Leaving a TA job midyear, how to respond to any interview questions

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by MissD59, Feb 5, 2014.

1. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Feb 5, 2014

I posted about this briefly in another thread, but I decided to bite the bullet and resign from my current Teacher Assistant position. My administration pulled me from my position in December and placed me in the ABA room with a virtually nonverbal student with Autism who had a history of being violent. He was almost the same size as me, and was putting his hands on me on nearly a daily basis.

I consulted with the behaviorist, followed through on all behavior plans, and his mother always commented on how much he loved me and started saying my name at home. I was shoved into brick walls, had the hair literally pulled out of my head, was scratched, kicked, bitten, and punched. This happened to the classroom teacher as well. I filed incident reports, met with and sought help from my administration, who basically were just turning the other way and were extremely unsupportive. Most of our day was spent dealing with this student's behaviors, and it was impacting the educational instruction of the other student in the room as well.

The meltdowns were becoming stronger and stronger (force wise), and recently, I sprained my back at work. I asked my administration for restraint training (I have never been formally trained) and was told that it wasn't necessary. Between the injuries, and the fact that I am VERY uncomfortable putting my hands on ANY child, especially without training (and especially with the amount of force that was required to stop a student who was almost as big as I am), I decided to resign.

From a moral and personal standpoint, I was VERY frustrated with the situation, and am upset that it has come to this. I really tried to tough it out, and I've NEVER left another job in education before midyear.

If someone asks me during an interview why I left this position, how should I respond? I am very concerned as to how this could impact my future career. I don't want to badmouth my previous employer, but the things they were doing really didn't sit well with me. Is there a "correct" way to respond to this question?

Thanks.

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Feb 5, 2014

Personally I'd suggest you get on some sub lists, sub for a while and during the upcoming hiring season say that you wanted to stretch your experience to better prepare yourself for a classroom of your own.:2cents:

4. MissD59

MissD59 Comrade

Feb 5, 2014

I've been on sub lists in the past, though, so I already have that experience on my resume. I took the TA job for the health insurance mainly since classroom positions around here are few and far between, and right now I'm going on an interview for a full time TA position tomorrow that includes benefits.

5. ayla

ayla Companion

Feb 5, 2014

You definitely made the right decision. Did you file for worker's comp? I would just say that you were put into a situation with a student that continuously threatened your physical safety, and were left with no other choice when your administration did not correct the situation. I can't even believe that was legal.

6. bridgetbordeaux

bridgetbordeaux Companion

Feb 20, 2014

I had a similar situation and resigned in December. I had previously worked in an autism classroom with younger kids, and so I accepted a para job with grades 6-8 autism. I love the kids but there are 2 who are very aggressive and behavior interventions were not helping. I did get restraint training but physically had a hard time since the kids are much larger than I am used to. I explained to my P and he was very understanding. He wrote me a letter of recommendation so I could sub again for the rest of the year. I resigned before the situation got to the point where the admin might question my abilities. I had a job interview last week for a maternity leave, and I just said that physically I couldn't do the older kids. That P did not have a problem and I got the maternity leave. Good Luck.