Leaving childcare for good

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Missus James, Sep 3, 2013.

1. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Sep 3, 2013

I've been in child care for over six years. I had my all of my DCF hours, I had a staff credential, I had a Director's credential with a VPK endorsement, and I was up-to-date with all of my yearly inservice hours. I have an A.S. degree in Early Childhood and I am very close to finishing my B.S. in Early Childhood Education. With that being said, I have finally lost my love for child care. The politics, the backstabbing, the lies, and the gossiping have finally gotten the best to me. Here is my farewell rant.

Here is for my ex-bosses: I am not a warm body in a classroom to meet ratio. I am not a thing to be tossed around because you want to get NAEYC-accredited and my degree to will you there. I will not be your director doing your responsibilities for non-director pay while you are getting your nails done (frequently and often). I will not takeover your center as a director because you prematurely opened up another center especially since you can't run your first center and you refuse to allow me to make improvements. No, I will not wait another week for my check because something happened on your end. I am sorry that I am not your favorite employee, but I don't deserve to be treated like trash. And thank you for texting things about me in front of me to the assistant director and denying it to my face when I call you out on it.

If I tell you something personal and important, you SHOULD NOT go to the assistant director (the center gossip) and tell her, so she can tell the whole world and a few parents. Stop enrolling children into the center when you know you've met the center's capacity and so we are all at risk and over-ratio. Stop shoving your nieces and nephews into my room when I am teaching VPK because you don't want to deal with them. Stop shoving my afternoon VPK children into my morning VPK class because their parents dropped them off an hour early and you just couldn't refuse them.

Speaking of which, your child is spoiled. He is in my VPK class and yet you allow him to play and go outside in the younger classrooms because he only wants to play and doesn't like doing educational activities. No eating is allowed in the classroom by your rule and yet you go to McDonald's and get your child a happy meal for him to eat in the classroom. In which he wants to play with the happy meal toys instead of doing centers or being at the teaching table with me. If he is in my afternoon VPK class then he needs to stay for instructional time. No, he may not go into a younger class and take a nap because he is sleepy every single day and yet you make him off as present for the VPK attendance sheet.

Here is for the ex-parents:No, I will not wipe your almost five-year-old child's behind because you haven't taught them how do it properly yet. No, I will not stick my finger into your child's nose with a tissue to clean his nose out properly. If you don't want him to ruin his clothes or shoes, SEND HIM TO SCHOOL WITH CLOTHES THAT YOU DON'T MIND HE'LL RUIN WITH PAINT OR MARKERS. So, no I will not change his clothes. No, I will not change his new sneakers with a different pair for outside time and then change them back when he is inside.

If your child keeps losing expensive jewelry at school, stop putting it on them. Yes, that headband is very cute, but it hurts your child's head and she keeps taking it off. I am not going to keep fixing her hair. Speaking of which, I get that you are in a hurry in the morning, but stop giving me a brush, a comb, and some hair supplies to do your kid's hair. And don't you dare tell me again what kind of hair style YOU want me to give her and pout when I don't do it that exact way.

If your child has behavior problems and is violent towards other children and I tell you that he decided to take a block and hit a child in the head repeatedly, don't take him to Chuck E. Cheese or take him to Toys R Us to get a toy. If I am 21 years old and I go to bed at eleven o'clock max on weekdays then your four year old child definitely should not be going to bed at 2 or 3am because you let him stay up watching TV. Yes, the center does have a late fee and no my director chooses not to enforce it. However, that does not mean you should come to the center fifteen to thirty minutes late every single day to pick up your child. On that note, the center opens up at 6am. If you see me there and it's 5:40, do not put in your access code and leave your child at in the front lobby because you don't want me to turn you away.

To my ex-coworkers: I am done of you taking advantage of me. No, I will not plan out your lessons for your class and do your job. No, I will not take your problem children into my class and deal with them for the rest of the day because you will then threaten to leave work because of an awful headache if they come back into the classroom. And it absolutely sucks that the director will let you leave because you are her special snowflake. If I am suppose to be the director in charge (on paper) when the director is off doing things, why am I suppose to take orders from you (by director's order)? Stop letting that get to your head. You are a preschool teacher, stop acting like a preschooler.

