Leave Position Question/Dilemma

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by newteacher1005, Jul 3, 2007.

1. newteacher1005

newteacher1005 New Member

Jul 3, 2007

Hi all.

I just have a question regarding a semester-long leave position dilemma, and I am very lost.

Basically, I am a new secondary English teacher in a fairly crowded state. However, I am willing to relocate just about anywhere, and flexible about the positions I'm considering.

I've been looking for a job for a little less than a month now (I, perhaps foolishly, started looking in the state I happen to be in right now). Three interviews, but no luck yet. However, I have started to get (sometimes unsolicited) calls about interviews for semester to year long leave positions in this state...I guess they are in need of individuals to fill these here.

My issues:

1. I have been moving around a bit, from undergraduate to graduate school, etc., and I would really like to settle in one place for a while. I am in about as safe a position now as I will ever be, financially. I don't need to worry about money, as I have various relatives to stay with while I search. I'm up for relocation nearly anywhere in the country for a permanent position. Therefore, I was planning to just fill the next few months with full-time job searching.

2. For some of these leave positions, I would have to relocate quickly to a very expensive area. My concern is that it appears that leave positions often do not lead to further work at a school. If I took a semester-long position that didn't lead to anything else at a school, I am worried that I wouldn't be able to live on my own in this expensive area on a day-to-day substitute teacher's salary (and then I would be stuck with a year-long lease).

While I have no doubt that a leave position would be great experience, I'm just not sure it would be a good idea. Does anyone have any experience with these? My understanding is that it's a bit of a gamble regarding whether a school will have anything more permanent available for a teacher or not after one is over (and, of course, whether a school will offer it to a teacher or not).

I suppose I am partly wondering if any states are still filling permanent positions at this point. Many people have told me that July and August are often busy months, hiring-wise, but are these only for leave positions? Also, can a new teacher, without any experience, realistically get a permanent position in any states/areas, or do I need to do several years of moving around, taking short-term positions, before I might have a chance? (I realize that English Language Arts is a tough area, but it seems to me as if it is not quite as tough as Social Studies and Elem-Ed.)

I could just use some advice on any of these topics. My Plan B would basically involve moving to a place where I could live cheaply, day-to-day subbing, and looking in states and areas that are higher-need. Also, since I just started looking, I'm not sure if it's time to give up on a permanent position yet or not. Also, are LTS/leave positions sometimes available in August? Could I wait to fall back on one?

Thanks so much. I am just very confused right now.

-- Yet Another New Teacher

3. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

At least here in Fort Worth, July and the first part of August are still in the hiring window. Teachers have until the middle of July to tell the district they're not returning, so there should be a lot of permanent openings coming up.

I'm not familiar with the leave positions situation, but it might not be a good idea to commit yourself to live in an expensive area for a short-term job unless you KNOW that's where you want to stay. And you don't sound totally sold on the area you're in now, either (you used the term "foolishly" when you referred to interviewing there.)

Since you're in a relatively good financial position, you have the freedom to research and investigate other areas of the country where you might want to live, and check into the prospects for hiring there. Since you had planned to devote some time to full-time job searching, keep your options open. And, good luck!

4. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 3, 2007

Did you see this post, "Looking for Teachers" in the "Job Seekers" Forum yesterday?

5. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 3, 2007