Leaving education, then returning to it--does it automatically look bad?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by 3littlemonkeys, Jul 15, 2012.

1. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 15, 2012

Getting ready for a job fair on Tuesday and wondering if bringing my A-game is going to be enough...

I taught at a private school in CA for five years. I left that job to relocate here to TX--had to do so mid-year (financial reasons) so I did not have the ability to immediately enter teaching out here. I got a job in a different field, which I've enjoyed, but of course teaching was always where I wanted to be and now that I'm certified in this state, I want to get back to teaching. I've only been away for one school year (and the tail end of the previous one)...is that automatically going to look bad? Am I going to be ahead of the recent local grads due to my teaching experience, or is that all out the window now because I left the field?

3. JamieB11

JamieB11 Companion

Jul 15, 2012

I think if you explain to them what you've said here, they will understand that. Things happen. I think your 5 years of experience will definitely help you.

4. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2012

I think you'll be fine. I left for two years and came back without any issues :)

5. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jul 16, 2012

Your explanation sounds perfectly reasonable, and I think they'll understand. Just tell them what happened! :)

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

Everyone know how rough the job market is, and understands the need to put food on the table.

Life doesn't always follow that straight path you imagine it will as a child.

Don't sweat it. Where you've come from isn't nearly as important as who you are. They're looking for a great teacher; prove to them that you're that teacher.

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

Principals understand that sometimes teachers can't help that they are out of the classroom. Just be ready to explain why.

8. 3littlemonkeys

3littlemonkeys Comrade

Jul 16, 2012

Thank you!

9. Rainbowbird

Rainbowbird Groupie

Jul 16, 2012

No. You can explain it. And if you have a reference from an employer in the non-education job, so much the better. I left teaching for 5 years to follow other interests. Those years were vital to my development as a 20-something. I entered teaching again afterwards with no problems. I did have a reference from my former superintendent that I am sure helped to dismiss any fears that I was non-renewed etc.

I am now re-entering teaching AGAIN after staying home to raise my children. It is much harder this time around, even with my added experience and references, because of the economy.

If you demonstrate why you're a great teacher and employee, you should not be at any disadvantage. Good luck!

10. elateacher4life

elateacher4life Cohort

Jul 16, 2012

I left teaching for 8 years to stay at home with my children, and I was still able to find a job in education twice. I just had to explain the gaps in my employment history.

11. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jul 16, 2012

I agree that this can easily be explained.