Leaving in the middle of the school year?

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Leikela, May 1, 2008.

1. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 1, 2008

This is my second year teaching and I really want to quit. I work in an inner city and I cannot take it anymore. Everything is going to hell in a hand basket in my school and I cannot get the support I need as a new teacher.

Is there a stigma attached to a teacher that leaves towards the end of the year? Do other adminstrators look down on this and would it perhaps prevent me from obtaining another job as a teacher?

Just curious. I'm not going to leave, I am going to stick it out, but I want to know everyone's thoughts on this anyway. Thanks for any help!!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 1, 2008

Yes, there is a stigma. In some places, the district or state can even go so far as to blacklist you (officially or otherwise) or put some sort of hold on your teaching license, effectively preventing you from obtaining a teaching position anywhere in the district or state for some specified time period (or forever).

Leaving mid-year when you have signed a contract agreeing to the whole year is a bad idea.

Of course, there are certain extenuating circumstances, and certainly future administrators should be able to take those into consideration. Those sorts of situations might be a spouse being transferred for a job, a medical situation, etc. Administrators generally don't look kindly upon teachers who just chose to leave a job because it was hard.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 1, 2008

I'm glad to hear that you aren't leaving. Its one thing to quit in December, but to quit in May with so few weeks of school left? I agree with Cassie, in that in some states, you could get your license revoked, or principal's can blacklist you which would make it difficult to find a teaching job later on.

Just start counting the days until summer break, you can get through it!

5. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 1, 2008

Thank you for all the replies. I know I can definitely tough it out. The job is not just "hard", actually the teaching part is challenging but not "hard". What is hard is the environment. It is an inner city. There are shootings on our school's street, people have been killed this year on adjacent streets near the school, and the kids in the school are out of control. It is mind blowing some of the stuff that I see. Thank God I have my class under control or I would definitely have to leave for my own safety.

Just the other day outside my classroom at another class, a mother came and pulled her daughter out of class. She proceeded to beat her with a belt. The girl dropped to the floor and was screaming bloody murder. This is a 3rd grader too. Earlier in the week this girl had gotten into a fight with another girl and they were bloodied and battered from punching and scratching at one another. It is not a pretty scene there.

3 teachers have resigned in the middle of the school year so far this year. That's the main reason why I'm asking this question. I can tough it out and I feel as though it would not be fair to my students. I do have a good class.

Thanks again for your input and for letting me vent!

6. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

May 1, 2008

Oh geez, I knew the things like this did occur in schools, but just to hear it its really heart breaking. I would suggest that you stick it out, but find a new job ASAP. I know the students would be without a wonderful teacher like yourself, but I know personally it would be too much for me as a teacher to go through every day.

7. Teacher_Man

Teacher_Man Rookie

May 2, 2008

Your schools pretty similar to mine. I teach in South LA, in what was formerly known as South Central LA. What makes it even tougher is that my school is adjacent to housing projects, which means most of the kids feed in from there. It's not that they're bad kids or bad people, but because the area is so poverty-stricken, families have different priorities, and sometimes education isn't one of them. We've had drive-bys blocks aways from our school, and on my student's fathers was killed earlier this year in one. I have many students whose parents are either dead, in prison, or just plain gone. Sometimes the environment get me so depressed I just want to cry...

And yes, I also thought about quitting earlier this year, but didn't for the same reasons you mentioned. But with the year almost over, I'm actually looking forward to next year. I think I'll be getting a better class next year, and hopefully I'll have learned from my mistakes this year. Hang in there, you can make it too...

8. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

May 2, 2008

We know this stuff occurs in schools, but to "know" someone who sees this kind of stuff everyday is heartbreaking, like BioAngel said.

I would start applying to other schools like, yesterday! You have experience under your belt now, and in a rough environment so that should help set you apart.

9. MissFrizzle

MissFrizzle Virtuoso

May 2, 2008

You'r e class is lucky to have you. No one should have to work under these awful, heartbreaking conditions and I know very few people that could. Just know that there are better places out there, unfortunately I think they are hard to get into but after reading what happens by you... Can you blame teachers in good schools for not wanting to leave?

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

May 4, 2008

I'm glad you are staying at your school, at least for the rest of the year. I'm sure in rough neighborhoods like the one your school is in, your kids need you more than you know.

11. Leikela

Leikela Companion

May 4, 2008

Thank you for all the replies! Teacher_man, it's nice to know that you can relate with me. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I will make it through the rest of the school year. Thanks again to everyone for the kind words.

12. pondman

pondman Rookie

May 10, 2008

I was one of the few white student bused by LAUSD into South LA in the mid-seventies. It was an experimental, dry test run, which later was ruled to be unconstitutional. I was assaulted by six student on the first day, within 30 second and within 2o feet of the bus, while the principal stood and watched. After awhile, I learned to survive, what stairways to climb, what toilets to use with dying. There wasn't any learning going on-- but I did learn social skills and actually developed friendships with students who were very different from me. And after awhile, I did develop a strange need or want for this chaotic place. I think it made me a better human.

I will tell you something, If you can reach these kids, you'll be able to go any place and call yourself a teacher. If they had a program for me to teach in LA, I'd go there in a heart beat.

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

May 12, 2008

I worked at a really, really rough school in San Francisco this year. I actually did leave for safety reasons. We had students bringing guns to school and the principal was not even suspending them. They put cleaning solution in our coffee, got into fist fights in the classroom, let off stink bombs (we had four classrooms-where are you going to go when your school smells like sulfur?)-it was terrible. The principal was split between our school and the elementary building half a mile away-I think he was there maybe one day every two weeks. No authority figures, all new, female teachers- it was terrible. My parents called every night to check on me, and it was affecting my marriage. I finally just had to leave. I hope to find something this fall in a private school, and none of the principals have acted like it was a problem that I left-I think they understand. I HOPE they understand. I'm glad that your situation is one where you can stick it out-I'd rather be teaching now, but it was just too awful for me to stay.