Leaving mid-year?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Preschool0929, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jan 13, 2016

I'm currently on maternity leave and have 3 weeks left. My husband was offered an interview in a city about 2 hours away for a new job and went today. Apparently it went well and now we're trying to figure out if we should move with a 5 week old baby and in the middle of the school year. I teach self contained spec Ed and my class is....intense. I've already had a para get a tooth knocked out while I've been gone. I know my principal and spec Ed director would not be happy if I left, and would have a hard time finding someone to sub the rest of the year because of the intensity of the behaviors. However, I also don't want my husband to move without me and be alone with our newborn for the last few months of school. Would your admin release a teacher from contract mid-year? Should I try to just make it work until the end of the year?

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jan 13, 2016

An administrator would have to be a real jerk to not release a teacher from contract due to a spousal job transfer.

If I were in your position and didn't mind leaving mid-year, I'd leave mid-year. Future employers should be understanding enough about a spousal job transfer, so I don't think leaving mid-year would hold you back when it comes to getting another job later. New babies are a lot of work (are you a first-time mom?), so any support you can maintain is important. I wouldn't want to be learning a new baby all on my own for months, and I wouldn't want my new baby to be away from Dad for an extended period of time if there were any reasonable alternative.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jan 13, 2016

Is there a way you could split the difference and find a temporary home an hour between your jobs? Perhaps a simple one-bedroom apartment with a short lease?

5. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Jan 13, 2016

I would leave midyear, but I would also consider the job market in your area where you are going. I'd imagine self contained sped is a bit of an easier area to find a job in, and if it's in a city, there will be more opportunities than in a rural area.

6. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jan 13, 2016

Put your family first. Moving because of a spouse changing jobs is a perfectly acceptable reason to leave during a year. Will you be able to live on one salary for a while until you find something?

DizneeTeachR likes this.
  7. a7410333

a7410333 Rookie

Jan 13, 2016

You should always look after yourself and your family first. I think spousal job transfer is a decent reason to leave.

8. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jan 13, 2016

I wouldn't want to be without hubby (& he doesn't want to be without you or new baby...he doesn't want to miss anything either).

9. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jan 15, 2016

I'd leave mid-year & not feel guilty about it one bit. Family, health, well-being issues still come first before ANY job. Hopefully, your spouses's new job pays well enough for you to not have to return to work at all...well, at least until your baby starts school.

10. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jan 17, 2016

We have a teacher who had her 1st baby 6 weeks ago. She has made the decision to stay home for the remainder of the year. She may come back in the fall, if there's a position for her. She has our principal's blessings.

11. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jan 18, 2016

New baby AND husband's job transfer? Any decent admin would be understanding and let you go!