I've been in child care longer than you and I know how to handle children. You've only been in child care two years and you struggle with your children every single day and send them into my classroom for redirection and correction. You don't even try and you get extra class support with volunteers and two assistant teachers every single day. I don't get any of that and I am in a room by myself. Just because you took a special 2-hour inservice training about addressing child behaviors does not mean you know better than me and the expert at all things children. Stop coming in late every single day by twenty or thirty minutes. You know my VPK morning class starts at 8:30 and yet I am still in your classroom with my children and your children waiting for you to get here, wasting critical instruction time.

Good luck to all of you who have the strength to remain and positively impact the lives of the young children and families in your care. I admire you greatly! I pray that being a preschool teacher is nothing like being an elementary school teacher.

3. RadiantBerg

RadiantBerg Cohort

Sep 3, 2013

Eek--are you gonna actually send that?

4. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Sep 3, 2013

Oh, god no, LOL. I just wanted to get this off of my chest once and for all. I don't plan on sending this to anyone.

5. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Sep 3, 2013

Oh my! I promise that teaching in a school is worlds away from daycare (most of the time). I worked at a daycare for 3 years through college and it was awful and I can relate to most everything you said. I now have a masters and teach preschool in an elementary school and its a completely different professional environment. Good luck!

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 3, 2013

So what's next for you?

7. preteach

preteach Rookie

Sep 3, 2013

I totally get where you are coming from and appauled you for recognizing it is time to make a change. But I feel for you.....makes me sad that the way we are treated can suck the life right out of us.

preschool0929 That is my goal eventually :)

8. Missus James

Missus James Rookie

Sep 3, 2013

Thanks for the replies. Honestly, I just want to concentrate on finishing my degree. My internship isn't until next Fall, but I only have this semester and the next semester before then. So I am not too far away.

I loved child care for so long and I poured my whole life into it. Now I've fallen out of love with it. Preteach, you are absolutely right about getting the life sucked out of us. You get used to it after a while, but sometimes, there is a breaking point and I had mine.

9. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 4, 2013

When you find that perfect center, child care is wonderful. I got tired of being the bad guy and cleaning up "babysitter" centers. But, every word you say is so true.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Sep 4, 2013

Kudos to you for getting out of such a toxic enviornment.

11. WaProvider

WaProvider Fanatic

Sep 4, 2013

OH, I am so very sorry.....however.....that combined with a special section addressed to ex-licensensors could totally have been written by me! I feel your pain....and I wish you the best in the next venture. Where will you be off too?

12. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Sep 4, 2013

I feel very strongly about the quality of child care. When I present DAP, I am often cut down by admin. ECE is not the same as public school. If you love children, you do not qualify as a PS teacher. If you had 10 brothers and sisters, you are not qualified. Sorry, my vent is over.

13. Shiloh17

Shiloh17 Companion

Sep 4, 2013

I just graduated college in May with an Elementary Ed. degree and that is why when I was looking for ECE jobs, I wanted to focus on actual schools Vs. child care centers.I am so happy I found a Private school. ESP after reading this! Wish you luck...:cool:

14. Miss~Blue

Miss~Blue Rookie

Sep 10, 2013

Yepp had both of these things happen to me. Preach it! Best of luck! -pat pat- I'm sure with all of the nonsense you had to deal with, it just makes you a stronger person. You will feel like you can do anything in your new job. :p

15. tinytotsteacher

tinytotsteacher Rookie

Oct 9, 2013

I've been there! No amount of money was worth the headache, so I walked. Hope you find a good fit for you! Have had problems with childcare centers and preschools, I return everyday for the children, not my co-workers or parents. Be sure to say "NO", and say it often.

16. brightstart123

brightstart123 Rookie

Apr 30, 2014

Hi, In my opinion universal pre-K totally depends on the quality education given by individual preschools to the children. If the schools are only aimed at making more money by enrolling more and more kids then the quality of education lacks definitely as there is less focus on education.

On the other hand if a child is treated very well in a preschool and provided the best education so that he can grow and learn in a healthy environment then all the problems are solved.

17. Froreal3

Froreal3 Companion

May 14, 2014

Glad you got out of such a horrible environment! I have been in various centers with varying degrees of support. Some not good, some ok, and some great. However, after over ten years, I'm done. I'm also moving out of the child care environment into an actual school. I will still be with the little ones (Pre-k), so that makes me happy.