Leaving Mid-Year...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by cartwheels, Dec 8, 2014.

1. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Dec 8, 2014

Long story short, I LOVE the kids I work with, but I don't love my school. It's very focused on test scores and offers only two electives, one of which is PE. (This is a high school!) Extracurricular activities are few and far between. We boast about being college prep, yet we hold the students' hands the entire way and don't truly prepare them for college at all.

Despite that, I'm relatively happy for the time being. My students are great. I love the classes I teach. However, not even looking for a new job, I stumbled upon openings at a dream school near home. My commute would be cut down by 30mn each way. Their educational philosophies match up with mine. I applied on a whim, as I was already in the system. I was contacted for an interview with the AP less than 24 hours later. I'm usually a nervous mess in interviews, but it went really well. Now, I'm going in to meet the principal tomorrow, and I think it's likely that I will be offered a position.

I think I NEED to take it. Everything has just serendipitously fallen into place, and I feel like this is where I'm really meant to be. But, at the same time, I feel awful. I care about my students so much, and I'm worried they will be stuck with subs and mediocre teaching if I leave. How do I tell my current P and department chair? My colleagues will certainly look down their noses at me for leaving for a "better" school. It's at-will employment, though, so I can technically quit for any reason at any time.

I'm not even totally sure why I'm posting this. Has anyone here left mid-year for a different job? Was it worth it? I know what I WANT to do, but I feel really guilty for it. Words of wisdom would be appreciated.

3. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Rookie

Dec 8, 2014

It's expected nowadays that people in various professions will take new opportunities for career growth, so there's no reason to feel guilty about making such a decision. If it's the right decision for you, then go and be happy!

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2014

This may be true in other professions and in non-contracted teaching positions, but it doesn't really apply to contracted teaching positions.

5. bekkilyn

bekkilyn Rookie

Dec 8, 2014

True, but s/he said it was "at will employment" and that s/he could leave at any time. If that's not actually the case though, then I agree s/he would need to make sure that leaving wouldn't break any contracts.

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2014

Ah, you're right. I missed that. Carry on! :haha:

7. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2014

You might want to tell the new school that you are currently on contract, then offer to your current P to stay on until they can find a new hire, up to a certain date.

8. SandyCastles

SandyCastles Companion

Dec 9, 2014

I had to do this just this year. I applied to my new position (still in a school but with a significant raise) back in February, but was not called until after school started due to the circumstances of the job. When I was offered the job, I told my school immediately and had to give 30 days notice. I am in NC though, so that is okay here. It is also something that they see a lot of with the teacher turn over here and have the mid-year leaving process set in place in most counties. My kids still don't have a new teacher unfortunately and have had subs and I feel badly about that. But, from a personal perspective, I just couldn't turn down this new opportunity. I knew I probably wouldn't have the chance again.

Take some time to think about it, but in the end, you have to do what is the best for you and work where you will be happy.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2014

You are 'at will'. At the most I'd give them until holiday break although you aren't required to give any time.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Dec 9, 2014

I'm a strong believer that you are meant to follow a certain path in life and you will know when you need to take things in a different direction.

This appears to be one of those "path changers". Good luck with the new job!

11. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Dec 9, 2014

What a good opportunity. You have to do what is best for yourself.

12. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Dec 9, 2014

Well, I got the job! Now I'm just sick about giving two weeks notice tomorrow...

Thank you to everyone who gave advice. Hopefully I'm making the right choice!

13. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 9, 2014

I got my current job in a similar situation. Even though I'm now ready to leave this job, I still look back on it 3 years later and know that I made the right decision for me. My principal wasn't happy, but she got through it, as did the kids. You have to do what is right for you regardless. Congratulations, and good luck with the giving notice!

14. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Dec 9, 2014

This is a good move for you, so enjoy that you were accepted for the job. I'm sure your current school would want to have a teacher in place that fully supports its mission and since it doesn't fit your way of teaching, then I'm sure they can find another teacher to take your place.

GOOD LUCK TO YOU!

15. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Dec 9, 2014

Congrats on the job!!

16. katfzl

katfzl Rookie

Dec 11, 2014

did they call your current principal for a reference?
    I am in similar situation.

17. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Dec 11, 2014

Professional courtesy says to give a 2 week notice. I've always worked 'at will', it is expected to give a 2 week notice. Sorry, a sore spot today. We hired a new teacher a couple of months ago, she was asked by the P a month ago if she was job hunting, she told him no. Today she came in & said that tomorrow is her last day. Her reason? Her new school wants her to start Monday. Very unprofessional.

18. cartwheels

cartwheels Rookie

Dec 12, 2014

No - they didn't ask for letters of rec, nor did they call. However, you have to have strong administrator ratings to get past the district's screening process (which I had done last spring), so that might be why.