Leaving my IA job...

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissWull, Nov 24, 2008.

1. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 24, 2008

I've thought long and hard about it, and I hate quitting at anything I start...but I'm going to have to throw in the towel for this Instructional Assistant position that I took on in October.

The same week I started the IA job (3 hours/4 days a week) my PT job that I have been at for 3 years asked me if I would like a FT position. Of course I said yes, because this increases my income by half! Anyway, I wake up at 6 and have to be to the IA job by 8...leave there by 11:15 to be at my FT job by 12! Then I don't get off til 8pm...get home at 9pm and eat and then just go to bed. Four days a week...my life is crazy and I feel like I'm on the go go go constantly. It's really starting to stress me out.

So I made the decision last week, after talking it over with husband and a good friend of mine that is a teacher...and decided that I'm draining myself and it could quite possibly be for nothing. The school I'm an IA at is very small...and I know anything is possible, but none of the teachers are planning on leaving with this economy. So what I'm telling myself is that I'll put my all (again) into finding a teaching job this upcoming spring.

Buuuuut...is that even what I should really do? Getting into teaching right now is really starting to scare me. It's already hard enough to get tenured at a school...but I think it's 10 times harder in these rough times that we're facing. I continue to look for teaching jobs and I will...but I really feel like I should just stick to my FT job because it is stable, supports my husband and I...and I have seniority in my department.

I know I've already made my decision, but what do you guys think?

3. SuperSide

SuperSide Rookie

Nov 24, 2008

What is your full-time job? Is it valuable experience wise?

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Nov 25, 2008

MissWull-Only you know what is best for you and your husband, and it sounds like you made the same decision I would have made as well. No admin is going to fault you for leaving a job for more money and with less stress.

5. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 25, 2008

If you are that burnt out now, just think what it will be like at the end of the year. I agree that there are no guarantees for you. I worked super long hours this summer and it seems like everything in my life suffered b/c of it. Neither job was particularily stressful either.

6. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 29, 2008

Thanks for the insight you two. I just feel like I've put in a lot of effort this past year with no sense or feel of getting ahead. Now that we're ok financially, I feel like I shouldn't have to burn myself out to try and get ahead. If something in teaching comes up this year or in two years...that's okay with me. It's taken me a long time to be ok with that.

My FT job is working at a library at a college. It's still in education and I love it. The staff is great, the atmosphere is terrific. But in order to move up (in that dept.) I would have to become a librarian. That idea has actually started to grow on me but I think I'd rather be a librarian at a middle school or high school level. Although that would require me to clear my credential first, then get my librarian credential.

With all that is going on in the world...all the stresses, I feel as though I'm purposely bringing this IA position stress on me--and if I don't need it, why do it. Without that position...ya our extra money (the little it brings) isn't there, but I could possibly get that subbing here and there. The main thing is, I'm just not happy with stretching myself and my time to the limits.

Question-So this week...on Thursday, I plan on going into the office and talking with the principal. Which brings up another point...the principals office door is always open and a secretary sits within earshot of there. I mean, I know they will know eventually but I'd rather this moment be private. I was thinking of sending the principal an email the day before asking if she could meet me in my classroom during a break period. Is that ok, or should I just do it in her office?
    --Ugh, I hate quitting a job because I hate quitting at anything, but I also hate having to tell the person in charge--I feel like I'm letting them down.

Thanks for the advice girls! :)

7. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 29, 2008

Just remember that the most important reason you work anywhere is for your own needs. I don't blame you a bit for not wanting to wear yourself out if you don't need to. The principal will understand. Make sure and let her know that you are open to the possibility of a future full-time position.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Nov 29, 2008

Well how wierd will it be to ask her to come to your room? If it doesn't seem weird to you then just do that.

I am in the same situation at my work- as far as open door principal and bad location. It is really easy to hear what is going on if the front office area is quiet.

Do you think she will tell the secretary as soon as she returns to her office anyway?

9. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Nov 30, 2008

Well...I'm sure she will tell the secretary eventually. Afterall, that main secretary was the one who got me going with a key, mailbox, supplies, timesheets, etc. So I'm sure she'll need to re-collect that stuff and stop the timesheets. But, I don't think the principal will need to go into detail about why I'm leaving with her. IMO it's between the principal and I...if she does go into detail that's her deal, but I'd rather be more private about initially telling the principal.

I just plan on telling her what I told you guys here, the truth! I was offered full-time at my other job and accepted that position when I started here. I would love to continue employment here but it isn't possible with just a part-time position. I would love to be considered for any full-time teaching positions that may come up. But at the moment I need to settle down with one job until I get my dream job as a teacher.

10. MissWull

MissWull Cohort

Dec 1, 2008

Update

I did it! I went in her office today right when I got in and let the principal know how much I appreciated her kindness, the help of the staff, etc...but I told her my reasons and she agreed with me. I told her I would love to sub in the district and she said that would be great and she thinks the teachers would request me if they knew I was subbing. She said everyone said I was doing really well with the students and they enjoyed working with me! :) I had to type up a letter of resignation and I will give it to her tomorrow. I'll definitely miss some students, and the friendly staff...but I will at least be sane and wake up with enough energy to get through the day! :) WHEW!

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 2, 2008

That's great, MissWull, and I'm glad to hear the principal was so understanding.