Leaving a district after 1 year. Good or bad?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ahausma1, Apr 26, 2012.

1. ahausma1

ahausma1 New Member

Apr 26, 2012

Hey guys and girls,

I'm currently wrapping up my first year of teaching, and have hit a bump in the road.

I have my contract for next year, but am not sure that I want to stay at the district I am in. I have left a good impression on students/parents and have a great relationship with everyone in the building, but the administrative support and departmental support is lacking.

The students don't have consequences for their actions and it makes it hard to do your job as a teacher. Of course I am aware that as a first year, my classroom management will improve, but when your only options are a detention or principals office (which isn't a threat) it makes it difficult to stop bad behaviors. Plus, most of these students have their parents wrapped around their fingers.

My administration obviously does not know I feel this way. I have had 3 observations and the principal has had minor bad things to say about my teaching that are overshadowed by glowing compliments. They're starting a Spanish 3/4 because of me, which the previous teacher had tried to do for years.

For my career, I want to complete the next year just to say that I started the 3/4 program. But personally and for my own sanity, I would like to start teaching out of state. In particular to be near my new little sister. Family is important to me and I want to see her grow up. I would have to sub for a year in the new state, but the district representative I spoke to there approached me about a long term sub position from Nov-Jan. Good sign, right?

What are your guys's thoughts? Will it be hard to get hired as a teacher who left a district after a year to be near their family? Not to mention, I'm planning/teaching 7 preps without having a department! I'm the only Spanish/language teacher in the entire school, so I feel I have no way to better my skills without a support system.

I need help! My contract is due May 8th and I'm just so on the fence!

3. AlwaysAttend

AlwaysAttend Fanatic

Apr 26, 2012

Keep the job unless you can afford to be unemployed. This is no time to gamble with your finances.

4. sml522

sml522 Rookie

Apr 26, 2012

I'm no expert and don't have much experience but if you are able to afford the move and the possibility of being unemployed for a while I don't see anything wrong with leaving to be with your family. I would assume most people would not view your choice in a negative way.

5. lovebeingteach

lovebeingteach Companion

Apr 26, 2012

It does not necessarily look bad, but make sure it's a decision you will not regret.

6. ahausma1

ahausma1 New Member

Apr 27, 2012

I feel like I'll only regret it if I can't get another job because of leaving after my first year. I know teaching is what I want to do, but this school is driving me into the ground. It would do so to anybody. They let a lot of behaviors slide because it's a K-12 school in one building. The biggest class size are the sophomores who have 40 students---all the teachers here have been at the school since the students were younger so bad behaviors are chalked up to "that's always how he/she has been". I'm new and I can't make any changes to it because I'm the only one trying to change them. It's fighting a losing battle. But all of this can't be told to a prospective employer without looking poorly on me.

7. peachacid

peachacid Companion

Apr 27, 2012

If you can find another job, go for it. If you cannot, stay where you are. Remember that change takes time -- you cannot change the school in one year or even two. It sounds like positive stuff is starting to happen, though, especially with the Spanish 3/4 (is that third and fourth graders taking Spanish?) thing.

8. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Apr 27, 2012

Don't you have to do BTSA or something which is two years long? I would just stick at LEAST two years with the school and then look for new positions next year.

I feel that one year isn't long enough to really get established in a school and really understand the good points of a particular school. I would just give it another year.

9. 1cubsfan

1cubsfan Companion

Apr 27, 2012

If they are starting a Spanish 3/4 because of you, I think you should stay, a least for one more year.