Leaving Mid Year- When do you tell the kids?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by qwerty-, Dec 9, 2015.

1. qwerty-

qwerty- Rookie

Dec 9, 2015

I am curious as to what the consensus is for what the time line is for telling students that I am not returning for the spring semester....HS kids by the way.

We have our last day of school on the 18th.

Any thoughts would be great....I absolutely love my kids. The opportunity I took is considerable pay raise and in a location I greatly wish to relocate to.

3. bella84

bella84 Aficionado

Dec 9, 2015

I was teaching third grade, so maybe different than with high school, but I told mine on a Friday when the following Tuesday would be my last day.

otterpop likes this.
  4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2015

I would wait until a couple of days before your last day, perhaps even later if you think that your announcement may lead to behavior problems.

5. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 10, 2015

As little time as necessary, just before others share the news unintentionally. If you can figure that out, bottle it and sell it. Good luck.

6. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Dec 10, 2015

I'd say Wed., the 16th.

7. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Dec 11, 2015

I'd say 2-5 days before you leave.

8. showmelady

showmelady Companion

Dec 13, 2015

I think it would depend on your relationship with the students.

I mean, if you are really happy with them and they with you, and if you think you will be missed, then maybe several days before you leave. On the other hand if you are in a position where you have many issues with the students and even maybe with your school, perhaps you should not say anything at all.

I work as a sub, and recently filled in for a class where the teacher left in the middle of the term. She did not say anything to the kids, just left. I am not sure of the circumstances. But by the third day the students were getting really worried about their teacher, and I asked the office to at least give the students some idea about the teacher, maybe letting them understand that she did not just dislike them!

Of course, this was elementary grade, but the students were really stressed about this. So, I think maybe it really depends on how your students feel about you, o decide what you should say, and when.

9. otterpop

otterpop Phenom

Dec 13, 2015

I'd probably tell kids the day before my last day.

10. Letsgo

Letsgo Rookie

Dec 14, 2015

We had a teacher leave mid year. He told the principal Monday, the kids Wednesday, and Friday was his last day. He told the kids that he left because he their behavior was so bad. It was unfortunate because overall, student behavior at our school is pretty good.

11. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Dec 14, 2015

Sad, but maybe true. Doesn't mean that the disconnect belonged on one person's or groups shoulders in any event. I don't think I could blame kids and then walk away. Hence, tell them the least amount of time that will have you searching for a reason for the vacancy. There is notihng to be gained by blaming the kids - you know there has to be a class management issue that goes with that, so why place the blame on anyone?

Last edited: Dec 14, 2015