Leave-permanent sub

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by lcr, Jul 14, 2007.

1. lcr

lcr Companion

Jul 14, 2007

Hi,

I'm going on personal leave soon after school starts because I'm expecting a baby. I'll be gone for about 3 months and will have a permanent sub during that time. I am planning on having the computerized grade book set up for her, a map that details what should be covered week by week (tentatively, as a guideline), the daily schedule, behavior expectations, and parent-teacher conference guidelines. Can anyone think of anything else that might be helpful to her while I'm gone?

Thanks!

3. Ilovefirst

Ilovefirst Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

I haven't personally had a long term sub, but one of the teachers on my first grade team did. And there have been several more throughout the building. Most of them have ended up there at the end of a grading period. I would suggest leaving any info on how to complete report cards, where to find them, etc. Not only will it help the sub, it will help the other teachers/office staff. (assuming you don't have computer generated report cards that don't need a lot of teacher action.)
    I would also leave notes/your policy on contacting parents. Notes about any contact already made and when you would contact them. (what reasons a parent should be contacted)

4. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jul 14, 2007

From the perspective of someone who has been a sub, it is also nice to have a "go-to" person. Is there someone on your team whose name you could leave with the sub (someone who doesn't mind to answer questions or help deal with unusual issues)?

5. lcr

lcr Companion

Jul 16, 2007

Thank you for the suggestions. I will have a contact person for the sub and I will be leaving my phone number with the sub as well.

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 16, 2007

Also let them know how you feel about them putting comments on your report card. My sub did this when I was on maternity leave & used "I" so it looks like me talking & not her. I wasn't happy about that. She didn't even consult with me that she would be making the comments...no sticky notes to the parents or anything. I had to do parent/teacher conferences 2 wks after I got back & she was not required to be there which I felt she should have since she did it all!!! Oh welll...done now!!!

7. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Jul 17, 2007

If you want her to carry out your routines and procedures, I would leave very specific details as to how you handle each routine and procedure during the day. I was a long term sub until the end of the year last year, and I couldn't have carried out the previous teachers routines if I wanted to because she did not detail for me how she did them. I did not feel that I could rely on the kids for this specific information.
    I ended up changing everything and making the classroom my own since the teacher was not going to be returning to the school.
    But since you are coming back, I would definitely walk the temporary teacher through these procedures so they know exactly how your classroom runs.
    Good Luck!