Leaving for Nevada today

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by wldywall, Aug 17, 2014.

1. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2014

Many more pics when we get to our stop for the night. Just a quick stop for dinner

2. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 18, 2014

We have arrived at a hotel for the night in Colorado, of course it is our fourth hotel.....all the others were full. :|:(

So far we love Colorado, there are hardly any trees!

[​IMG]

Shortly after this we ran into the second of three bad storms, one we missed by getting gas and waiting it out, one we had to go right through and the other one was to the north. It poured while the sun was shining!
    [​IMG]

We then saw two rainbows, one to the side and one behind us.

[​IMG]

My son has decided that so far Colorado has made the entire trip worth it. Since he slept through all of Iowa, most of Nebraska....well, he wouldn't know, would he? :p

My husband has long accused me of driving my bug like Mario Andretti, so when I saw this

[​IMG]

I HAD TO pass the guy! He wasn't impressed and quickly passed me again!

So tomorrow we are going to push all the way through to Vegas, I already have a hotel there booked and I don't want to lose out on the great rate I got!

Good night all, more adventures from the road tomorrow!

3. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 18, 2014

Awesome update! Love the rainbow!

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 19, 2014

Sounds like you've experienced a couple of what are evocatively called "cloudbursts", wldy - and, judging from the national weather map at http://www.wpc.ncep.noaa.gov/national_forecast/natfcst.php?day=2, you can count on a few more tomorrow, though the area that's predicted to be at risk of flash flooding will have moved east and south of where you're going.

Waiting out the worst of of a cloudburst is very wise: driving when you can barely see the road surface for the rain is challenging, even if it doesn't last very long. The interstates are doubtless routed to avoid the worst of the danger from being downstream of a cloudburst you can't see - but let me recommend paying attention to whatever road-conditions reports you can find on the radio or on the Web.

5. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

Thanks for that info, that is really helpful. A man in the other side of the highway flipped and nearly landed on our side, just a bit a head of us. I wanted to stop, but that is when I realized the right lane was flooded and my car was acting water logged, so I went to the left lane, slowed right down and kept going. There was NO place on the left side to pull over safely. Caused me a bit of a panic! Felt horrible about not stopping to help the poor guy though,......he did get help from several locals who had stopped,

6. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 19, 2014

Did not make it to Nevada today. I spent four more hours than planned in Colorado, the road works there were horrible!

I am in pain, exhausted, absolutely tired of driving and stopped for the night in Beaver Utah......and out $50 on the hotel in Vegas, $25 for the night, $25 for having to change my reservation. NEVER doing that again.

I'm off to ice my knee, which is very unhappy from driving my manual up and down mountains all day and sleep.....

7. texashistory

texashistory Rookie

Aug 19, 2014

It's crazy it's just been a week! I can't imagine packing up everything and moving so fast.

It's exciting though.

Good luck in NV!

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 20, 2014

Yeah and I'm freaking out since they told me my contract was being written and it was time to head out....and now I haven't heard anything since Saturday. All I can think about is what if I did all this to find out I have no job? This is what only having a week does to my brain....No time for it to sink in.

9. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 20, 2014

Sorry to hear that it's been a day of delays and lost $$$.

I'm sure it'll be fine and when you get there tomorrow I would contact the school or HR and see what's up with your contract. I know how stressful it is when communication hasn't been made so close to school starting.

10. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

Here's hoping to a great day in Nevada today!

11. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 20, 2014

I love this day by day ''adventure'' thread...I look forward to it :)

Can't wait to read how it all works out for you!

12. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

Last update from the road!

Lesson learned in Colorado:

All roads must be repaired at the same time, in addition those that live in the state expect you to drive 80 in a 35 zone, even with workers present.

Highway workers have a memorial. In a beautiful place called No Name......which is just odd

Driving 1-70 in Colorado takes a level of attention to detail that I wasn't prepared to give, it was the most technical driving I have ever done! That includes getting my drivers licence in Germany, when I didn't speak German!

Things learned in Utah:

Utah has a wonderful effect on my car, my air conditioner worked for the first time since I bought it three years ago, and promptly stopped working conveniently ten miles from Arizona.

You pee on Utah's schedule, not your own.

