Leave tenured position for leave replacement?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by JAM826, Aug 25, 2015.

1. JAM826

JAM826 New Member

Aug 25, 2015

I am really having a hard time making a decision about this. I just received tenure at my current position but have not been happy there since I started. The administration is not supportive, they are very loosey goosey with rules, and the pay is low. I was just offered a leave replacement at my dream district. Typically I would say no to a temp position, however, I had talked to this teacher a few months back and she told me she wasn't planning on returning to teaching. Obviously that may change but in addition to her position possibly becoming permanent, there is another teacher in the department retiring. I just feel this is a really good opportunity. Am I completely nuts if I leave a perm position for temp?

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 25, 2015

If you are miserable enough to be looking for a new placement, then I don't think it is crazy at all. Sit down and figure out two scenarios, the good and the bad that might be the result of this decision, and then make up your mind. If I was seriously considering an offer this close to the beginning of the school year, it would most likely be a no brainer; people who love their jobs wouldn't consider the move, but every teacher who hates their job would be yelling "Take the risk!"

Good luck!

4. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 29, 2015

Hell I would do it. I worked in an school environment where I really was a black sheep and my principal was trying to get me out (my evaluations were great though).

Honestly, life is too short to be miserable and not take the risk. If you can do it, do it.

5. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Aug 29, 2015

I'm all for tenure, don't get me wrong, but I think it can trap good teachers in a bad environment. Teachers will take job security over overall health and happiness. Life is too short to be unhappy and miserable where you are. You spend so much of your life at work. Plus a happy teacher equals happy students (and a happy family at home). I say go for it.

6. teachartk-12

teachartk-12 Rookie

Aug 29, 2015

go for it…no security is worth being miserable.

7. Boba

Boba Companion

Aug 29, 2015

That's what I am finding. I'm now going to a leave replacement contract as well where you don't know if you will have a job year after year (basically the principal can get rid of you with no cause). I am just hoping for the best because I didn't get along with the staff at my last school and hated the city I lived in altogether. I'm now moving to a city closer to my family (can come home on weekends), better weather, and hopefully a better school.

8. SCTeacher23

SCTeacher23 Comrade

Aug 29, 2015

I would say do it as well. Do you really want to be at this tenured position forever that you dislike? I recently just gave up my permanent position for a 1 year leave replacement. After I started, I have been told by numerous teachers that this teacher isn't coming back so I'm hoping this will turn permanent. I would just say make sure you have some sort of back up plan in case the position doesn't turn permanent.