leave

Discussion in 'General Education' started by LiterallyLisa, Dec 7, 2014.

1. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Dec 7, 2014

My boyfriend's sisterr is getting married in January. It is a destination wedding. Weve been dating for three years, so when this came up, his mom set everything up for us to go. Ill be missing THREE days of school! I wouldn't have done that if i had been making the arrangements. I haven't missed a day in 1 and a half years.

The problem, I don't have enough personal leave. What are my options? What do I tell my p, do I have to tell her anything?

Thanks, just don't want this to reflect badly on me...but if it will, what is the best way to go about it.

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Dec 7, 2014

Do you think your principal would allow you to take sick time?

4. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Dec 7, 2014

I know it is different everywhere.

She has warned that we shouldn't use sick time and then be seen in town shopping fine as can be (something along those lines)

5. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 7, 2014

For us our sick-leave is our personal leave. We get to use them however we want, but if you have it separate at your school, it may be different.

I would explain the situation to your P, and see if you can come up with a solution with her. I'm sure things like this come up with other staff members.

6. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Dec 8, 2014

I would have brought this up with my principal as soon as I knew about it. From my experience, the earlier they know about something, the more likely they are to respond reasonably.

7. janlee

janlee Devotee

Dec 8, 2014

If personal time is unavailable teachers at my school take the days without pay.

8. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Dec 8, 2014

Ditto janlee here. If you run out of personal, you take a day without pay.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Dec 8, 2014

We aren't allow to use sick leave for anything but being ill....but as long as you don't post pictures on facebook or share with lots of people, who would know if you were really sick.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Dec 8, 2014

We can't use sick days to travel (insurance reasons) and we don't get personal days. In your case, I would have to apply for unpaid leave.

11. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Dec 8, 2014

Ditto.

Once one runs out of sick leave, though, they have to take a day/days without pay. That's very expensive, as most teachers' and administrators' daily rates are pretty high!

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Dec 8, 2014

Be warned that here if you take a day without pay it can interrupt your contract as far as retirement and tenure go. Check with all the policies about that before you decide to go that route.

13. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Dec 8, 2014

The other option...don't go.
    Just because she set it up for you to go doesn't mean that you have to go. If it interferes with your own personal and work obligations, you could send sincere regrets.

14. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Dec 8, 2014

I would have made my own plans and tried to only miss 2 days (I'm assuming some time you will be there will be on the weekend? If not that's really inconsiderate of the people planning the wedding). 2 days doesn't seem as bad as 3 but it really depends on what your administration will accept.

15. LiterallyLisa

LiterallyLisa Companion

Dec 8, 2014

I know I should make my own plans from now on. Boyfriend offered coming later together but I don't want to do that to him.

Ive never flown before though, so I am not looking forward to doing it alone. :p

Thanks for the help, I talked to my p who was more than willing to help, whether I decide to change my flight or not.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 9, 2014

Make sure to stay hydrated while flying. I learned that the hard way my first time flying.