You may be in the middle of nowhere, with no services for the next 109 miles, but your cell phone will work :confused:

There is a place called Goblin Valley and Black Dragon Canyon, both very beautiful. I however saw no Goblins, nor any dragons. I believe there are no native Dragon species in America. I plan on checking my copy of Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. :p

Utah is MUCH bigger than it appears, especially when you drive almost all the way across and then take a left turn heading south.

Lessons learned in Arizona:

There is more to Arizona than the Grand Canyon!

Virgin River Canyon is fantastic and it's really hard to drive that road, it was awe inspiring beautiful

Lessons learned in Nevada:

Clark County is MASSIVE!

The desert is huge!

The strip is distracting.....so many pretty lights. Must be a nightmare for those with ADHD like my boys.

Walmart and the Airport practically share the same parking lot. :confused:

Here are some pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG] The Colorado River

[​IMG]

[​IMG] No Name Canyon

[​IMG] (pretend the windshield didn't crack)

And of course, VEGAS

[​IMG]

Thank you for playing along.....remind me to never drive 2000 miles again

PallasAthena likes this.
  13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2014

(Arizona?? Oh, right: I'd forgotten about that little corner that I-15 snips off... )

14. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2014

Too bad you didn't have more time- you could have made meet and greets with A-Z members along your way! I can only imagine what the bigger states feel like when you drive through. While in NC I dreaded Ohio. Half of my drive was in Ohio. :tired:

Glad you finally made it!!!

15. Bunnie

Bunnie Devotee

Aug 21, 2014

Gorgeous pictures! Love it.

I totally hear what you mean about long states. I've driven to Ohio and Michigan (as a passenger) and Pennsylvania is the longest state to drive through! It's definitely half the trip!

I've also driven 8 hours from downstate NY to western NY that was 8 hours alone in the same state.

16. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2014

Tennessee long east west, Georgia & Indiana...soooooo looong!!!!

17. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Aug 21, 2014

Glad you made it!!! And thank you for keeping us in the loop of your adventure through pictures!! Love the commentary! I am not one for long road trips unless I have great company and great music!

18. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 21, 2014

(Try California, from northern border to southern border.)

19. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

Ugh, Michigan from the Indiana border to the UP is bad enough!

It all looks the same!

20. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 21, 2014

Most people don't have a reason to drive through Michigan. Peninsulas are tricky like that! Because no one drives through, people don't realize how big it is! My grandpa's family is from the UP and it takes over 8 hours to get there. If you started at the Ohio border, it would be about 10 hours.

21. ECE ABC

ECE ABC Comrade

Aug 21, 2014

Love the photos:)

I have never been to the other side of the country..lol..except for two weeks in California 15 years ago, which was fun!!!!

I am an East Coast gal from CT! I have regularly been to New York and New Jersey growing up and visited few times over the years; Rhode Island, Massachusetts, Maine, etc.

22. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Aug 21, 2014

Glad to see this thread a little more supportive of the move. Love the pictures.

23. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 21, 2014

Thanks for that. I did try to keep it light hearted and goofy, because guess what? Driving that much over that many days made me a weeeeee bit nuts...... or a lot. :D

24. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2014

I hear you, wldy: the brain goes numb at about the same rate as the, um, Sitzfleisch.

25. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2014

Now I speak a touch of German and I'm not sure I recognize that word......:lol: :p

26. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2014

Butt-ering me up, are you?

27. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2014

Oh I get it! A German pun......and here you thought you could pull one over on me! I'm too smart for that!

:whistle::lol::lol::lol::whistle:

By the way, the hinny wasn't the problem, my feet on the other hand........they were killing me!

28. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Aug 22, 2014

German, yes. Pun, no, actually; I was seized by an unaccountable desire to talk dainty. (Someone got a thermometer?) Glad you enjoyed it, though.

Drives like that are the reason that cruise control was invented, I'm quite sure. I've been known to plant my left foot on or near the dashboard just to give it a little relief.

29. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2014

Yes I have cruise, but I also have a manual......so cruise was off for most of the mountain bits so I could control my decent......my little yellow bug likes to pick up speed :)

30. Tutor

Tutor Comrade

Aug 22, 2014

Love the last post wldywall and glad you made it safely. Can't wait to hear about the next part of your adventure.