I leave the door open and he actually goes in it to take naps during the day. I know he will be fine and I want to keep him safe when I am not here (he likes to chew and would hate for him to get a hold of something that could hurt him). I plan on leaving either the TV or music on for him.:D

30. TXTeacher4

TXTeacher4 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

My aunt just got a job down the street from my house. AND... she has a new puppy too! We are going to crate them side by side so they will have each other for comfort and my aunt is going to let them out during her lunch break. I am so happy that it is falling into place.

31. Kteacher06

Kteacher06 Companion

Aug 6, 2007

For those of you with smaller breeds who are trying to find a space to keep them confined, you can purchase an X-pen with a cover. It's basically a gated space for a bed, toys, puppy pads, some room to roam, but your little climber won't get out because there is a top. Just do a search online for x-pens.

My 2 Italian Greyhounds are crated together during the day, but I'm getting a dog walker to take them out for 1 hour each day.

32. hbdb

hbdb Rookie

Aug 10, 2007

Yes, I crated my small dog, but left out my older one since I could trust her. I am lucky now that my husband works from home. I think it is best to crate them though for their safety. This way they won't eat anything they shouldn't. I have used a kong with peanut butter inside to help keep them busy, oh and I leave the tv on for them:)