leaving position

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by ksmomy, Jan 14, 2006.

1. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jan 14, 2006

On Friday I told my director I didn't feel well and left work early. I do not plan to return. This is very uncharacteristic for me. I have always given a notice. She knows my concerns and I think she suspects I won't return. From the time I started this job in September until now, I kept hoping it would get better but instead it got worse. The teachers in the other class talk to the kids so harshly that some of my kids are afraid to go through their room to the bathroom without me. The two rooms are very open and there is no door separating them. When one of my kids misbehaves, they make comments to the kids like, "If you were in my room you wouldn't act like that." They don't agree with positive discipline and helping the children develop communication skills, they just sit them in time out and tell them how bad they are. If they don't identify their alphabet flashcards corrrectly they are made to sit with them in front of them and lose their center time until they say them correctly. Some poor kids don't play very much. Their kids are very quiet and don't act out very much but it is out of fear not ability to control themselves. These kids are all 4. Well, the last straw was on Tuesday when I heard a child being spanked in the bathroom. My assistant also heard it. We discussed it. We then saw the teacher coming out of the bathroom with this child. I went to the director, the child was asked what happened, the child responded that the teacher "spanked me". My assistant however, denied hearing anything. The spanking teacher denied that she did it. Long story short, the teacher was written up (allowed to continue working) because there was no proof and it was my word against hers, (after being questioned a third time by the director with no witnesses the director "says" the child changed her story), and I did what I know was my legal and ethical responsibility. I worked for the rest of the week even though it was terribly hard because the three of them would hardly speak to me. This was my assistant's second week. When I went to tell the director I was leaving early, I found out that on Thursday my assistant had gone to her to complain about me. I don't know what the complaints were. I didn't have time to ask. I feel like I am deserting my children because I know they feel safe with me but, the current situation is making me physically sick. My question is, do I take in a resignation letter? Do I state the real reason for leaving in the letter or just make it short and sweet?

3. Lizalou222

Lizalou222 Rookie

Jan 14, 2006

You shouldn't feel guilty, but I can understand wholeheartedly why you would. I think you should go a step further and report the incident to the proper authorities. That kind of behavior is illegal and shouldn't occur.

4. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jan 14, 2006

Hi Lizalou,
    I did report the incident to the authorities and it will be investigated. I agree, that behavior shouldn't happen. It just makes me so sad that the children are being left in it.

5. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jan 14, 2006

Yes, I can understand your feeling devastated. You did the right thing to leave rather than be complicit in this behavior. Shame on all of them. I hope that your report was taken seriously and that the admin and teacher are all disciplined. The teacher should not be allowed to teach at all.

6. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2006

I'd certainly send letter of resignation and I'd definitely tell why you're leaving. What's happening in that place is just wrong. I'd even send a copy of that letter to the childcare licensing board (if you're in a childcare center) or the appropriate preschool licensing board if that's the better option. AND I'd put a cc at the bottom of the letter, so that the director knows that you did send that letter. It's not just the spanking (since that is going to always be disputed in a I said/she said way), but the lack of appropriate learning and the fearful way of discipline. I'd make sure you mention it all.

However, I also hope you don't NEED these people as a reference for a future job. Just walking off a job without notice is bound to get you a less than glowing reference.
    Kim

7. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jan 14, 2006

Thanks for the advice Kim. No, I don't need them for a reference. I have been in this field for a long time and I have other references. I am so thankful that this did not happen early in my career. My self esteem as a teacher would have been destroyed and I probably wouldn't have continued.

8. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jan 14, 2006

Good, I'm glad you don't. Because if this is the sort of learning environment that's encouraged there, that reference wouldn't mean much to other schools, anyway.
    Kim

9. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Jan 14, 2006

I agree with everyone -- report it. My biggest regret was leaving a child care position without reporting what was occurring there in another room. There was one teacher who took the shoes and socks of a misbehaving toddlers (1 and 2 year olds) and would hit them on the bottom of their feet -- no marks!:eek: I found this out and quit a few days later as I was told the director observed this and did nothing about it. This teacher had been there for about 3 years before I arrived, so I am quit sure that it has been occurring for a while

10. JenPooh

JenPooh Virtuoso

Jan 14, 2006

I remember you talking about this place and the things that go on there and I don't blame you one bit for leaving. I've had a few jobs like that myself and at one I walked out in my second week because I couldn't take the chaos and mismanagement.

I have also reported other centers I have worked at (two). One center even closed after so many people opened their mouths so I know from personal experience that saying something does matter and does work...even if it doesn't happen right away.

11. YAONE

YAONE New Member

Jan 14, 2006

I think you should report it, and submit your resignation letter. I don't know mention you had report them on the resignation letter is doing you any good or necessary.

12. AChancetoTeach

AChancetoTeach Comrade

Jan 14, 2006

Good Grief! I would almost want to write a letter to each child's parents (in your classroom) to tell them WHY you are leaving. Don't know if that is legal or not, but I know as a parent I would want to know!! I can't imagine any of those parents wanting to let their child stay in that situation.

13. Nanny

Nanny Rookie

Jan 14, 2006

I have a question. What are the consequences if you talk to the parent of the child that was being spanked? If you discuss this with the parent, maybe the child will tell them what happened and they could take it from there. If this doesn't work, definetely report it yourself to the proper authorities. You sound like you are a very caring and concerned teacher. which by the way we need more of, and you shouldn't be forced to quit. Sounds to me like the other teachers are in cohoots with one another.

14. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jan 15, 2006

The child who was spanked is in a foster care situation and unfortunately the teacher who did the spanking and the foster parent know each other. I'm not even sure what is happening to this child at home. I couldn't get the foster mom to participate in a home visit at the beginning of the year. Yes, the other teachers were in cohoots with each other. They all had the same mind set that these children only need firm discipline. They all felt that the child in my class who had been diagnosed with bi-polar disorder only needed a good spanking.
    Also, it is very tempting to inform my parents of exactly what is going on but I didn't feel that would be very professional. I really wish they would pay more attention but then again, these teachers are smart enough that they don't do most of these things if parents are around.

15. muchtosay

muchtosay Rookie

Jan 20, 2006

I think you made the right choice by leaving the situation and reporting the incident. Our laws are strict and spanking is not allowed under any circumstance, regardless of what a teacher's personal opinion of discipline is. It sounds like a very difficult situation. I can understand the feelings of wanting to tell the parents, yet I imagine the center would simply make you look bad to the parents if they were confronted on the issue. It is very sad for the kids that are in that situation. I am honestly shocked and saddened that daycare's like this exist. I have worked in many over the years and have seen inappropriate things, but never spanking.

16. Youngteacher226

Youngteacher226 Enthusiast

Jan 20, 2006

I have to say that I am almost in tears reading something like this that is going on in an environment that is supposed to be caring and loving towards children. The main reason why I chose to work with young children is because you can be gentle and affectionate towards younger children than you can with older children. I wanted to avoid the horror stories that I heard occurs in elementary schools, but I guess bad things happen everywhere!:( I know that if I was in your position, I would have left also. I myself walked out on a daycare job because the situation became too stressful and I didn't agree with the way the staff disciplined the children and talk to the children. So I just left! PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE keep in touch with the reporting agency that you contacted to make sure that they are on their job. I mean let's be honest, the authorities don't always follow through with what they are supposed to do. Hang in there, and pray for those children. :(

17. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 20, 2006

I think everyone agrees that you should leave this position. I also agree that you must report the situation to the oversite agency. But, I am most concerned about how you handle your resignation. I have left a position that I found disagreeable. Although I thought I had handled it fine, the center documented everything as my fault.

Give careful thought to the process and document everything.

Good luck.

18. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2006

If a teacher did something like that in our center, they would be fired on the spot...and rightly so. It sounds as though that whole place is corrupt and I hope it gets shut down.

19. Nanny

Nanny Rookie

Jan 20, 2006

I don't know about North Carolina, but here in Missouri foster parents aren't allowed to spank children. Maybe someone needs to check out the foster parent's home. Like Grammy Teacher said, if someone at our center were to spank a child they would be fired on the spot. I don't want anyone spanking my grandchildren and I am not going to spank someone elses child.

20. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2006

I agree...I would never want anyone to lay a hand on my little grandson...they would truly sorry if they did!!!

21. ksmomy

ksmomy Companion

Jan 21, 2006

Thank you all so much for your comments and advice. It always helps to have the opinions of others. I did leave the center and I reported the incident. The county I was working in is just too laid back for me. And yes, in a way this center is corrupt. I sent in my resignation and have since spoken with the director. She was very apologetic and said she was sorry everything worked out like it did (right) and that if there was anything she could do to help me she would be happy to. She also said if I changed my mind I could come back. Although I have no plans to ever go back there at least I didn't burn my bridges. I interviewed at a Primrose school on Friday and they asked me to come in and work as a sub on Monday in a classroom with another teacher to make sure I like the center and would be a good fit. I was referred by a former co-worker who already works there and loves it. It seems to be a professional yet friendly atmosphere and I am praying that this will be a place I can be happy and stay put for a long time. Thanks again!:)

22. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 21, 2006

Glad you found a better place to work. I hope it works out well for you.